Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-02-2010, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can most likely provide information from an actual individual (upon his return) that is in Haiti this week.

He left on Sunday to take a large custom tent to act as shelter for an orphanage. He owns his own tent rental/fabrication company and is heavily involved in mission work.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by all ferris View Post
I love it. Lets borrow some more money from China and then give it away.
You do have a point. If China will not donate money we will donate there money for them.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
Well does this not apply to everything? Have you ever passed a man holding a sign asking for money and not gave it to him? Passed a car on the side of the road and not stopped? Do you give every beggar money? If you see a house in disrepair do you stop and fix it? Or do you need a natural disaster for a persons needs to have validity?

People tend to pick a cause and rally to it. They only want to help those that they think are not capable of helping themselves. There is plenty to do here and NO we cannot afford to help other countries. Your country is deep in dept and going broke. These same people who feel so strongly about helping these other countries selectively help there own neighbor here in the States. If you want to go then go but remember all men are created equal and that Country you are helping has the same exact opportunities as the good ole USA does. We all started from the same place they just chose to exist different than we do.
Heck there are still people from Katrina that need help? It's alot closer than Haiti.
You are correct. It applys to everything AND to everyone. I like to think that I do my fair share. I have given people on the street money, clothes, food, water, etc. Do I do it for every single one I see? No. I am just one man and I know that I can't help everybody, but at least I try. And yes, I've stopped and helped someone on the side of the road. Why? Because I've been in their same situation and although I didn't need the help, it was appreciated. And once a month a group of men from my church gather on a Saturday morning and go and help members of our community less fortunate than we who may need some yard work done or home repair done or something else. Again am I able to help every single person here and abroad? No, but I feel I do my share.

And I understand what you are saying about our country being in debt and cannot afford to help other countries, but I'm not talking about in this post and my previous post the good ole USA. I'm talking about myself. All of this I have done, I've done out of MY pocket. I feel I have been blessed with what God has given me, and feel that I can help a few of those that can't help themselves here in my community, my state, my country, and my world. Is it selective? Yes, but only because I'm one person, and I can't help everyone.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecOne View Post
You are correct. It applys to everything AND to everyone. I like to think that I do my fair share. I have given people on the street money, clothes, food, water, etc. Do I do it for every single one I see? No. I am just one man and I know that I can't help everybody, but at least I try. And yes, I've stopped and helped someone on the side of the road. Why? Because I've been in their same situation and although I didn't need the help, it was appreciated. And once a month a group of men from my church gather on a Saturday morning and go and help members of our community less fortunate than we who may need some yard work done or home repair done or something else. Again am I able to help every single person here and abroad? No, but I feel I do my share.

And I understand what you are saying about our country being in debt and cannot afford to help other countries, but I'm not talking about in this post and my previous post the good ole USA. I'm talking about myself. All of this I have done, I've done out of MY pocket. I feel I have been blessed with what God has given me, and feel that I can help a few of those that can't help themselves here in my community, my state, my country, and my world. Is it selective? Yes, but only because I'm one person, and I can't help everyone.
My post was not soley aimed at you and I applaud you for your charity.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I want to help out. Where can I send my check to help pay the interest on the money we are borrowing from china??? I heard on the radio the other day we have given almost 1$ billion in a 3 1/2 period. That is a lot of money and by the looks of it wasn't well spent.We do need to give some type of aid at the same time we need to look in the mirror and fix our own house..

Last edited by SellingIron; 02-02-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: .
Old 02-02-2010, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I feel that its not the governments place to tax me and send my money to another country. If they have enough tax payer money that it can be given to another country then maybe taxes are to high. Maybe the right solution would be to lower taxes let the American people decide who to help by individually donating through church's or aid organizations.