Register free!

Old 02-22-2010, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You're welcome. I have received a lot of help here myself. Everyone has something to contribute.

I'm probably not a good one to ask about the trenching machine. Also, you may find advice with more research and experience behind it that says go ahead and go deep. Personally, I concern myself with providing a firm healthy playing surface in a variety of conditions, so I prefer to work in the upper 12"- 16". We're rarely deeper than 3" for any work once a field is in service unless it is to repair a sprinkler or dig a temporary basin to pull water from. I have had deep tine work done though and it is a mess when they hit something in the 8" - 10" depth they work in. Farming, I'm sure, is always better off deeper. Their implements tear deeper too.

I meant to ask earlier, are you planning any electrical work such as field lights or a scoreboard?

Good luck with this project. I'm sure the kids will appreciate your efforts.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, over the next 2-3 years we will have a fence, scoreboard, crow's nest, and team dug-outs, funds permitting. Anything will be a huge improvement.
I got the book yesterday and already got some great information on patterns and techniques for drain installation. I have yet to talk to the local university people so that is next.
thanks again
Old 11-10-2010, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Just an FYI on this project. I have posted a description with some photos on a hydroseeding site at this address:
http://www.hydroseeding.org/forum/index.php?board=21.0
The project went well despite the general contractors poor choice of tillage equipment. I imagine compaction issues will be my main concern for the first couple years. It is off to a good start though. I'll try to attach photos from tonights mowing, two months after the seeding.
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2010, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You did a great job with this. Congratulations on such fine results. The description at your link above is interesting. However, I was unable to get photos there to load and would like to see any you care to share of the work in progress.

Maintaining control of the irrigation system is smart. Have you had a chance to see how well dain tile is working by viewing the discharge end after a heavy rain? Will this field be used for practices or just games?
Old 11-19-2010, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, I had a lot of fun with this. I'll get some more photos up tonight at home.
I can't see the discharge end of the tile , we were able to tie into an existing drain tile and save a lot of excavation. It's four feet deep where we tied in. The field has drained fairly well but was very compacted during construction and had one low spot on the edge that had to be filled and reseeded but it is going to be fine next spring. The grass really grows well over the trench so I know compaction is an issue.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Here are a few photos of the whole project. The field was disked in the rain to begin with, after a very wet summer. I was going nuts inside but it was an all volunteer job so kept my mouth shut. After the sod lay for a couple weeks it was redisked and the contractor did the field "shaping" with the big Case tractor, a cultimucher that had only a roller packer unit on it and dragging about a 25' I-beam behind. Needless to say he just kind of knocked off some tops and drug in some lows, no real field shaping.
We trenched in with a 6" trencher going as deep as 32". The field had a natural slope from one end to the other so we just trenched uphill and eased the trencher out as well. The shallowest we were was @ 20 to the bottom of the trench. The contractor placed @ 12" of washed river rock on top of the tile before backfilling with the native soil. I know that is not ideal but it is a million times better than no tile. I think by next fall the soil should have developped some new capillaries to get to the tile.
The last two photos are after back filling but before the next round of tillage.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2010, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

I could only load 5 in the last post. Here we have a player helping to spread compost before I re disked and box scraped. They put on @ 20 tons, I made it a conditioning workout in the preseason so they scooped it into wheel barrows and ran it to the field, up a ramp and dumped into the spreader. Took us about 8 hours total.
There is a picture of the tractor and boxscraper I used to finish grade and smooth the field. The disk I was given left a very uneven finish so I went over the field in five different directions with the scraper set just barely moving dirt.
Then there's me spraying mud. Took two days by myself for the two acres and getting water from a stream a couple blocks away. It was my first big hydroseeding project so I learned a lot.
The next photo is 10 days after seeding and then 30 days after seeding for a thank you add we put in the paper. Thats just a few of the boys and girl's from the two squads and two other coaches. We have about 60 kids that participate in a school of 575. The program is entering its tenth year and now we have a real field!
I'm sure I'll be back on here with more questions next year but I am planning now to core aerate next spring when moisture conditions are right and topdress with more compost and I will maybe have some sand for any settling I may have over the tile trenches.
Thanks for reading about my baby
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2010, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That is some big equipment! What I have is pretty modest but I am able to get it done.

This was a nice project that will provide a long, long term benefit to your town/school. Getting those kids involved was a good idea; they will never take the field for granted. It really grew in well for you. Nice job and thanks for showing it here.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
That is some big equipment! What I have is pretty modest but I am able to get it done.

This was a nice project that will provide a long, long term benefit to your town/school. Getting those kids involved was a good idea; they will never take the field for granted. It really grew in well for you. Nice job and thanks for showing it here.
Thanks Foreplease,
your are right , the equipment was huge, the contractor builds roads so has lots of big toys.
I hope the boys have an appreciation of the the work done by so many people in the community. I talked to them about it and had them write thank you notes to everyone involved. Probably won't sink in til years later , though.
Thanks for your input and interest as well, there is so much to be learned on this site, we rookies sure appreciate all the help we get.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My question is, Where did MHS come up with the money to do a major renovation like that.

Last I heard they were as broke as all the other schools in IL.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.