Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-20-2010, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oil additive?

One of our diesel engines, duramax 6.6, has had some minor leaks in the seals around the block. Nothing major, just every couple of months right before the oil change we ll notice it gets a little low. No biggie. Question here is it seems that the oil is breaking down. Sooner than any other vehicles. Oil pressure hangs out at the low side of the gauge at idle and not a whole lot higher until you really start driving. ANy additives to throw into the oil to basically stiffen it up some? Almost like a radiator stop-leak but for the oil.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry no advice for additives, not sure I would want to plug stuff up in the block, however I have a duramax that has low pressure on idle and seems to be loosing a little bit of oil too. I think it would be cheaper to just add a quart of oil instead of risking putting some additive into the engine. DUramax replacement isn't cheap. I used syn Rotello and it doesn't seem to break down any faster than any other engine.

"Impossible" is a word found only in the dictionary of fools. -Napoleon
Old 01-20-2010, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yours does it too? Heard this from a couple of people now. You find the synthetic is better?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

If you have oil leaks there is no choice but fix them. As for oil pressure the only way you are going to know is with a mechanical gauge the stock one isn't reliable.

With a mechanical gauge on a warm engine you should see 30 PSI or a little lower. I never did trust electric gauges they are not accurate you could have a failing oil pressure switch and it gives you a false pressure reading.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure if it helps but I run a quart of Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer in both my trucks. I run in in my car engines as well! If you have an oil burning issue, this will reduce that a little bit depending on how bad the problem is.
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 01-20-2010, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't use oil additives. Oils are forumlated with correct levels for whatever application. Adding stuff to it could make the oil less effective. If you have a leak then fixing it is the only solution. Lucas oil looks good on the counter in their fancy display but it independant tests it actually aerates the oil when running in the engine, and last i checked air doesnt lubricate.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats what I was looking for J & R, And GR yes we know it needs to be fixed however mechanic said it would take quite some time to pull the stuff apart and get the new seals in there. Cant afford to have the truck laid up that long as of right now but soon. Must be done!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srl28 View Post
Thats what I was looking for J & R, And GR yes we know it needs to be fixed however mechanic said it would take quite some time to pull the stuff apart and get the new seals in there. Cant afford to have the truck laid up that long as of right now but soon. Must be done!
as long as its not pouring out I wouldnt worry about it to much
Old 01-20-2010, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

If its leaking you really don't want to be running synthetic it is a little expensive.

No don't run that Lucas crap it will distroy your engine its snake oil.

In the summer run a straight 30w it will keep the oil leaks a little less even maybe run 40w it is a little heavier usually for 2 stroke detroits just watch it usually is a little higher detergent oil.

If the leaks are real bad strap some oil diapers under the engine to catch the leaks
Old 01-20-2010, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ha oil diapers! we run Rotella 15 40 in all the diesels, always have. Not the synthetic. When I say it leaks, it hardly leaks, about 2 quarts over say 4 months or more. Hard to tell. Any idea what it would cost to get the seals re done?