Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2010, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the bobcat. Everything is rebuildable on the frame and more power to the mower deck with the cat.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

hey ron ayer motorsports thanks for the info and to be specific I am looking at the procat (not the dx) in a 52 inch deck or at the hustler z not the super z in a 54 inch deck- both manufacturers probably offer similiar powerplants- looking in the 23 to 25 hp range
Old 01-22-2010, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSide Cutter View Post
Been looking at both a Hustler and a Bobcat. What is the diff. between a Z and a SuperZ. Sure can save alot money over my Scags but is it the right move.
The super z has flex forks, a suspension seat, and high capacity pumps and motors, also hustler claims the super z to go 15mph vs. the z only going 10mph.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm most interested in cut quality speed isn't that much of a factor- 8 to 10 mph is fast enough
Old 01-22-2010, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
I'm most interested in cut quality speed isn't that much of a factor- 8 to 10 mph is fast enough
Thats why I just sold my 2009 Super Z I dont want to go 15mph I mow at 7-9 mph. The Super Z's XR7 cut on northern grass is ok but has room for improvement my Lazer Z cuts way better and I would say the cut on my old Bob-Cat is better than the Super Z but not as good as my Lazer Z. Also the size of the pumps on the Super make the the engine bog down real bad when you first push the sticks or go up any hills so you will need a larger engine on the super z to have the same power as a Bob-Cat with a smaller engine. So the super z will have a higher initial cost and it will consume more fuel because you will need a larger engine.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
hey ron ayer motorsports thanks for the info and to be specific I am looking at the procat (not the dx) in a 52 inch deck or at the hustler z not the super z in a 54 inch deck- both manufacturers probably offer similiar powerplants- looking in the 23 to 25 hp range
Looks like Pro Cat is making every attempt possible to make a machine close to the Hustler Machine. And they've done a decent job great looking machine and constructed well and even tried to imitate our warranties. But their deck while impressive at first glance is base metal 10 Ga with only 7Ga reinforcements, nothing wrong with this. However, when comparing to a Hustler Z XR-7 our deck is constructed with base 7Ga. Leading edge reinforced with 1/2" Steel, plus another 7Ga steel wall with reinforcing gussets supporting this massive leading edge. Leading edge is backed by not just a Factory defects like the Bobcat, but to never bend for LIFE. Our topside of the deck is constructed of a base 7GA reinforced 10GA across the length of the bolted Hardware and Spindles. And where each cast-iron spindle is mounted another 7GA steel ring. Making what are usually the Week points of others our strongest points almost a 1/2" thick. Not to Mention our Frame is covered for Life as well. The STAINLESS Steel (not Rubber) Hydraulic lines and facelock seals are covered for life against breaks or leaks as well. Again Bob Cat makes a great machine, but dollar for dollar, warranty for warranty. I think you'll be better satisfied with the Hustler Z, now available with a 29hp Kawasaki.

But thats for you to decide for yourself. And it always pays to have a good servicing dealer.

Derek's (Me) Personal Equipment

STIHL MS230 C-BE ON WISH LIST!
STIHL HS 45 18" (2008)
STIHL FS 80R (2001)
STIHL SH 86 (2009)
STIHL MM 55 YARD BOSS (2008)
YARD BOSS EQUIPPED W/
EDGER ATTACHMENT/AERATOR/WEIGHT KIT/TILLER
HONDA HRR216VKA (2008)
2010 Toyota Tundra SR5
Better Built 6x12 Trailer
Old 01-23-2010, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If Hustler fixes their Hydraulic, electric (pigtails switches etc) problems and installs a heat shield standard then Hustler is a clear choice. I think they have addressed the wheel motor issues.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

All these issues were addressed a couple years ago.

STIHL HS 45 18" (2008)
STIHL FS 80R (2001)
STIHL SH 86 (2009)
YARD BOSS EQUIPPED W/
HONDA HRR216VKA (2008)
2010 Toyota Tundra SR5
Old 01-23-2010, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just currious but is the frame on the hustler warrantied against breakage or will the warranty for being bent?

The Procat is actually the original predator pro unit. with the 12cc pumps. I think you cannot go wrong with either machine I personally would go with the bobcat but I have my reasons for that like some of the things that have been mentioned earlier.

If you are stuck on the hustler you might go look at the Big Dog mower same thing just red in color.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WREBELMACHINE View Post
Just currious but is the frame on the hustler warrantied against breakage or will the warranty for being bent?

The Procat is actually the original predator pro unit. with the 12cc pumps. I think you cannot go wrong with either machine I personally would go with the bobcat but I have my reasons for that like some of the things that have been mentioned earlier.

If you are stuck on the hustler you might go look at the Big Dog mower same thing just red in color.
NO IT'S NOT. MAJOR DIFFERENCES IN ENGINE OPTIONS AND FRAME, DECK QUALITY AND CUT! WARRANTIES ARE MAJOR DIFFERENCES AS WELL. LESS QUALITY MACHINE!

As for Hustler frame warranties they back the frame for bending in normal use and for broken welds or broken frame.

STIHL HS 45 18" (2008)
STIHL FS 80R (2001)
STIHL SH 86 (2009)
YARD BOSS EQUIPPED W/
HONDA HRR216VKA (2008)
2010 Toyota Tundra SR5