Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-21-2010, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Trailer size 10 ft vs 14 ft pros and cons

I currently have a 5 by 10 single axle trailer. I would like to get something bigger like a tandem axle 14 foot trailer. I am currently fine with the 10 footer, but the trailer is tight and I think I need a little bit bigger. I just want to know if there are any cons to having a larger trailer besides extra weight/gas mileage. Also storage can be a little issue as it will be real tight in my garage. Are there any other cons that you can think of?
Pros: Backing will be easier, more available space on trailer, heavier axle, etc. Are there any other pros I am not thinking of?
Old 01-21-2010, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I final got one last season. I went with the Big Tex single axle 14ft. Love it. I had the 5x10 for 9 years. I put a basket on the front of the 14ft, some weed eater racks and backpack blower mounts. I made all that stuff for it. I got the trailer from All American Trailers in Omaha NE and paid $1,730 ish. I spent probably $150 on all material to build the accessories. Buy one you'll like it. Double axle trailers get you in a little bigger weight class and then you have to get DOT Brakes and all the goods that go with that, But I have DOT numbers anyways just because I play the game. I pull it with a 98 F-150 with no problems.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbaylawns View Post
I final got one last season. I went with the Big Tex single axle 14ft. Love it. I had the 5x10 for 9 years. I put a basket on the front of the 14ft, some weed eater racks and backpack blower mounts. I made all that stuff for it. I got the trailer from All American Trailers in Omaha NE and paid $1,730 ish. I spent probably $150 on all material to build the accessories. Buy one you'll like it. Double axle trailers get you in a little bigger weight class and then you have to get DOT Brakes and all the goods that go with that, But I have DOT numbers anyways just because I play the game. I pull it with a 98 F-150 with no problems.
You can get a 6X16 dual axle Landscape trailer for around $2K. For that money you get 4 wheel brakes already installed. Even on your single axle you should have brakes due to the weight. Figuring a 5K axle on it and a 5K load puts you at nearly the same weight as your truck. If only a 3.5K axle, it still should have brakes. A 7K tandem axle won't put you in a CDL class unless your truck weighs or is rated at 19K or more loaded.

The con is tire wear if you make tight turns.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyNut View Post
The con is tire wear if you make tight turns.
That's for certain! Buy used radial tires every cople years, it's a good low cost alternative to buying new. I have this problem with nearly every trailer I own that's a tandem. Especially with my one RV (now sold). I'd need new tires every 2-3 seasons, but it was pulled 12-16K/yr. Paved, tight cornered recreation areas are the worst.

My landscape is a single axle 4x8. The frame has started to rot through and I know it won't pass the safety in the spring, so I'll most likely pick up a 5x12 3500lb axle and mount a box on the front for storage and fuel.