Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2010, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for the comments! so far I really like the Boss. I could not be happier with the SmartHitch system is is by far the easiest plow I have ever had to hook up. We'll see how it does the rest of the season, but so far I am sold on Boss.

Also, keep in mind, all this snow was south of me, so I have yet to actually plow any of my own accounts. Right now I am up to about 30 driveways and 2 small parking lots. I run a VERY tight route, so it should be perfect.

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Old 12-07-2010, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRi24 View Post
and a video of my friend Steve's truck plowing a driveway. Its a 1993 Chevy 3500 6.2 Non-Turbo Diesel (dont ask lol). the thing is a beast for what it is though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW9MVJfNRFU
So is there any grass left in that yard?
Old 12-07-2010, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitrack View Post
Haha I was thinking the same thing. I was waiting for the mail box to get plowed down too lol

1994 F-150 XLT 4X4 8' Uni-Mount
1995 7.3L F-250 XLT 4X4 9' Uni-Mount & Pro Flo Spreader
2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Stihl BR-550&600 Backpack Blower
Stihl BG-86 Handheld Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmers
Snapper Commercial Power Rake/Slit Seeder
Ryan Aerator
Husqvarna 235 Chainsaw 16" Bar
Old 12-07-2010, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Freak View Post
Haha I was thinking the same thing. I was waiting for the mail box to get plowed down too lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitrack View Post
we did pretty good actually. I should have taken some pics of the rest of the subdivision. Thats pretty much how every driveway is plowed, theres really no other way to do it. The snow was so wet, heavy and deep than it was impossible to drive a truck up the driveway to push it out. There was like 1 small spot that i "oopsed" near the curb when the plow tripped and I didn't catch it fast enough. The one guy thought we were gonna scoop up the snow with our straight blades and haul it off in the pickups. yeah ok buddy haha

We've had a ton of snow in the past 48 hours here, and go figure my truck was down for the first half of the storm. Thank god I have a lot of really good friends who have plows and were able to help me out a little bit and keep the angry customers at bay. I got up at 330 yesterday and didn't go to bed until about 1:30 this morning and then went back out again at 7 to clean up a few things. Truck is all set now and I really need some sleep (and a beer!)

My Pictures:

Last edited by RLS24; 12-07-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRi24 View Post
we did pretty good actually. I should have taken some pics of the rest of the subdivision. Thats pretty much how every driveway is plowed, theres really no other way to do it. The snow was so wet, heavy and deep than it was impossible to drive a truck up the driveway to push it out. There was like 1 small spot that i "oopsed" near the curb when the plow tripped and I didn't catch it fast enough. The one guy thought we were gonna scoop up the snow with our straight blades and haul it off in the pickups. yeah ok buddy haha

We've had a ton of snow in the past 48 hours here, and go figure my truck was down for the first half of the storm. Thank god I have a lot of really good friends who have plows and were able to help me out a little bit and keep the angry customers at bay. I got up at 330 yesterday and didn't go to bed until about 1:30 this morning and then went back out again at 7 to clean up a few things. Truck is all set now and I really need some sleep (and a beer!)

Yeah I had a couple storms last year where I had to push it like that, just looked like he wasn't lifting the blade up quite enough but obviously he was
Old 12-17-2010, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

had a couple plowable events over the last week and a half or so. Truck has been running good. Just got a custom Magnafloe dual exhaust put on last week and its great! I have been taking a lot of pictures and videos for my 2010/2011 Plowing video so look forward to that. in the meantime, I found this video I made like 3 years ago when I plowed with my Jeep. Not sure what I was thinking back then haha enjoy and hope y'all get as many laughs out of it as I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8cbfelsVV4

My Pictures:
Old 01-17-2011, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well, havent been on here in a while! Lots of updates. Had a few decent storms that I plowed. I have a lot of pics and video clips I will be putting together for one big video at the end of the season. I hate to say it but this winter has SUCKED! I thought the reason I bought a new truck was to not have to deal with problems and breakdown EVERY time I went out to plow. Apparently that has not been the case. As many of you know, I had the whole fiasco with the CEL in which the dealer had the truck for the majority of the first month I owned it. On top of that, I have since replaced the wheel speed sensors, blew a brake line, replaced the fan clutch, and now it needs u-joints, a tranny line, and there is a HORRIBLE clunking in the front end. After the last storm, I also had to replace the lift ram on the plow. Remember, this truck is an '06 with 38.500 miles. I have only put about 2500 miles on since I bought it and it has been babied since then. I feel that this vehicle should not be having all these issues, and while I love it aside from the problems, I cannot afford to continue to dump money into this vehicle and deal with its unreliability. I talked to the dealer and they agreed to take it back and give me a refund under the NY State Lemon Law. I'm going there tomorrow to sort out the details. I will keep you updated on what I get, what plow is on it, etc. I hate this switching trucks all the time. I was looking forward to this one being one I could stay in and grow with for years to come. Unfortunately, I cannot justify continually dumping money into it like this, so here we go again!!

My Pictures:
Old 01-18-2011, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Even a truck with low miles will have the SH** kicked out of it from plowing. I wouldn't buy a 40k miles truck with a plow, I'll take an 80k miles truck that has never plowed. What dealer is it from? That's good they are being cool about the lemon law.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguynextdoor View Post
Even a truck with low miles will have the SH** kicked out of it from plowing. I wouldn't buy a 40k miles truck with a plow, I'll take an 80k miles truck that has never plowed. What dealer is it from? That's good they are being cool about the lemon law.
I'm not gonna say what dealer it is, because they are not being cool about it anymore, and we are probably going to court over it. basically they are pulling the "well its a plow truck so too bad we're not doing anything for you under the warranty" however the main 2 problems that I have issues with were present back in October before any snow had fallen and have NOTHING to do with the fact that a plow is on it. According to the law, they have to cover the truck the way it was sold regardless of aftermarket modifications that are present at the time of sale (including a plow). So, they don't want to play nice, then I'm not playing nice anymore either. The fact is that this thing and its continuum of un-resolved problems has cost me both money out of my pocket for repairs, downtime to the point where I've had to hire other people to do my plow route, and ultimately a few lost customers.

If you want to PM me regarding which dealer it is and some more details I would be more than happy to do so.

My Pictures:
Old 01-19-2011, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Shoot me a pm about the dealer. I have had problems with dealers here while trying to buy trucks over the past couple months. I almost bought a truck from Liberty Motors in West Seneca. Really nice clean southern truck they just had a western plow installed. They said the title was clean, just a small rear end "cosmetic" accident. Took it out to my mechanic and put it on the lift......THE FRAME WAS BENT.....Carfax showed a total loss and salvage title in 2005. Rebuilt title was issued also, wasn't even the original color. They continued to try and sell it to me at thousands over book value and were typical used car salemen. Don't buy from them. Transittown jerked me around with some financing on 2 trucks, made promised they couldn't keep. I guess I was trying to buy out of my league though. The ONLY good dealer I've been to is Bob Johnson Dodge in Springville. Matt was an awesome guy, willing to help me out, and even sent a thank you card for coming to them. I will buy my new trucks from them in a heartbeat in the future.

Goodluck with your truck. I know how it feels to buy a used truck that seems good and then instantly goes to sh*t. I will NEVER buy a truck that has been plowed with before.