Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #821  
Old 02-21-2013, 09:30 PM
HPSInc HPSInc is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 389
That 14k asking price could come way down if you showed up and talked numbers. People dont know what to ask for their stuff it seems. Or they just wana start high. Or maybe they are high? Either way so much stuff is listed way more than whats its actually worth. If they wana sell it and could use the money, they will entertain your offer. Even if they dont jump on it at first, a couple days go by and they start calling you! More than once Ive left with something from CL for half their original asking price. Not everytime but usually a good chunk comes off that original number. Point out the flaws to the seller and shake your head a few times lol. Sometimes the sellers even lowball themselves worse than what I was about to offer. Ya never know man. Cash is King!
Reply With Quote
  #822  
Old 02-21-2013, 09:38 PM
RLS24's Avatar
RLS24 RLS24 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Amherst, NY
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPSInc View Post
That 14k asking price could come way down if you showed up and talked numbers. People dont know what to ask for their stuff it seems. Or they just wana start high. Or maybe they are high? Either way so much stuff is listed way more than whats its actually worth. If they wana sell it and could use the money, they will entertain your offer. Even if they dont jump on it at first, a couple days go by and they start calling you! More than once Ive left with something from CL for half their original asking price. Not everytime but usually a good chunk comes off that original number. Point out the flaws to the seller and shake your head a few times lol. Sometimes the sellers even lowball themselves worse than what I was about to offer. Ya never know man. Cash is King!
The problem is that its far enough away that theres a good chance I could waste a lot of time and money going there and not being able to bring it home for the right price.
__________________
Chevy and Ford trucks, Wright & Toro mowers, Echo 2-cycle, too much other stuff to list......

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Reply With Quote
  #823  
Old 02-21-2013, 10:20 PM
HPSInc HPSInc is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 389
i hear ya, in those cases i try to beat em' up good over the phone after a nice long convo about the item. Explain your not nearby and need to be on the same page before heading out. Atleast set the tone of "this is what im willing to spend if its worth it to me", maybe give a range....,then ask should I come take a look or is it a waste of both our time because thats where im at for a truck of this year? If he says hes willing to work with you then you know its worth going to see. Plus, you can always beat him up on price more in person too. tell him it needs work,more than you thought etc.. you need some of that money to fix it up. Most anything cool i find forsale seems to be hours away. So I do alot of phone bartering and feeling them out. If they seem firm or real close to it then its not worth the drive if its overpriced. But most times, even through TEXT messages, ive been able to get the price alot lower, then even more once i show up. usually stuff IS worse than I thought it would be when i get there lol. Depends how bad you want the truck too ofcourse.
Reply With Quote
  #824  
Old 02-21-2013, 10:34 PM
RLS24's Avatar
RLS24 RLS24 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Amherst, NY
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPSInc View Post
i hear ya, in those cases i try to beat em' up good over the phone after a nice long convo about the item. Explain your not nearby and need to be on the same page before heading out. Atleast set the tone of "this is what im willing to spend if its worth it to me", maybe give a range....,then ask should I come take a look or is it a waste of both our time because thats where im at for a truck of this year? If he says hes willing to work with you then you know its worth going to see. Plus, you can always beat him up on price more in person too. tell him it needs work,more than you thought etc.. you need some of that money to fix it up. Most anything cool i find forsale seems to be hours away. So I do alot of phone bartering and feeling them out. If they seem firm or real close to it then its not worth the drive if its overpriced. But most times, even through TEXT messages, ive been able to get the price alot lower, then even more once i show up. usually stuff IS worse than I thought it would be when i get there lol. Depends how bad you want the truck too ofcourse.
Trust me I'm as cheap as they come when it comes to negotiating for stuff like that haha I know how to play the game!
__________________
Chevy and Ford trucks, Wright & Toro mowers, Echo 2-cycle, too much other stuff to list......

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Reply With Quote
  #825  
Old 02-21-2013, 11:42 PM
HPSInc HPSInc is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 389
lol i figured i was preachin to the choir! Owning all the equip. u already do and being in this biz in general you gotta be good at those kinda things. I can be cheap too! its a gift lol
Reply With Quote
  #826  
Old 02-21-2013, 11:45 PM
skorum03 skorum03 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hudson, WI
Posts: 343
Just went through this whole thread and watched your company grow. I hope to follow a similar path. Keep up the good work.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
__________________
2000 Silverado Half ton 4x4
2000 Ford Excursion 4x4
2001 Ford F250 PSD w/8ft Western Ultra Mount
2014 John Deere Z920M
2011 Husqvarna 5424 ZTR
(2) Craftsman Push Mowers
Stihl trimmers
Echo Blowers
6x10 open utility trailer
6x12 Enclosed Trailer
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Reply With Quote
  #827  
Old 02-22-2013, 10:05 AM
KE-llc KE-llc is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: dirty jersey
Posts: 638
Offer him $12,000. Thats what those trucks are selling for.

I just paid $20k for a 2000 F450 4x4 83k miles oneowner.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #828  
Old 02-22-2013, 10:31 AM
RLS24's Avatar
RLS24 RLS24 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Amherst, NY
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPSInc View Post
lol i figured i was preachin to the choir! Owning all the equip. u already do and being in this biz in general you gotta be good at those kinda things. I can be cheap too! its a gift lol
Yeah I'm "smart" with money....I have friends that are "cheap" and it drives me nuts sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorum03 View Post
Just went through this whole thread and watched your company grow. I hope to follow a similar path. Keep up the good work.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
Thank you! Sometimes I stand back at my shop and thing "holy crap where did all this stuff come from??" haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE-llc View Post
Offer him $12,000. Thats what those trucks are selling for.

I just paid $20k for a 2000 F450 4x4 83k miles oneowner.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was thinking like 10 for that one. I am going to look at a local one today that seem promising.
__________________
Chevy and Ford trucks, Wright & Toro mowers, Echo 2-cycle, too much other stuff to list......

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Reply With Quote
  #829  
Old 02-22-2013, 10:41 AM
LawnMan19's Avatar
LawnMan19 LawnMan19 is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Where I need to be
Posts: 3,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRi24 View Post
I was thinking like 10 for that one. I am going to look at a local one today that seem promising.
Mike you got any pictures of it?
__________________
'' hard workers never slack and slackers never work hard.''
Reply With Quote
  #830  
Old 02-22-2013, 01:06 PM
RLS24's Avatar
RLS24 RLS24 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Amherst, NY
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMan19 View Post
Mike you got any pictures of it?
Just whats on Craigslist.
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/3555980474.html

Its kind of a pile, both cab corners and rockers are completely shot, its had a hard life. Truck has been for sale since like september the guy wants way too much IMO I told him if he wanted to get rid of it I'd give him $5000 for it. For that price I like dark blue chevys haha I'll find something for it to do.
__________________
Chevy and Ford trucks, Wright & Toro mowers, Echo 2-cycle, too much other stuff to list......

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:06 AM.

Page generated in 0.08819 seconds with 8 queries