Register free!

Old 01-22-2010, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pump Warning

This may be old news to some, but...

I went on the recommendation of my local supplier and installed 2 Cal Pump 8000 underwater pumps - on two separate water features. The first one lasted 11 months and was replaced under warranty. The second lasted 13 months and is now a decent tarp weight.

My advise, stay away from all things Cal Pump. Until they get some decent R&D, quality control and a better warranty we will not be using them.

I'm a little gun-shy of my supplier's advise at this point. They are pointing me towards the Matala line of submersible pumps, specifically, the MKH - 400. Does anyone have a thought these pumps?
Old 01-22-2010, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used Easy Pro for the last 5 years and have had to replace ONE pump and that was caused by neglect on the part of the customer. External pumps----I would not use anything but Sequence or Performance Pro.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Have placed into installs 3 Cal Pump PW5500's - I realize they are a different type pump but you give me pause when I read this as they are just hitting the end of warranty.

These lil' buggers here:
http://www.pondliner.com/product/cal...aterfall_pumps

Think they ran me about $105 apiece and wanted to give them a try. Like I said - so far so good but fretting some now too. I have 6 more that sitting in the shop.

Anyone have experience with this flavor???
Or suggestions if they need to be replaced. Thanks
Old 03-05-2010, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer that burns up her Cal pump every year and calls me to install a new one. She insists on continuing to purchase Cal pumps (I refuse to buy it for her) because they are so cheap. What she is not figuring is the additional cost of my service. Since outsourcing by some pump manufacturers began, I stay away from cheap pumps. They don't hold up and, in my opinion, reflects on me as far as using quality components.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Member

So you pretty confident it continues across all the pumps at Cal then? I'm not about to yank out working pumps but maybe I'll use something different then this year.

EasyP has a lot of different pumps I saw before - any better than the rest or all pretty good?
I hate AS so they out. Savios decent but short on lift. ShinMaywa sweet but $$$$ - looking for mid-priced pumps that will serve decent time before death. lol
Customers can always toss on extra dollar for upgraded pump - always advise them to do so when they have the extra money. Bidding around here all about money. Not top end or even mid but money money money.

I'm open to specific brands and pumps within the brand. Thx
Old 03-05-2010, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've only used Cal Pumps once and it is still going after 21/2 years running all year long. That's not to bad for this region, but I pretty much use Big frog pumps and Aquascapes pumps with a Tsurumi every once in awhile. I'm still looking for that hole grail of pumps.

Tadpole where are you getting your easy pro pumps from?
Old 03-05-2010, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I purchase my Easy Pro pumps directly from Easy Pro, sometimes from AKT. If you don't already have an Easy pro catalog, get one - 1-800-448-3873. If you would like an AKT catalog - 1-800-627-6213. Both carry a wide selection of product.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Update: the pump that was replaced under warranty has now failed (2 months of service). Cal Pump is going to be hearing from us. This is totally unacceptable.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Man - that is not good Summit. Not at all.

I asked around this am when a bunch of us were together. Weird as hell - only 1 guy has had a Cal go bad on him so far. Seems they mostly 2-4 years in use so not sure why the luck running different around here. Weird as hell.
Maybe it's the fact this particular pump is different or?????
Let ya know when they get fired up again this spring...if it ever comes

I'll look into the Easy Pro from vendors referenced too. Pondliner has been pretty good on most prices and I'd be surprised if the others to different but one never knows.

STL - the AquaS's been pretty good to you? I replaced several in a row a couple years back from that bad run they had awhile back. We generally fled the name for awhile around here but hearing more shifting back last year. So far so good huh?
Old 03-06-2010, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Buying any product from a company that outsources the manufacturing and assembly to a foreign country that pays their employees next to nothing is always going to be a crap shoot. Sometimes the product is good, sometimes the same product is a piece of Sh*t. Unless the company that puts their name on the product exercises some form of quality control, this will continue to be the case. Some companies omit this control to keep the cost down and the bottom line up. What they don't realize is that they are driving customers away because of the lack of quality and dependability in their products. Aquascapes had a severe problem with this 4-5 years ago, but I believe that they addressed the problem and corrected it. American made vs. foreign-made outsourced is a no-brainer choice. If you want quality and dependability, you must accept the fact that you will pay for it. Look at the product warranties. Most have only a one year, but the better pumps provide a 3, 4, and even 5 year warranty. Guess what I am going to give my customers?