Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2010, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Advice On Lawn Mowing High Scale Client Business

I have a snow removal/lawn care business in calgary alberta canada and need some advice on how much work I can really fit in per day. Last summer I used hand mowers and did small city lots but this summer I am gettin two ride mowers roughly 10 feet cutting width total, and well as one hand mower. My crew will include two others and myself. A employee and I will be on the two big ride mowers while another uses the hand mower and trimmer. I plan on getting 50 clients with 3 acres each at 1 mow/trim per week = 10 clients a day = 30 acres a day with three people working 2 ride mowers, a hand mower, and a trimmer. Is this possible? Or will I have to cut back on the amount of clients? Or hopefully, have room for more clients? I am looking to work 8 - 10 hour days 5 days a week. Loading, unloading, and going from job to job is relativly quick as I have a low trailer, and two other people to help move things along.

As well I am wondering are 50 rich clients hard to get? I have a good marketing idea to send two pretty girls door to door with panflits talking about the Calgary Lawn Salon and why they should either change thier servicer, or stop doing it themselves. I was thinking of usiing a reverse contract brekaing agreement stateing that if my work is not good, and they are unhappy and would like to break the contract, rather then them owing me a mow or two, I will owe them a free mow. As well I will be around 10% lower then the compitiion, and will be able to state that the owner is on every job site insuring satisfation and quality. Also I will be stating that all my equiptment is brand new. Do you think I will be able to get clients quickly? As well most companies like to start a month earlier then needed in calgary to get more money and I am going to tell peoplethat I want to start in June ratehr then May to save them more money. Im looking for people with 3 acres and want to charge them $150.00 per time and come once a week for $600.00 a month each client. I need 50 clients.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I would say that it looks good on paper but reality will probably be quite different when it comes right down to getting 50 with 3 ac!! Good luck on the door to door also- I would definitely recommend that you do that so they can meet you and see what class of person you are & what you are driving, etc. From their point of view, I wouldn't really want someone mowing my lawn just cause they are 10% cheaper if they aren't trustworthy, decent looking guys. But to answer your question, I'd say with 3 guys you should easy be able to do that amount of work without too much problem. Good luck.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The most important % of the landscape business is getting clients. Keep in mind that you'll need to schedule a huge amount of time gathering new business. Anything less and you may hurt financially. You will reach a point (sooner than later) where you're so busy servicing clients that you won't have time or energy to gather new clients. Hopefully you'll reach that point and be charging enough (low balling = business death) to hire a crew leader so you can prospect more and grow your business.

I've found a 3 man crew is the most efficient crew size. 2 persons and they get tired and slack off. 4 persons and over and it starts getting labor expensive unless they have a full day of large (profitable) clients.

Back to your question - it's HARD to get clients. There are a ton of LCO's out there and you'll have to be very consistant getting in front of the decision makers.

Bigger mowers will greatly increase productivity. Everything I do is geared for increasing productivity. Including highly tuned machines, high quality equipment, efficient service routes... all that reduces overhead and contributes to profitability. Cients however don't give a poop if your equipment is new or 100 yrs old, all they want is results! Regular season hours are regular for a reason... it's needed then.

As for prospecting, forget the girls and meet homeowners/property managers in person. Let them know that you're the business owner (everybody loves to know the owner of a business) and you're willing to go that extra distance for them, fairly priced. Be persistant and contact frequently without being a nusiance.

Propsect, prospect, prospect and your business will grow. Low ball and you'll be working yourself to death and you WILL fail. Great service, fair price, good time management, consistant prospecting and you'll do well.

GL!
Old 03-22-2010, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryLawnSalon View Post
As well I am wondering are 50 rich clients hard to get?
That depends on your definition of rich.

As for the sex appeal advertising, skip that and the complicated
guarantees as well and go read in the Starting a business section.

That is, I'm assuming this isn't a troll.

Because I can tell you one thing about those "if you're not happy we will even give you another for FREE guarantees..."
It ain't pretty but use your imagination.

Last edited by topsites; 03-22-2010 at 02:12 AM.

Tags
advice , business , clients , lawn , mowing