Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-22-2010, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Member

what is the date range for a typical lawncare contract

hello,
i am a full service tree service which is expanding this year into doing more of landscaping and a little mowing. i was wondering when i set up a contract what is the typical date to start the contract and the typical time it end the contract. i was thinking may 1st - nov 31st also if it helps i live in upstate new york thank you for your response in advance
Old 03-22-2010, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

They vary. Most are 12 month.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If it's just straight mowing, no snow work involved, for the smaller ones, I set them up from May 1 through October 31 and include any lawn work done outside of those times.

I'm in MN, so roughly the same seasons as you.

Some years (like this one) we'll have a very early spring and get started around April 10-20th, full bore.

Some years it snows April 10-20th and we won't get started until May 1.

Even the April 15th date, there's really not alot to do, just some light cleanup work.

Usually by October 31, any day can bring an inch of snow and shut down the leaf cleanup.

We've been done bagging leaves as soon as October 10 (hardly any leaves even down) and done cleanups all the way as late as 2 days AFTER Christmas.

So, if you're looking to have it LOOK like your customer is going to have a smaller payment, spread it out over 7 months.

Personally, at 7 months, I would start it April 1 and go through October 31. This way you can get some money coming in before you do much work.

The biggest thing that sucks is going out and doing a bunch of work, and have no money coming in.

The city and school that I do, I switched their payment plans to 7 months this year, with the first invoice sent out April 1.

I'll get about $9,000 just between those two accounts and probably MAYBE only mow 1 time that month. It helps tremendously with cash flow going into May.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Or you can say...... "For the 2010 mowing season".
Old 03-22-2010, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I try and sell either a 6 or 8 month contract, six months for just mowing and 8 months for all mowing and fall cleanup. Around here a lot of the time the leaves are barely coming down by Halloween, and it can go into December. I tell customers whatever fall debris I can't get by Dec 1st or if I'm shut down by an early snow will be cleaned up in the spring at no charge.
18' flatbed w/7,000 lb winch
Misc handhelds
Husky chainsaws