Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2010, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Member

first time buyer on a skidsteer

there is a couple different skid steers i have in mind and probaly will be purchasing one within the next week or two.looking for a tire machine w/ tracks that will lift atleast 2800 pounds easily. I have operated many different types of skid steers such as bobcats, asv, cat but never a gehl or takeuchi.

so, there is a 2006 model s300 w/ 1040 hrs i am looking at. has hvac cab, hi flow and comes with a set of metal tracks. also has 90 day warranty. asking price $25k. i looked at the machine today and it is in immaculate condition. barely a scratch on the original paint and no oil at all on the engine.

there is also a 2006 model gehl 7810 w/ 70 hrs on it. comes with metal tracks, 2 buckets, forks, hvac cab, hi flow and i think a 2 yr warranty or something. asking price is 35k. dont know if i wanna spend this much yet

also looking at a 06 model ctl80. has 1200 hrs, hvac cab, decent set of rubber tracks on it asking price $22,500. dont really want a track machine though

im leaning towards the s300 here but still undecided about my decision. so to you guys, whats the best tire machine out there and is the s300 above worth 25k? i will only be putting about 500 hrs or so a yr on a machine and dont really wanna be replacing parts all the time. any help would be appreciated and if anyone has a machine for sale in the 15-25k range let me know. Thanks!!
Old 02-06-2010, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

???

What is going to be your main job for the machine? I am a cat fan personally, I have two now 257b and a 297c both on tracks and I wouldn't buy anything else. That is a good price for the machine but i think they can do better on the warranty. If you bought a cat out of the rental fleet they give you a 3 year warranty. Warranties mean allot on a skid, they can cost you a bunch in a hurry if they break!!
Old 02-06-2010, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

To lift 2800 pounds easily just running tires, I'd say a 465 Case. If you were going with tracks(or VTS) then you could live with a smaller one. I know a Tak 130 size can handle that but then you are stuck with tracks all the time. It depends what you are doing with it?
Old 02-06-2010, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The TL130 will throw that weight around.
Mine sure does it easily with 3200 pounds.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 02-06-2010, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
The TL130 will throw that weight around.
Mine sure does it easily with 3200 pounds.
The Mustang did my two pallet of block trick about as good as the Case. I still would love to see someone retrofit a VTS on a Tak.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt@mcs View Post
What is going to be your main job for the machine? I am a cat fan personally, I have two now 257b and a 297c both on tracks and I wouldn't buy anything else. That is a good price for the machine but i think they can do better on the warranty. If you bought a cat out of the rental fleet they give you a 3 year warranty. Warranties mean allot on a skid, they can cost you a bunch in a hurry if they break!!
i am a cat fan myself, just cant find a decent deal on one around here. i build retaining walls and outdoor patios mainly so skid steer will be used pretty much for backfilling and material handling. we also do a little bit of excavation and some grading jobs but mostly residential retaining walls, patios, landscaping etc. how much can that 257b lift?
Old 02-07-2010, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Member

i have also heard some great things about the vts but then again not so great. a couple different of people have told me how much harder they are on drive motors and how costly that can be if they break. have any of yall had problems with the vts?
Old 02-07-2010, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I would say my 257b would lift around 2500 pounds. I do allot of the same work and i don't have any problems lifting block. Nice thing about rubber tracks you can still run across driveways and walks when it's muddy. Steel tracks leave marks! You don't find deals very often on a cat but you get allot more out if one when you want to trade up!! I'd call your local dealer and see what's in the rental fleet.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a nice low hour ct332 I would sell you for a song. My loss is your gain.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2010, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
I have a nice low hour ct332 I would sell you for a song. My loss is your gain.
Posted via Mobile Device
Does that song include the words "busted a planetary" anywhere in the chorus?

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96