Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-27-2010, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been busy I got the transmission serviced and changed the engine oil with synthetic. Kinda made a mistake when I put the transmission pan on I forgot to put the plug back in

Dumped 4 litres of oil in and said oh chit especially when that synthetic oil is 12 dollars a bottle

Anyhow the truck is good to go just have to swap the beds and the new truck should be ready to work. Glad I changed the engine oil it was pretty black and so was the transmission oil. Got the toilet paper filter changed for the transmission. With 6.0 trucks you have to use 5w-40 they run the best on it.

Have to borrow a friends tire machine to swap the tires from the 03 to the 06 if I had a set of tire spoons and some tire snot I could swap them manually.

Have to get the 03 ready to sell before seafood season starts when they get in a panic for a truck money isn't a issue.

The weather has been good I think landscape season might start early time to advertising topsoil hauling. At 60 dollars per hour if I get 2 loads a day a extra 120 dollars goes into the bank. If the season picks up this year I should make a extra 500 a week doing landscaping.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't feel bad, I just paid $1306 for my F450's service, full tranny oil flush, coolant, oil filters, air filters, tire rotation, brake inspection and new air bag sensor on passenger side.
And I just paid $360 for 2 tiny Bobcat tires I had foam filled for the hopper.
And now my Bradco Quick Attach kit is in the dealer's yard, and my $1700 insurance for the truck is due.

I'm gonna go visit my pot err..... I mean tobacco dealer tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 01-27-2010, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

You like the smoking the herbs ?

I can do 95% of the maintenance myself I did a brake inspection the other day had the wheels off checking the brakes.

Changed the fuel filters aswell the frame mounted filter is always a b*tch to do but I have learned how to change the filter and not get a bath in diesel fuel.

Probably a good idea that you got your transmission flushed you pull a heavy load and your in stop and go traffic.

I will never pay a mechanic to work on my stuff if I don't have to it is why I have 1000 dollars worth of mechanics tools.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Or buy a BMW. A Big Mexican Woman to act as a traction aid.
I hear they cook real good too.
LOL there isn't a roll on the floor opition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNSsYw3nBuM

just a $1000 in tools? you just began to tickle the tip of the dinger.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 01-28-2010, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Or buy a BMW. A Big Mexican Woman to act as a traction aid.
I hear they cook real good too.
LOL there isn't a roll on the floor opition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNSsYw3nBuM

just a $1000 in tools? you just began to tickle the tip of the dinger.

Okay here where lie's your problem. 2 loads a day of topsoil at what a F450 can carry legally is around only 5 yards max so 10 yards. Honestly if your only spreading 10 yards a day something is wrong, fix it!!!! On the best terrian I expect and demand myself and crew to spread 60yards in a day. On the cheap I can get 20yds delivered for $27/yd (AS in USD).

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 01-28-2010, 02:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post

Okay here where lie's your problem. 2 loads a day of topsoil at what a F450 can carry legally is around only 5 yards max so 10 yards. Honestly if your only spreading 10 yards a day something is wrong, fix it!!!! On the best terrian I expect and demand myself and crew to spread 60yards in a day. On the cheap I can get 20yds delivered for $27/yd (AS in USD).
A 450 could never haul 5 yards (legally), more like 3. If you are paid by the trip - it's all good!
Old 01-28-2010, 02:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Who says I'am spreading topsoil. Most people around here want 2-3 yards of garden mix for vegitable garden. We are paying upwards of 35-40 dollars a yard for good topsoil. Cheap lawn grade topsoil is 20 dollars a yard.

I also haul sand and gravel most of the time it is somebody wants navvy jack (cement gravel) or want sand to spread over their lawn or mix with topsoil.

You wouldn't find many people buying more than 12 yards of topsoil at a time especially when your paying 30 dollars a yard.

Lawns are not very common unless the property allows it. Most peoples lawns consist of a patch of grass that is 20' x 30'. Flower beds and using the natural landscape is common.

There is other work like hauling brush away to the landfill. Quite a few people fight with their little utility trailer and haul 10 loads to the landfill in a single axle trailer. I will haul it away if they have it piled up where I can get my truck near it.

I will keep doing the junk removal can be house hold junk to old scrap cars old scrap steel etc.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
A 450 could never haul 5 yards (legally), more like 3. If you are paid by the trip - it's all good!
I'am paid by the hour minimum 1 hour. To get the best topsoil I have to travel 45 minutes each way. It would be minimum 120 dollars for me to pick up 3 yards and deliver it.

With 3 yards of garden mix topsoil and my trucking the homeowner is looking at 225 dollars. They can have a tandem axle pick it up they will pick up 3 yards it would be 295 and if a homeowner had a single axle 5 ton dump 255 so it is cheaper for me to pick up and deliver.

A single axle 5 ton dump is 75-80 per hour a tandem is 90-95 per hour my F-450 is 60 per hour.

I can only haul 3 yards on my truck I only have 10 inch side boards on a 11.6 flatdeck dump. I don't want taller sides because I could go deliver a load of soil then I may go do a demo debris job.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is where you fail at business, GR. So you're saying you're only $35 an hour less than a tandem? This is why you'll go broke with your business plan. By spending about 55% more per hour, the customer gets 333% more material hauled in an hour. Thats simple math, they'd go broke paying you to haul 10 yards of material. I understand people sometimes want smaller loads, but those are very few and far between. If someone wants more than 3 yards of material, they're throwing money down the toilet by having you haul more than 1 load. And, if that's the case, you'd have to line up 3-4 of these 3 yard loads in a day to even work a full 8 hours. That's a tough sell, slick. Instead of having 1 client keep you busy for a day or two, you have to line up 3-4 just for a full day worth of work. See where I'm going with this? You've preached on here about how unproductive this size of truck is when hauling and here you are trying to market the concept. You're only going to make money with that truck if you're using it as a support vehicle; moving equipment, tools, etc..

Go hard, go fast, or go home

Last edited by Scag48; 01-28-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scag48 View Post
This is where you fail at business, GR. So you're saying you're only $35 an hour less than a tandem? This is why you'll go broke with your business plan. By spending about 55% more per hour, the customer gets 333% more material hauled in an hour. Thats simple math, they'd go broke paying you to haul 10 yards of material. I understand people sometimes want smaller loads, but those are very few and far between. If someone wants more than 3 yards of material, they're throwing money down the toilet by having you haul more than 1 load. And, if that's the case, you'd have to line up 3-4 of these 3 yard loads in a day to even work a full 8 hours. That's a tough sell, slick. Instead of having 1 client keep you busy for a day or two, you have to line up 3-4 just for a full day worth of work. See where I'm going with this? You've preached on here about how unproductive this size of truck is when hauling and here you are trying to market the concept. You're only going to make money with that truck if you're using it as a support vehicle; moving equipment, tools, etc..
all I've ever heard is a single is so useless, blah blah blah. And how a one ton dump is useless..

Now, look who is trying to find work for a glorified one ton dump/undersized single axle!

Quote:

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!