Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 01-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Junior M's Avatar
Junior M Junior M is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
I would like to have a machine for my own use it could be a well worn out machine.

The mini excavator market is flooded with guys with mini excavators all trying to get into the excavation business. Still wondering how any of these guys are making payments when their machines are sitting. A homeowner has so many choices now it is who will work for fuel and expenses to get the work.

I'am not in the excavation business I'am classed as a general contractor doing brush removal, trucking, demo clean up etc. The machine would be to make lifting and moving things easier.

Like I have said the mini market used to be a niche market that is long gone now. Mini excavators are too easy to buy with that being so all these people with them thought they were going to strike it rich.

As said the homeowner has many choices now they can pick and choose who will work for peanuts.
well if there is work out there to be done with a mini ex, there has to be work for a walkbehind skid like a Dingo..
__________________
Southeastern Services


Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Gravel Rat Gravel Rat is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 9,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmtn View Post
it would be worth your while to rent a mini and see what they will do. it would not be money wasted more like research. it would definitly be better than 5 gal. buckets. i and others on here i am sure have had their mini skids in some crazy places. at least it would differentiate you from the others that are struggling. and cost less to get in the game.
good luck,
The reason why you have to move it in 5 gallon buckets is the stairs are the only access around the house. I have had demo cleanup jobs that I have said no too because there was 3-4 tons worth of debris to carry up sets of stairs. These are wood stairs and they are 8-10 feet off the ground on stilts (4x4 posts) and the landings are sitting on stilts.

The brush clearing jobs some places you should have a rope around your waist so if you do slip and fall your not going to keep rolling down the bank.

Any of the tough building lots you must do every bit of hardscaping before the house is built. So if you want a flat piece of land infront of you house you need to bench the property using boulders and 300-400 tons worth of dirt. Once the house is built and finished you have no access to the front yard with any kind of machine unless you crane the machine over the house.

Some building lots are a acre in size but the only useable part is the foot print the house sits on. Landscaping is left natural if you want grass you will need to haul in topsoil.

I got out of the landscaping because it can be very labour intensive alot of work for little money.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Gravel Rat Gravel Rat is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 9,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
well if there is work out there to be done with a mini ex, there has to be work for a walkbehind skid like a Dingo..
A mini excavator can go where a dingo can't. A mini can crawl over ground using the bucket to lift itself and crawl into these places and dig what needs to be and crawl back out.

Lets put it this way you are using your feet on the travel pedals and hands on the controls going into these places with a mini. No way your hands will be on the travel sticks.

You really have to know your limits with the mini you are working on so you know how far you can go before rolling over
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Junior M's Avatar
Junior M Junior M is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
A mini excavator can go where a dingo can't. A mini can crawl over ground using the bucket to lift itself and crawl into these places and dig what needs to be and crawl back out.

Lets put it this way you are using your feet on the travel pedals and hands on the controls going into these places with a mini. No way your hands will be on the travel sticks.

You really have to know your limits with the mini you are working on so you know how far you can go before rolling over
I am done talking to you...

Its freakin useless..
__________________
Southeastern Services


Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-23-2010, 04:03 PM
AWJ Services AWJ Services is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ga
Posts: 4,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
I am done talking to you...

Its freakin useless..
LOL. I am suprised it took you this long.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Danny Boy Danny Boy is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 255
Nice truck
You gotta start a pics thread now to show us your endeavours work out
Good luck with it all and remember us when you hit the big time
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Gravel Rat Gravel Rat is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 9,544
Junior you don't even have a clue on what pushing a excavator is about. Maybe when you know when the seat belt is the only thing holding you in the operators seat your pushing the machine to the limit.

I would love to have some sissy azz jobs what you and your dad have had.

Come for work a landscaper here for a day and you would quit. To mow peoples lawns it takes two people to carry a push lawn mower down flights of stairs down to the grass. By the time you pack the equipment back up the stairs your dead.

As a constuction labour Junior you would maybe last 2 minutes and quit you couldn't take the real work. Pack 10 tons worth of lumber down a ankle snapping trail to the house site pushes your body to the limit.

When I was a construction labourer your digging holes by hand and digging trenches by hand because its not possible for a machine to do the job.

I would love to seen you try do the job that one of the building contractors has they had to move 100 tons worth of overburden off of a building site all by hand not possible with a excavator.

So I guess you should stick with your easy jobs Junior I know you couldn't do the brush clearing jobs I have done. Brush clearing is done by hand with chainsaws. There are places that I have had to do brush clearing a Spyder hoe couldn't even be on. On slip and fall you snap your neck you end up a crippilized.

All I can do right now is get my dump deck swapped on the truck I bought and advertise some more and see what happens. If there seems to be a demand for a skid steer I may consider it.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Junior M's Avatar
Junior M Junior M is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
Junior you don't even have a clue on what pushing a excavator is about. Maybe when you know when the seat belt is the only thing holding you in the operators seat your pushing the machine to the limit.

I would love to have some sissy azz jobs what you and your dad have had.

Come for work a landscaper here for a day and you would quit. To mow peoples lawns it takes two people to carry a push lawn mower down flights of stairs down to the grass. By the time you pack the equipment back up the stairs your dead.

As a constuction labour Junior you would maybe last 2 minutes and quit you couldn't take the real work. Pack 10 tons worth of lumber down a ankle snapping trail to the house site pushes your body to the limit.

When I was a construction labourer your digging holes by hand and digging trenches by hand because its not possible for a machine to do the job.

I would love to seen you try do the job that one of the building contractors has they had to move 100 tons worth of overburden off of a building site all by hand not possible with a excavator.

So I guess you should stick with your easy jobs Junior I know you couldn't do the brush clearing jobs I have done. Brush clearing is done by hand with chainsaws. There are places that I have had to do brush clearing a Spyder hoe couldn't even be on. On slip and fall you snap your neck you end up a crippilized.

All I can do right now is get my dump deck swapped on the truck I bought and advertise some more and see what happens. If there seems to be a demand for a skid steer I may consider it.
And thats why I am what you call a pussified flatlander..
__________________
Southeastern Services


Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Gravel Rat Gravel Rat is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 9,544
Just the way things are when you live in the Coastal mountain range your dealing with places that is too tough for a machine to be on.

Like I have said the new regulations for sewage systems have opened up areas that you couldn't use before. Now your into areas where its tough places to build on. The days are long long gone where you could use a wheel barrow to move concrete to fill the foundation forms. You need a pumper boom truck with a 50 foot long boom. It is at the point now these places you need a helicopter with a concrete bucket.

After these places are built a landscaper has to try design a landscape for the place.

One place I looked at has a frigging bridge from the front door to the driveway. The house is sitting on a bench cut out of the hillside.

When you supply a clean up service like I do the closest you can get to a house maybe 100-200 feet. It is a real b*tch to pack the stuff by hand but there is no choice. Pack some of this stuff up 40 foot long flight of stairs. I would beable to skid the stuff up the bank the house is built on.

One of those Got Junk or those franchise type Junk Removal businesses would go broke trying to work in a area like I do. This isn't no city where you can pick up the garbage off the curb.

I may invest in one of those chainsaw winches so I can drag demo debris or brush to my truck. It would save alot of time walking. Brush especially if I can get 500lbs of branches in one shot or chunks of trees up near my truck it saves dragging by hand.

Last edited by Gravel Rat; 01-23-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-24-2010, 04:11 PM
7.3 Rocket 7.3 Rocket is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 114
Let me get this straight: You went from an 03 F450 2x4 to an 06 F450 2x4 and are b*tching about the economy? You upgraded to a 3 year newer truck with the problematic 6.0 in it? I don't know if you were dumb enough to buy a first year 6.0 so that's why I'm not differentiating 7.3 - 6.0 here. A 2003 could have been either one but as far as I'm concerned the 6.0 single-handedly ruined the Powerstroke name.

The 7.3 with very few modification will run CIRCLES around a 6.0 and do it 10x more reliably.

My 99.5 7.3 Powerstroke with just an intake, exhaust, DP Tuner, and John Wood valve body will out-run, out-work, and out-perform your 6.0 every day of the week and do it more reliably. And I'll have less invested into my truck too!

And my 7.3 won't ever have an issue with a catalytic converter or EGR. Why? I have neither.

Also isn't Ron from BC as well? Isn't he profitably running an almost new Takkie at this point? Quit your b*tching and man up I know I, for one, am tired of your crap.

AND: Maybe instead of buying a new truck and a machine you could sell the truck and take the $ you would have spent then go buy cheap Jetta TDI and put a nice big down-payment on an apartment so you can move out of the basement. That is all.
__________________
-Pete
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:31 PM.

Page generated in 0.11682 seconds with 8 queries