Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2000, 04:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi all,I have a customer that has a bed on a small incline we want to put the letters &quot;C L&quot; in plant material.I need something for full sun,dense,compact,low growing 1 to 2 ft.high.yet trainable to form the &quot;C L&quot; and maintain it.Fast grower would be nice too,You get the idea.The letters will be apx.10 to 12ft each.Thanks for your input.<p>----------<br>John <br>
Old 03-21-2000, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dwarf boxwood (buxus suffruiticosa)<p>That or korean boxwood, I think buxus microphylla &quot;koreana&quot;....<br> <br>Anything that is going to stay small like this is not really gonna be a &quot;fast grower&quot;, but you should be able to get some nice size plants, like 18-24&quot;, plant them tight, and be able to trim it tighter by the end of the season.<p><br>
Old 03-21-2000, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh ya, a little diff't<p>If you want blue, try globe spruces (Picea pungens globosa), planted so they are touching each other. Will be a bit larger scale, but very unusual. Will also be quite pricy. Saw it done once, and looked great.
Old 03-21-2000, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How about Ilex Crenata Compacta - These might fit the bill, and probably beat the Boxwood for speed. Places around here use Taxus Densiformis too.<p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider
Old 03-21-2000, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One other option - to give you income every year - use annuals instead. Gives them color options every year, gives you $$ every year. I see companies around here doing that with their logos. Centauria cineraria (aka Dusty Miller) is used quite a bit - whitish-silver foliage.
Old 03-22-2000, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey just though you might be interseted, I think its a japanese barberry of some type. Tt looks even better at night when its lit up ( which could be done better)<p>http://www.unirel.vt.edu/vtsnaps/htmls/vthedge.html<p>
Old 03-23-2000, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all your help guys,I will work it up a couple of ways and see if I can sell it!<p>----------<br>John <br>