Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-24-2010, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

5.4 with some minor upgrades will pull good! What are you pulling?? diesel if your gonna pull a skidsteer. Every lawn you stop and go, does a diesel like that?, LOL!

To me diesel suck bec when it breaks down you are F*****! Time and money.

If you pull skidsteers and other heavy crap yes the gas will stress out and the diesel will take it pretty well but they will prolly cost the same in the long run when pulling very heavy stuff so its an even call.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Old 01-24-2010, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchiodo3 View Post
have 2004 F250 diesel 6.0 with trailer fully loaded I average 11miles per gallon. Enclosed trailer and equip weigh 6000lbs and I load truck with debris through out the week. Change oil and filter every 2000 miles. Takes over 3 1/2 gallons of oil($35). Oil filter and two fuel filters cost around $75 total. Change one of two tran filters every 10000 miles($20).Takes a synthetic oil in the transmission, price per case at ford was $70 last time I bought some. Prices depend if I buy cheap or from ford. Drove from Sarasota to Miami once and got 22MPG highway, truck only. During our last really cold spell my diesel did not like to start in the morning. Might get a heater for next year if this keeps up. I know Ford owns Cummins. If that's the case I wonder if they are going to start selling their trucks with the Cummins engine now that Dodge says they are no longer going to offer there full size trucks.
My gosh really??? Im so tired of this. Ford Does NOT own Cummins, and never has!! Also youre changing your oil way more often than you should. youre just wasting money..

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 01-24-2010, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHIPPLE5.7 View Post
I don't have an 2500HD truck. Those had 6.0 and 8.1 gas. Mine is 1997 with the 350. And yes jerkoff it does do better than my Cummins.
Nice, good job with the name calling. Showin your intelligence level...

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 01-24-2010, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNSLighting View Post
My gosh really??? Im so tired of this. Ford Does NOT own Cummins, and never has!! Also youre changing your oil way more often than you should. youre just wasting money..
Ford does own cummins. As a matter of fact you can go into a Ford dealer and request a cummins as long as it is one ton or bigger. They bought cummins years ago, but because of the agreement could only sell in their larger truck configuarations. You need to check your facts. The reason I change my oil so much is because I do a lot of city driving and I am starting my engine numerous time a day and I tow a very heavy load.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNSLighting View Post
Ok, ford seems to have owned a large stake in cummins at one time or another, but not 100% of the company. I am right about getting a cummins in a ford, just wrong on the owning part. My bad.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WREBELMACHINE View Post
We are talking about pulling MPG not just driving. The V10 is very economical HP with good MPG.
screw MPG, its ******ed.. Your buying a truck to move thousands of pounds, fuel mileage really shouldnt be a factor. Sure its important, but dam its def. not the deciding factor!

Quote:
Ok, ford seems to have owned a large stake in cummins at one time or another, but not 100% of the company. I am right about getting a cummins in a ford, just wrong on the owning part. My bad.
Dont forget you can only get a cummins in the 650s and up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 01-24-2010, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
screw MPG, its ******ed.. Your buying a truck to move thousands of pounds, fuel mileage really shouldnt be a factor. Sure its important, but dam its def. not the deciding factor!

Dont forget you can only get a cummins in the 650s and up..
Just found a web site that sells kits to install cummins in any ford truck or they will do it for you.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Just found a web site that sells kits to install cummins in any ford truck or they will do it for you.
you can make anything fit...

were talking stock, from the factory..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 01-24-2010, 03:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I remember back about 18 months ago when diesel was $5 a gallon a whole lot of people crying here on Lawnsite about it. There is no way in the world I would get sucked into a diesel unless I absolutely, positively must have it.

Diesel is already $3 a gallon in spots here in NC and as high as $4 a gallon in California and $3.80 in New York.

http://www.californiagasprices.com/7...040/index.aspx

http://www.newyorkgasprices.com/Mobi...642/index.aspx

They are raising the fuel prices so slowly that hardly anyone is noticing. But I am and I'm not happy about it.
I don't know about your prices, but that californiagasprices is BS on Diesel price. Just filled up 18 gallons of ULSD here in Riverside county at not 3.90, not 3.50, but $3.09 per gallon! The gas prices are close though. And just in case you thought my price was isolated, orange county prices were $3.05 per gallon... Did the website get their prices from san francisco?
Stihl BR600
Shindaiwa T2510
Shindaiwa LE2510
Echo HC-165 hedge trimmer
Echo PAS-260 + polesaw
Echo PB251
Husky 350 chainsaw
Old 01-24-2010, 06:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had a 99 Dodge 3500 5.9 liter Cummings; got 20-22 MPG with the trailer on the hook. It for totalled after some bimbo ran into the back of it.

Now I got a 97 F350 7.3 liter diesel & get about 16 MPG with the trailer on the hook.

I spoke to some people who own a 6.o liter 7 they said the mileage stinks... but don't take my word for it. Go to http://thedieselgarage.com/forums & get info from people who are driving & repairing them.

Ford diesels got problems... If I had to do it again, i'd cough up the extra money and get me the DODGE with CUMMINGS 5.9 Liter!!!!!!!!

As far as fuel prices go... I pay aboy 15Cts more for diesel than I do for regular grade gas. The Ford gets me 16MPG with the trailer. I rented a 250 superdutu with the 8cyl v-8. It got me about 10 mpg with the trailer on the hook & no power. just do the math 7% more for diesel = 60% more mileage & it's all torgue. I'm going with the diesel.