Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-24-2010, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyLawnscapes View Post
I have 2 2002 7.3 powerstrokes and a early 90's 7.3 non-turbo. He is right on the maintanence. It costs less in the long run. i can get 300k plus on a diesel and still drive work out of it. I would stay away from the 6.0's they are real bad about blowing head gaskets and if you put a box or injectors in them youll have more problems than that. There a good motor they just dont hold up. I would look for a 99-03 with a 7.3 youll have that truck 10 years later.
Ford shoulda stayed with the International/ Powerstroke engine. Ford has had a lot probs with their diesels when the ditched International.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

5.4 had a lot of problems.spark plugs shooting out,exhaust manifold bolts breaking, high oil consumption,and coils going out. i don't like diesels either.i'd get the V-10 or the older 7.3 diesel.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchiodo3 View Post
Ford does own cummins. As a matter of fact you can go into a Ford dealer and request a cummins as long as it is one ton or bigger. They bought cummins years ago, but because of the agreement could only sell in their larger truck configuarations. You need to check your facts. The reason I change my oil so much is because I do a lot of city driving and I am starting my engine numerous time a day and I tow a very heavy load.
Wow, no...not even close guy. You need to check your facts!! wow, what world are you living in??

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 01-24-2010, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchiodo3 View Post
Ok, ford seems to have owned a large stake in cummins at one time or another, but not 100% of the company. I am right about getting a cummins in a ford, just wrong on the owning part. My bad.
still wrong. they only owned maybe 20% YEARS ago, and you can only get a cummins in a 650 and 750. There are NO 350's-550's with Cummins in them from the factory.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
i had a 99 dodge 3500 5.9 liter cummings; got 20-22 mpg with the trailer on the hook. It for totalled after some bimbo ran into the back of it.

Now i got a 97 f350 7.3 liter diesel & get about 16 mpg with the trailer on the hook.

I spoke to some people who own a 6.o liter 7 they said the mileage stinks... But don't take my word for it. Go to http://thedieselgarage.com/forums & get info from people who are driving & repairing them.

Ford diesels got problems... If i had to do it again, i'd cough up the extra money and get me the dodge with cummings 5.9 liter!!!!!!!!

As far as fuel prices go... I pay aboy 15cts more for diesel than i do for regular grade gas. The ford gets me 16mpg with the trailer. I rented a 250 superdutu with the 8cyl v-8. It got me about 10 mpg with the trailer on the hook & no power. Just do the math 7% more for diesel = 60% more mileage & it's all torgue. I'm going with the diesel.
its cummins!!!!! No g!

Old 01-24-2010, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by integrityman View Post
Ford shoulda stayed with the International/ Powerstroke engine. Ford has had a lot probs with their diesels when the ditched International.
6.0 AND 6.4 ARE INTERNATIONALS. I cant believe all hese people without a clue...

Old 01-24-2010, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNSLighting View Post
6.0 AND 6.4 ARE INTERNATIONALS. I cant believe all hese people without a clue...
Dont tell them they are wrong though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

i own a '03 250 6.0. love it. but there are a good amount of issues with the engine that ford and powerstroke a well aware of. neither company will pay for any of the repairs. there is a coolant leak issue, not to expensive. egr valve failure, expensive. replace the common rail, thats the next one to replace. the last two rob your truck of performance and gas mileage, diesel is already way to expensive. but when the engine is up to par there is nothing like the power of a diesel. also ford and powerstroke have parted ways because of this issue, ford wants to develope their own diesel engine. so all of the powerstroke engine owners start buying extra parts they will only be available for a couple of years. IS IT SPRING YET! "Nothing runs like a Deere".
Old 01-24-2010, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflcl View Post
i own a '03 250 6.0. love it. but there are a good amount of issues with the engine that ford and powerstroke a well aware of. neither company will pay for any of the repairs. there is a coolant leak issue, not to expensive. egr valve failure, expensive. replace the common rail, thats the next one to replace. the last two rob your truck of performance and gas mileage, diesel is already way to expensive. but when the engine is up to par there is nothing like the power of a diesel. also ford and powerstroke have parted ways because of this issue, ford wants to develope their own diesel engine. so all of the powerstroke engine owners start buying extra parts they will only be available for a couple of years. IS IT SPRING YET! "Nothing runs like a Deere".
They parted ways because Ford sued Navistar for not covering warranty items, then Navistar found out it was other parts causing the engine failures such as the turbo's and injecters so Navistar counter sued Ford and dropped Ford. And as for parts they will allways be available.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornett22 View Post
5.4 had a lot of problems.spark plugs shooting out,exhaust manifold bolts breaking, high oil consumption,and coils going out. i don't like diesels either.i'd get the V-10 or the older 7.3 diesel.
True but all these problems can be sorted cheap, for a few hundred $ or less.
- carefully torque plugs and there should'nt be any problems, and if so a Calvan insert will fix it.
- regular use of dielectric grease should keep COPs safe from humidity and aftermarket units are cheap
- mine does'nt use much oil so I can not comment on that

Other than that the 5.4 is a fine motor. Since it lacks any engine character whatsoever people often mistake it for a slug, but the truth is it pulls just fine. Mine returns 13-14mpg towing 3000-3500lbs and without a trailer about 18mpg using overdrive.

I agree though a V10 costs only a grand more, gets nearly as good a mileage and can tow more than a 5.4
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601