Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-24-2010, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lawn Care View Post
only the 03 and 04 years were really bad. 05 06 and 07 are good motors. ealry 05 is still shakey.
Thats good to know. I was thinking that the later years where better.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilov View Post
True but all these problems can be sorted cheap, for a few hundred $ or less.
- carefully torque plugs and there should'nt be any problems, and if so a Calvan insert will fix it.
- regular use of dielectric grease should keep COPs safe from humidity and aftermarket units are cheap
- mine does'nt use much oil so I can not comment on that

Other than that the 5.4 is a fine motor. Since it lacks any engine character whatsoever people often mistake it for a slug, but the truth is it pulls just fine. Mine returns 13-14mpg towing 3000-3500lbs and without a trailer about 18mpg using overdrive.

I agree though a V10 costs only a grand more, gets nearly as good a mileage and can tow more than a 5.4

this has been my experience also...the tow rating on my truck (5.4) is 7100#.
kubota b7610 tractor, Vermeer chipper bc625a
workers comp., general liability, NC pesticide license
Old 01-24-2010, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloscaperman View Post
5.4 with some minor upgrades will pull good! What are you pulling?? diesel if your gonna pull a skidsteer. Every lawn you stop and go, does a diesel like that?, LOL!

To me diesel suck bec when it breaks down you are F*****! Time and money.

If you pull skidsteers and other heavy crap yes the gas will stress out and the diesel will take it pretty well but they will prolly cost the same in the long run when pulling very heavy stuff so its an even call.
Alright. For the most part I will be towing mowers and stuff like that. Every now and then I will probably be towing heaver stuff. We do so car restoration and now and then we have to tow one of them.

I'm thinking I might could put some upgrades on it. Would that help a lot?
Old 01-24-2010, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflcl View Post
i own a '03 250 6.0. love it. but there are a good amount of issues with the engine that ford and powerstroke a well aware of. neither company will pay for any of the repairs. there is a coolant leak issue, not to expensive. egr valve failure, expensive. replace the common rail, thats the next one to replace. the last two rob your truck of performance and gas mileage, diesel is already way to expensive. but when the engine is up to par there is nothing like the power of a diesel. also ford and powerstroke have parted ways because of this issue, ford wants to develope their own diesel engine. so all of the powerstroke engine owners start buying extra parts they will only be available for a couple of years. IS IT SPRING YET! "Nothing runs like a Deere".
You mean international. Powerstroke is what Ford Named the diesel. The new Ford diesel is called Powerstroke.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2010, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGiant94 View Post
Alright. For the most part I will be towing mowers and stuff like that. Every now and then I will probably be towing heaver stuff. We do so car restoration and now and then we have to tow one of them.

I'm thinking I might could put some upgrades on it. Would that help a lot?
You cant polish a terd!
Old 01-24-2010, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

so many people on this thread alone have no idea what they are talking about!!
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!
Old 01-24-2010, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay duncan View Post
this has been my experience also...the tow rating on my truck (5.4) is 7100#.
That's what I try to tell a lot of people. The GVWR for a 5.4 isn't much less than that of a diesel. I had a 2001 7.3 PSD and grew tired of staring at $1000+ repair bills. I know many rawe over the 7.3 but fact is they had their share of problems, nothing compared to a 6.0 though.

Just checked Ford's website and the new PowderSmoke is a $9000!!! option, that's one expensive ticket to a nightmare.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 01-24-2010, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lawn Care View Post
so many people on this thread alone have no idea what they are talking about!!
So many people in most threads have no idea what they are talking about; it is just more difficult to recognize in those threads.

Cummins isn't spelled with a g!!!!!
Old 01-25-2010, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

i do not by any means intend to offend anyone, but the facts r the facts $500,000,000 in warranty claims on the 6.0 and ford severing its relationship with navistar says it all. Ive worked on diesels for many years, the 6.0 is a mastery of complex design, and a mechanics dream. they smile every time one is in the parking lot or on the back of a flatbed and their smiling because they know u will be paying for their kids college tuition...........to be fair every diesel engine has been plagued with their own shortcomings just not as many as the 6.0...u might not like a dodge/cummins combo but they have 40% less parts to deal with and everything is accessible. No ford doesn't own cummins you can get cummins engine in class 6 trucks, as well as a cat motor. yes navistar counter sued and lost........and yes if your not carefull a 5.4 engine will puuuck its spark plugs........if u can a descent truck that has a good warranty then buy it, as soon as warranty is over get rid of it, u will be paying top dollar to fix it. I am only speaking from experience i know many here own 6.0's....................im sorry..... few of the bugs in that engine were redesigned by 07 model year, not all of them.

Last edited by mini14; 01-25-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini14 View Post
i do not by any means intend to offend anyone, but the facts r the facts $500,000,000 in warranty claims on the 6.0 and ford severing its relationship with navistar says it all. Ive worked on diesels for many years, the 6.0 is a mastery of complex design, and a mechanics dream. they smile every time one is in the parking lot or on the back of a flatbed and their smiling because they know u will be paying for their kids college tuition...........to be fair every diesel engine has been plagued with their own shortcomings just not as many as the 6.0...u might not like a dodge/cummins combo but they have 40% less parts to deal with and everything is accessible. No ford doesn't own cummins you can get cummins engine in class 6 trucks, as well as a cat motor. yes navistar counter sued and lost........and yes if your not carefull a 5.4 engine will puuuck its spark plugs........if u can a descent truck that has a good warranty then buy it, as soon as warranty is over get rid of it, u will be paying top dollar to fix it. I am only speaking from experience i know many here own 6.0's....................im sorry..... few of the bugs in that engine were redesigned by 07 model year, not all of them.
Wow, thats a very accurate post! Its amazing to see..

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com