Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2010, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzilla View Post
way i understand is ford is building this one in house..google it.. they have learned for the 6.0 days and this might be their next big homerun.
Old news we were all joking about who is building the new 6.7 Powerstroke!
Old 03-13-2010, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Member

I Recently just purchased a 2004 ford f250 xl regular cab truck with 65k and it has the the 5.4L V-8 330 Cubic inch rated at 260 hp at 4,500 rpm and 350lbs at 2,500 rpm and it has plenty of power for pulling a full load of grass/debris and shrubs and it does great for normal applications pulling a light utility trailer with my mowers and trimmers.

I get about 12 -13 mpg max at the best on the highway cruising and on average about 9 mpg pulling a heavy load up steep grades, but yeah the 5.4L Triton is a very dependable strong reliable motor and i hope it will last at least 150k with upkeep and maintenance with little to no problems. The 6.0 Diesel has 325 hp at 3,300 rpm and 560lbs at 2,000 rpm for 2003/2004 models and the 2005-2007 f250/350 models have the 570lbs torch rating and its a good motor when its running but the head bolt issues and turbo/ EGR problems are what people are most concerned about the 6 liter diesels, but they deffinately go get better miles per gallon problem 14-18 mpg max with full loads.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

cheapto repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilov View Post
True but all these problems can be sorted cheap, for a few hundred $ or less.
- carefully torque plugs and there should'nt be any problems, and if so a Calvan insert will fix it.
- regular use of dielectric grease should keep COPs safe from humidity and aftermarket units are cheap
- mine does'nt use much oil so I can not comment on that

Other than that the 5.4 is a fine motor. Since it lacks any engine character whatsoever people often mistake it for a slug, but the truth is it pulls just fine. Mine returns 13-14mpg towing 3000-3500lbs and without a trailer about 18mpg using overdrive.

I agree though a V10 costs only a grand more, gets nearly as good a mileage and can tow more than a 5.4
what if you're not mechanically inclined.the dealer charged my buddy $1300 to repair 3 ejected spark plugs and never touched the broken manifold bolts.Fords are junk and have been for years.My 86 Chevy C30 doesn't give me near the trouble his Fords do.I am a mechanic but I shouldn't have to be working on a truck that new.My 1997 T100 with 204,000 doesn't have the problems my buddies F-250 with 80,000.

If I had to buy a truck besides a pick up at this point,it would be a Mitsu Fuso.They seem bullet proof from what I see from the ones my buddies own.If I had to replace my Toyota T100,it would be a Tundra.Americans have a long way to go as far as trucks.I won't buy another American truck until the US manufacturers get out from under the Union scum suckers.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornett22 View Post
what if you're not mechanically inclined.the dealer charged my buddy $1300 to repair 3 ejected spark plugs and never touched the broken manifold bolts.
That sounds weird. For that money a new head should be in order and to access requires manifold removal. Anyway, most 5.4 repair work is cheap, even at dealerships, especially compared to a 6.0 powerstroke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornett22 View Post
If I had to replace my Toyota T100,it would be a Tundra.Americans have a long way to go as far as trucks.I won't buy another American truck until the US manufacturers get out from under the Union scum suckers.
From personal experience I can tell you toyota's are a poor buy. Up to 2001 their cars were quality, after 2004 that started slipping and beyond 2008 is simply junk. Guaranteed serious failures combined with ludicrously overpriced parts ensure they become a money pit or junk pile. I know you don't believe me, but one day you will.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 03-14-2010, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The 5.4 can hold it's own but don't expect more than 15mpg highway. Diesel isn't much better empty but can be beneficial when pulling a lot of weight to see a slight mpg increase. Diesel will also give you better resale as the miles pile on. From a maintenance stand point I'd probably opt for the 5.4L, only because I do my own maintenance and it's an easy engine to work on, not to mention 800lbs lighter than the diesel.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Why would anyone want to pull heavy loads all the time with a gas engine? Diesel all the way. If gas engines really got better mileage than diesels, and if gas engines really have more power than engines, then why arn't there any gas semi trucks. Simply put. If you can afford a diesel, get one. I have owned diesel trucks my whole life and have outlasted all gas trucks. I prefer Dodge Cummins and CAT Diesel engines. Get a dodge cummins truck with a 6-speed, you wont be dissapointed.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolboyslandscaping View Post
Why would anyone want to pull heavy loads all the time with a gas engine? Diesel all the way. If gas engines really got better mileage than diesels, and if gas engines really have more power than engines, then why arn't there any gas semi trucks. Simply put. If you can afford a diesel, get one. I have owned diesel trucks my whole life and have outlasted all gas trucks. I prefer Dodge Cummins and CAT Diesel engines. Get a dodge cummins truck with a 6-speed, you wont be dissapointed.
Diesel is the way to go to pull more than 7K on a regular basis, but the 5.4L could handle it, and performance will suffer but mileage will be similar to the diesel unless you plan to climb hills 90% of the time.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a buddy who is a diesel mechanic and he says the 6.0 is a total piece of junk. And he's a Ford man. I have two 7.3's and he tells me to keep them on the road and not buy a 6.0. He says they will eat you up with little things that break. I've had fantastic luck with the 7.3's. I have an F-250 and an F-550. Both pull like locomotives.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

6.0 is a decent motor 7.3's are good but you need a manual to tow with it as the auto behind the 6.0 is better. The 5.4 has a good auto transmission. 5.4 towing that kind of weight every day would last about 80k 120k miles a 6.0 would go over 200k. Oil in the 5.4 towing would need changed every 3000 miles and transmission about every 10k. 6.0 7500 miles on the oil and 20k on the transmission. So fluid change would be about even when you consider the quantity it takes to change 6 qts vs 15. Two fuel filters on the 6.0 vs 1 on the gas. Air filter on the 6.0 is at least 5 times more expensive. I personally don't like the 5.4 and would buy a 6.0 instead. It may not be cheaper but will hold up better and if you decide to sell the 6.0 will not depreciate as much as the 5.4 truck. Towing with the 5.4 will get you around 8mpg in the city vs 14-16 in the 6.0 but diesel is a little more if you don't make your own...
Old 03-15-2010, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

funny you mention that about Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilov View Post
That sounds weird. For that money a new head should be in order and to access requires manifold removal. Anyway, most 5.4 repair work is cheap, even at dealerships, especially compared to a 6.0 powerstroke.

From personal experience I can tell you toyota's are a poor buy. Up to 2001 their cars were quality, after 2004 that started slipping and beyond 2008 is simply junk. Guaranteed serious failures combined with ludicrously overpriced parts ensure they become a money pit or junk pile. I know you don't believe me, but one day you will.
because everyone I know with a Tundra says it's the best truck they have ever owned.every one I know with and American truck is having nothing but problems.

I'll stick with Toyota,at least they have the balls to admit they made a mistake and fix the problems.