Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-24-2010, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Member

How would you approach this grass and weed

problem? This yard was sodded with centipede grass. It has several small areas of bare spots caused by various things including possibly shade, heavy equipment being used on it, etc. The weeds are becoming more of a problem lately. What would be your best guess with the limited information that I can give? Should I overseed the whole yard with something or just the bare spots? Should I use some type of weed and feed? How would you handle it? Thanks
Old 01-24-2010, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would aerate/overseed the entire yard. Then I would also apply some kind of weed control. That should get the yard in optimal condition.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if your state does not require a fert. license, like PA! go out and buy some weed control. it hooks up to a hose and ya spray the lawn or the weed spots.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoy landscaping View Post
if your state does not require a fert. license, like PA! go out and buy some weed control. it hooks up to a hose and ya spray the lawn or the weed spots.
Do you say PA does or does not require a license?
Old 01-24-2010, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

it reads as PA does NOT have a fert. liscense
Old 01-24-2010, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilhayden View Post
problem? This yard was sodded with centipede grass. It has several small areas of bare spots caused by various things including possibly shade, heavy equipment being used on it, etc. The weeds are becoming more of a problem lately. What would be your best guess with the limited information that I can give? Should I overseed the whole yard with something or just the bare spots? Should I use some type of weed and feed? How would you handle it? Thanks
I guess I have several questions first? I hope you dont mind?
1. What does the customer want or expect?
2. Sure you have to knock down the weeds, are they grassy or broadleaf?
3. If you over-seed why not over-seed with a centipede cultivar? In only the bad spots? It will ship out of Georgia.
4. How soon does the customer want to see a difference or a fix?
5. Does the customer think/feel your responsible for the problem at all?
6. With the shade issue, can you thin the canopy above? If so, can you pass along the cost to the customer? If shade IS AN issue, why didn't whoever sold, and installed the sod, have that conversation with the customer about the light requirements of centipede?
7. What is the ultimate goal for the customer? A putt-able surface? just an open green palate that will finally be a base for mixed beds or other defined areas in the yard? A general play area for kids and the dog? I am assuming this is a residential area not commercial? If its commercial I have some other questions.
I really am not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand and maybe help
8. Centipede spreads with stolons, once you address the issues do you have time to let the centipede just grown in?

Harry
PS, sorry, You say several small areas, define several and SMALL please?

Last edited by Grnhed; 01-24-2010 at 11:16 PM. Reason: content
Old 01-24-2010, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

it is a friends yard that I will probably start cutting this summer. I have never cut it before. It is grassy weeds for the most part. The turf has been abused b/c of tree removal and large machines tearing the yard up, cars taking out the edges, etc. They aren't in a huge hurry to have it fixed. I thought about maybe weeding and feeding and then overseeding.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilhayden View Post
it is a friends yard that I will probably start cutting this summer. I have never cut it before. It is grassy weeds for the most part. The turf has been abused b/c of tree removal and large machines tearing the yard up, cars taking out the edges, etc. They aren't in a huge hurry to have it fixed. I thought about maybe weeding and feeding and then overseeding.
Probably the best route, if he's a friend and in a hurry, let him buy the seed from
http://www.centipedegrass.com/info/whentoplant.html
Or JUST feed it really well and it will grow in just fine since it sounds like you remove the LIGHT issue.

Harry
Old 01-25-2010, 03:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoy landscaping View Post
Everybody carefully read what I'm going to write.

Most states DO NOT require a license to apply fertilizer. But... Applying fertilizer is the only thing you are allowed to do. YOU MAY NOT APPLY ANY WEED CONTROLS WITHOUT A LICENSE.

This includes fertilizers with weed controls as part of the application. If you get caught applying any weed control, whether it is part of a fertilzer application or not, you will in all likelihood, be heavily fined.

Specifically, Pennsylvania requires a license for Lawn and turf—The use of a pesticide in the maintenance or production of lawn and turf. That is from http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/00...8/s128.42.html

As far as I know the states and the Federal government draw no distinction between a pesticide and a herbicide. In the eyes of the law they are the same thing.