Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-25-2010, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm new, need advice...

I'm looking into buying either a walk behind or a Ztr (32-36 in.) and want to know what yalls opinions are. I will be mowing mainly 1/4 acre lots and a few bigger ones and need to fit through gates alot for back yards. The Dixon 34in. black bear or the gravely 34 in both seem to be about what i need or i could get a walk behind say a scag sw 36 in. with a floating deck or maybee a quick 32 or 36 dually. Just want to know what yall think since alot of yall have gone through this stage and know more about it than i do. also i would like to stay away from fixed decks because they seem like a pain in the @ss to adjust the height on. but if i have to i will.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get a 36 inch walk behind. It will fit through most gates. I prefer scag walk behinds but not a huge fan of there ztr. Don’t waste your money on a small ztr. You will be kicking yourself in the ars down the road if you do. You can probably find a 36 inch scag wb used for about $1,000

It is what it is......

Check out some of our manicuring http://sangerlawncareplus.com/Site%202/Photos%202.html
Old 01-25-2010, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 36" leso walk behind with a fixed deck. I like everything about the mower beside the fixed deck. Get a floater my friend.
Toro Recycler
Stihl MS250 18" chainsaw
Stihl BR550
Stihl FS90 trimmer
JD pro stick edger
2 Solo backpacks
16' Stokes orchard ladder

http://www.newspring.cc/
Old 01-25-2010, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I can get a New Scag 36 in. floating deck for 2600 2 minutes from my house. Sounds like a sweet deal to me. Real nice dealer to. Your opinions??? also will it be strong enough for me to use a sulky. i weigh 140. or should i not waste the money on one?
Old 01-25-2010, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It depends if it is a hydro or a belt driven machine. For that price I would be willing to bet it is belt driven?

A belt driven walk behind has problems in the rain when a sulky is hooked up. They are also reverse assisted witch means you have to pull the machine backwards.

At first you will probably think that it is a mistake however in all reality they are pretty good machines however I would rather have a hydro…of course they are about $2,500 more

It is what it is......

Check out some of our manicuring http://sangerlawncareplus.com/Site%202/Photos%202.html
Old 01-25-2010, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The smaller ZTR's are nothing but trouble.

Get the wb
Old 01-25-2010, 11:48 PM

Equipment should be a "down the road" decision as much as you can make it.

What I mean is, don't base your decision on just what you have or need now. Don't base your decision on brand or even merely money.

Your equipment is your lifeline in this business. Yes, you may need to get in gates now, but a year from now, what if the majority of the work you are after is wide open and calls for something more substantial.

I am not saying go out and drop thousands on the biggest, most expensive piece of equipment you can find. I am just saying, don't buy something that is going to force you to only be able to do certain kinds of work.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Member

yep

Yes it's a belt drive. and i would prefer a hydro but i'm not paying an extra 2500 dollars. And i wont be buying anthing untill i know i need it and can justify buying it. thanks for the input guys.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SangerLawn View Post
Get a 36 inch walk behind. It will fit through most gates. I prefer scag walk behinds but not a huge fan of there ztr. Donít waste your money on a small ztr. You will be kicking yourself in the ars down the road if you do. You can probably find a 36 inch scag wb used for about $1,000
Just curious why you say this, and if you would please elaborate more on this? How would you feel about a stander in this situation?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Good point. should i get a walk behind or try and get a 36 in. stander? if so what brand? I like scags stuff. not toro though. how about write, hustler,exmark...... this would be usefull in case i need to walk behind i can or i can zero turn everything and ride all day. Obviously big increase in price but is it worth it?