Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-25-2010, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

2WD Getting Stuck--tire options

I really love my truck, except that it's 2wd. It's been stuck in what wouldn't seem to bad situations 4 times in the past 4 months or so. Right now, I've got 245/75/16 mud tires on the back from Aurora (I think they are owned by Kumho).

Most of the time, it seems like the tread just filled up with mud and they start spinning. It doesn't rut really bad, unless it's really soft ground. The tire just sits on the surface (or no more than about 2 inches deep) and spins. The last 2 times I had a trailer behind me.

My thinking is this: I need some wider tires that will have more tread on the ground, giving better traction and more flotation in soft ground. I'm trying to decide if a heavy-duty all terrain will do the job or if I need a really aggressive mud terrain. I'm leaning towards mud.

Trying to decide between 265 or 285 tread width.

I'm looking for tires less than $200 each. If you have suggestions for a good tire for a 2wd truck that will perform off-road and not sing too much on-road, I need them. These have caught my attention:

Goodyear DuraTrac
http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyea...ch%20By%20Size

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Radial
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/t...=BajaMTZRadial

Kumho MT KL71
http://www.kumhousa.com/Tire.aspx?id...d4ac17e&cat=25

Cooper STT
http://www.coopertire.com/html/produ...discoverer_stt

www.tomberlawn.com
Old 01-25-2010, 03:04 AM
LawnSite Member

My brother has the goodyears you posted they are okay they don't sing but boy are they soft. He is running the 235/85R16 and they are not really long wearing.

What does your truck have in the diff do you have a positraction ?

Have you thought about a ARB selectable locker works as a open diff unlocked and locked its like a spool. Both wheels are locked together and spin together.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Keep it on the pavement, there you just saved yourself $800 and another tow.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My truck has a locking diff, so both tires spin.

Glad to hear about the Goodyears being soft. Don't want them wearing down too fast on me.

topsites, the problem is I can't keep it on pavement. I only need 2 tires anyway. I've got brand new Firestone Transforce AT's on the front and they handle great.

www.tomberlawn.com
Old 01-25-2010, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

May be a stupid question but often overlooked---if its a pickup or something like that, is there any weight in the bed? If not then your tires arent really making good contact and that could be part of the problem. Sounds like you have decent tires so
Old 01-25-2010, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just bought Cooper ATR about a month ago. Awesome tire. I have an extended cab full size bed, so my truck is long and I traditionally need 4wd in the winter. With these new tires, I've been in 4wd once, and that's only because I was at the bottom of an icy driveway with a $40K SUV 4 feet behind me. They also have a 50K tread wear warranty. I'll never buy a different set of tires for a daily driver again. I'm sure the STT will also be a good choice. Plus I have a great Cooper dealer closeby, so that helped narrow the decision for me.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 01-25-2010, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The bed is usually empty, so not much weight back there. The fuel tank is 34 gallons and usually at least 1/2 full, so that's 100-250 pounds, plus the tongue weight of the trailer. With the tractor on the trailer, the tongue doesn't weigh much because most of the weight is on top of or slightly behind the trailer axles. Three of the four times I've been stuck, the trailer was empty or there was no trailer.

www.tomberlawn.com
Old 01-25-2010, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Screw all those weinie tires, there is only one mud tire out there and if you get stuck with that than your farked!

Hold it to the wood and Rip & Tear it up, it will throw sod pieces the size of kittens, they clean out awesome

Let me introduce you to Super Swamper Boggers:

Yeah baby
Old 01-25-2010, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomberLawn View Post
The bed is usually empty, so not much weight back there. The fuel tank is 34 gallons and usually at least 1/2 full, so that's 100-250 pounds, plus the tongue weight of the trailer. With the tractor on the trailer, the tongue doesn't weigh much because most of the weight is on top of or slightly behind the trailer axles. Three of the four times I've been stuck, the trailer was empty or there was no trailer.
Extended cab or crew cab? Long bed? If so that may be your problem, not the tires. No weight in the back is the biggest part sometimes. Wish I a had a dime for everytime I see people in 4x4 pickups driving, or trying to drive, in the snow and getting no where and wondering why. Gotta put weight in that big empty light tail to weigh it down and keep those tires touching pavement.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip&tear View Post
Screw all those weinie tires, there is only one mud tire out there and if you get stuck with that than your farked!

Hold it to the wood and Rip & Tear it up, it will throw sod pieces the size of kittens, they clean out awesome

Let me introduce you to Super Swamper Boggers:

Yeah baby
Those are meats right there!!!