Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-25-2010, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Member

$5.00 Echo pb 260L

Looking for some help with this older backpack blower.
I cleaned the tank out, took the carb apart, the gaskets and diaphram seem to be ok. Blew it out, reassembled it and tried to start it. All I got was a little putt putt putt with the choke on (like it was going to start!). With the choke off I got a real deep buh buh buh sound. So then I checked the plug, It was a little wet so I dried it off. Put the boot back on and pulled the cord and got a spark when I held it up against the metal guard (spark was blueish). Put my thumb over the plug hole, pulled the cord and felt the suction. Put it back together and still the same results. I had a new fuel filter from a tune up kit. Put that on ,no diff. Took the muffler off and checked it out , wet inside? the screen wasn't bad at all, although I cleaned it up anyway Ok, should I spring for a new plug, hoses, and a gasket and diaphram set? Or is there something else I can do before that? Any advice? Thanks
Old 01-25-2010, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Carburetor. Get a kit and replace the diaphragm and the flaps. It's old you said, the guts inside are probably no good, dried out, warped flaps. Get some spray Carb & choke cleaner and spray everything in there, all the passages, and clean it out good.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I'll try it, thanks
Old 01-25-2010, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Could be a weak coil as well or a bad electrical connection...

In order to eliminate electrical connections I would go ahead and disconnect
the wires at the coil, this will at least allow it to fire in an always ON mode,
keeping in mind that if it does start you'll likely have to use the choke to cut it off.

If all that doesn't do it I hate to tell you but I'd be for looking into the coil itself,
first I would get a spark (plug) tester thou.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I went and got a diaphram kit. There are three gaskets that will fit under the primer bulb area and three that will fit where the little round metal piece with the 5 or 6 holes in it goes. Now here's the question for the day. Should I use all of these pieces? They all have slightly diff. configurations, For sure the one with the little tabs and the one with the round with 5 or 6 holes in it go in . I'm thinking the others will allow the gas to flow through in the correct manner. Coil huh? Spark plug tester ya say? hmm!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Most carb kits fit several carbs. Replace, in the same order, only the same ones that came off the carb. Generally, there are only three gaskets/diagphrams that are used. Your mileage may vary.

Dutch
Old 01-26-2010, 06:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks I'll try that! I also got a spark plug tester. I hooked it up and pulled the cord, the spark jumped about a 1/2" consistantly and was blueish in color. From what I've read thats the rite color. Can I assume the coil is ok?
Old 01-26-2010, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Alrighty then! I think I've figured this out. After removing the carb so many times, I looked into the cylinder head and saw some scratches on the piston. I thought that can't be rite! So I removed the cyl. head. There were some scratches on the inside of it also. The rings on the piston were stuck to one side. So in my other post, I thought I had enough compression, but I guess it wasn't. It would seem that the scratches are deep enough to lower the compression to the point it couldn't start. Rite now I've got about $24.00 invested in this thing. So now what? I wonder what new parts would cost?
Old 01-26-2010, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's been a couple of years since I've replaced the jug and piston on an Echo product but I'd venture to say that the cost of a jug, piston, rings and gasket will run you in the vicinity of $70 -100. This is a guess so your mileage may vary. All I could suggest is check with your local dealer. You may want to check out their Repower kits but in my judgment either way you go, it may not be cost effective. On a cheap buy, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose!

Dutch
Old 01-26-2010, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

This is a great site ! Wanna thank every one for their help, I've learned alot. I'll check prices on those parts and see whats up. Worst case I'll try to sell for parts on cl. Thanks again.