Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-25-2010, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

New Bed Edging Equipment

Im sure this has been discussed a million times, but I'm trying to buy a bed edger and have several questions and I could not find what I was looking for using the search feature. We have always edged a new bed or existing bed by hand as needed. I once rented an edger that had a small 4 inch blade on it seemed to be a POS. I have also been looking at brown products. It seems that they make some nice stuff. My question is can these edgers be used to create new beds or are they really only good for touching up existing bed lines? If I am doing mainly new beds/touching up old bed lines which model is best they make so many? And is there a company that makes an edger that can completely dig out the edge and deposit the soil/grass inside the bed line or on a tarp on the lawn side. Thanks in advance for all info.
2008 Ford F250 4x4 XLT Crew
2008 Cam Superline Gooseneck Dump 14000GVW
2009 16' Belmont Machine Landscape Trailer
1992 Cat IT12B Wheel Loader 2.5Y Bucket
1996 John Deere 955 Tractor/Backhoe
2005 Turbo Turf 500 Gallon Hydroseeder, 2 Axle Trailer
2003 Exmark Z 72", Ultra Vac QDS
2005 Exmark Z 56", Ultra Vac QDS
Exmark 48" Walk Behind
Other Assorted Hand And Power Equipment
Old 01-25-2010, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Exclamation

Anyone, any info is much appreciated
2008 Ford F250 4x4 XLT Crew
2008 Cam Superline Gooseneck Dump 14000GVW
2009 16' Belmont Machine Landscape Trailer
1992 Cat IT12B Wheel Loader 2.5Y Bucket
1996 John Deere 955 Tractor/Backhoe
2005 Turbo Turf 500 Gallon Hydroseeder, 2 Axle Trailer
2003 Exmark Z 72", Ultra Vac QDS
2005 Exmark Z 56", Ultra Vac QDS
Exmark 48" Walk Behind
Other Assorted Hand And Power Equipment
Old 01-25-2010, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Member

We have a Brown bed edger. Paid about 2k for it 3 years ago. Works PERFECT for new beds. But as for existing beds, it gets difficult sometimes. The deeper the existing edge is, the hard it is. If its a bed that has lost its edge entirely, MINT machine. We blow through roots, rocks, you name it. Worth the investment for us...
Old 01-25-2010, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with dclandscape, that brown bed edger is great. On beds that have an existing edge from the previous year I use a sidwalke edger and just make a line and do some minor tune ups to the edge.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have used the blue bird edger, im pretty sure its the same design on the brown and the one on the husqvarna. They are absolutely essential on larger edging jobs. I did 500 ft in less then 30 minutes with it, and the edge was just flawless.

I usually rent them from Superior rental, i think its like 45 for 4 hours and 80 for the day. Otherwise, the usually run around a lil over 2k to purchase. Judging by your trucks, you should be able the swing that.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We tried the rest and bought the best! That sounded corny,lol. Seriously, we tried everything from Brown, Bluebird, even the one with an "L" shaped blade. They all did ok at best then bought the Little Wonder BedShaper.....holy crap! Its fast, has tons of power (13hp Honda) leaves a great edge. Sometimes you still need to go behind the cut sod to cut the back side to remove it but thats not often. Its a bit pricey but the time I save is huge. Example, we do a condo complex and there are flower beds everywhere, and I mean everywhere. I bet there is roughly 5k ft of edging. We tried the edger that has an "L" shape blade and it took forever, probably at least 6hrs just to edge then another 3 for cleaning the edges up. Next year we had the Little Wonder and I was done in about 2 hrs! It just has so much power and a cleaner cut, no touching up.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 01-26-2010, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobagger View Post
We tried the rest and bought the best! That sounded corny,lol. Seriously, we tried everything from Brown, Bluebird, even the one with an "L" shaped blade. They all did ok at best then bought the Little Wonder BedShaper.....holy crap! Its fast, has tons of power (13hp Honda) leaves a great edge. Sometimes you still need to go behind the cut sod to cut the back side to remove it but thats not often. Its a bit pricey but the time I save is huge. Example, we do a condo complex and there are flower beds everywhere, and I mean everywhere. I bet there is roughly 5k ft of edging. We tried the edger that has an "L" shape blade and it took forever, probably at least 6hrs just to edge then another 3 for cleaning the edges up. Next year we had the Little Wonder and I was done in about 2 hrs! It just has so much power and a cleaner cut, no touching up.
that little wonder is no joke...i like.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Member

You should check out turf teq. Hear are some pics from last summer.[ATTACH][ATTACH]Name:  IMG_0065.jpg
Views: 1408
Size:  103.0 KB[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Images

96' Dodge Ram 2500
Little Wonder Blower 6HP
Little Wonder Vac 8.5HP
1 Echo Trimmers 210i

Old 01-26-2010, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Member

There are several brands out there: Brown, E-Z Trench, and Bluebird are the most popular. You should try renting one on a job to get a feel for it. They work great for making new beds but also for cleaning up older edges that have filled in or need redefining.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstarpatriot View Post
There are several brands out there: Brown, E-Z Trench, and Bluebird are the most popular. You should try renting one on a job to get a feel for it. They work great for making new beds but also for cleaning up older edges that have filled in or need redefining.
You can do both with the turf teq make new and refine. You also put in curb stone like in pic.Attachment 175063

96' Dodge Ram 2500
Little Wonder Blower 6HP
Little Wonder Vac 8.5HP
1 Echo Trimmers 210i