Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: How often do you mow?
Once a week no matter what. 10 43.48%
Changes throughout the season. 13 56.52%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2010, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Regular schedule vs variable schedule.

Just wondered how many of you stick to a once a week mowing schedule no matter what. I have always altered the time between cuts depending on the weather. In the spring that means for a few weeks folks get mowed every 4 days and in the dry times every other week. I use Quickbooks for the financials but have never found a scheduling software program that would work for me.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I try to stick to every week, same day and same time. In the spring there is a few yards that get cut twice a week because of heavy growth. But their regular service day never changes, i just squeeze in the 2nd cuts on one of my slower days. When growth slows or there is dry conditions, I will decide if it can be skipped for an entire week, if it can't, I cut it, simple as that. I will not go back 3 or 4 days to cut. I try to keep my drivetimes to a bare minimum and I like a set schedule.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use a spreadsheet for the scheduling, same as yourself I vary the frequency
because the grass doesn't grow at the same rate throughout the year, that
and the heat will burn it if cut too often as well.

My mow frequency goes from a short 1 week to as much as a month in between,
all depends on the rain and the heat and various other conditions as well.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Member

One thing to watch for is customers taking advantage and asking for their yard cut every other week when it really needs it every week. In that case i will cut it every other week but i will not bag or double cut. Fair is fair
Old 01-29-2010, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bump up for a few more responses.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i pretty much stick to a once a week schedule. in the dryer months cuts get skipped sometimes but i don't not do any 10 day cuts or any other number. it's either weekly or bi weekly. when cuts are skipped in the dryer months i don't return until the next weeks scheduled cuts.

i know a guy in the lawn business who has a varied schedule all the time. he cuts when needed, sometimes going 8,9,10, etc. days inbetween cuts. i can't see that being convenient. it's easier and makes more sense to me to come weekly or bi weekly. that way you always know where you'll be on a given day and whats on your plate w/out checking your schedule.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkra12 View Post
One thing to watch for is customers taking advantage and asking for their yard cut every other week when it really needs it every week. In that case i will cut it every other week but i will not bag or double cut. Fair is fair
every other week cuts are charged at a higher price so there is no need to watch out for this. you won't save money with me going on an every other week schedule, unless it's drought season and there would only be a weeks worth of growth on the lawn if i come every other week.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have our accounts set up on a weekly mow ( i do have a few elderly that cant afford weekly so i cut them bi-weekly) they get mowed every week, if I get there and a cut is not needed they are charged 50% for a trip charge, if it is a drought situation i do have a clause in the contract that if the customer calls and requests no mow that week we will not show up and they will not be charged at all, 99% of my customers dont call, they want us to look at the lawn, and come out to there property to check things over before we decide not to do the work. I should note, that if we get there and there is no mowing needed but there are some dead flowers or weeds that need to be taken care of we will take care of them for the customer, if we can take care of that within the normal mowing time alloted we just bill them for the mowing amount but invoice it out as weeding or what ever we did for them. that way we can keep making money and there property looks great all the time.

05 dodge ram 3500 stacked
12' open trailer
20' dump trailer
12' enclosed trailer
Sthil trimmers,blowers,chain saws,pole saws
01/06 honda atv w/ plow and spray tank
Deere Z840A
48" scag Pro-V w/ bagger
09 Deere 328 Loader
2 o4 2500HD ext cab's
01 chevy 1500
Billy Goat truck loader
1500 gal tank w/ 2.5" fire line and garden hose's
Iron Oak log splitter
www.pfd-llc.com
http://www.queensboro.com/ref/EOSRRCOEBMN where we get our uniforms.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i to use a charge if i pull up and it doesn't need cut. i usually give my clients one free stop each season where i will pull up and leave if it doesn't cut. after that they are told if the lawn doesn't need cut and you don't it cut give me a call to cancel your service for that week. if i show up i will either cut it or charge you a fee for showing up and then leaving.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I mow all of my accounts once a week. I do have a couple accounts that I may need to skip one week since they don't have irrigation, but most of my accounts have an irrigation system, so I mow weekly all year.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds