Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-25-2010, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Most Suitable Software

I am having a problem that I think many other may have. I have a small company that is starting to grow beyond my ability to administrate all of the scheduling, invoicing etc. I have been looking for an affordable software solution that can handle my workload. We are as follows:

3 Vehicles
5 workers
80-90 clients
80% residential lawn and garden service
Canadian Company (BC)

Basically I am wondering if I need to go with a high end one (which would be difficult financially) or if there is a mid range program that could suit my needs until I get any bigger.

Brad Carlsen
West Coast Lawns
Old 01-25-2010, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

lawn care software

I am going through the same thing. I just did a Google search for Lawn Care Software and found a few. Prices range from a couple hundred to several thousand. I am looking at Lawn Pro right now because they can integrate with Quick Books. GroundsKeeper looks nice, but does not work with QB. I also did a search within this site and found some useful information--just be careful about the dates they were posted, a post from 4 years ago may not be applicable today.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Old Info

I found the same thing with some of the websites for these software; who know how long they have been up and if their products are still current? Lawn Pro made me wonder because it has very unprofessionally presented website although the product seems ideal. My other concern was that there is no demo and you have to e-mail money to them to try the product at full price. I saw no word of a refund if it didn't suit my needs. I have downloaded Gopher which seems ok at first glance but I need to try it out more. I am concerned that there may be some problems for my Canadian company to use American software because we have different holidays, taxes, etc.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

QExpress, made in Canada and works with QB.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry View Post
QExpress, made in Canada and works with QB.
I am in the same boat and will be giving qxpress a try this spring really excited about the mapping features.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a 4year user of qxpress. I like qxpress, just not happy with all the sh.. going on with Quickbooks. I'm actually staring to look at something different, something that does both. just my opinion
Old 01-27-2010, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenkeeper88 View Post
I'm a 4year user of qxpress. I like qxpress, just not happy with all the sh.. going on with Quickbooks. I'm actually staring to look at something different, something that does both. just my opinion
What's going with QB? I currently use 09 but don't see any issues.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im looking into Clip software i have gofer now and i seriously regret buyin it.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Software Problems

What are the problems with Gopher? Software limitations? Not user friendly? Functional but not efficent? Not reliable?

It would be nice to see a user generated list of capabilities and limitations for these softwares. It takes so long searching through each of these threads to find info on what each can and can't do and also other problems that may arise from the softwares.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Member

We have been using an online billing program that was suggested to me by someone on this site. We've been using it for about 2+ years now and LOVE it! It was previously called Landscape Management System but over the weekend they changed the name and converted everything over to the new name of Landscape Billing. The new name is more simple and easy to type in, remember, etc. Anyway you can do your invoicing, routing, scheduling, estimates, has many letter templates on it, expense reports, it will keep track of all of your collected sales tax and print reports broken down however you need... the list goes on and on!!! I also like that your customers have their own account number and they can log on and look at their invoices, pay online, leave you messages etc. We had our hard drive scratched last year and everything was wiped out!! But since we use the online program we did not lose one bit of business/customer information. The company who fixed our computer called and asked me what billing software we used b/c he was looking for a quickbooks or something to that effect to see if he could restore it... I told him we use an online system and he said we were lucky b/c had we used a program/software on our computer we would have lost all of our business/customer info. You can do a free 30 day demo of landscape billing and the cost is $5.27 per month right now (I looked up the price) and when you sign up your price is locked in forever. This seriously has been one of the best things we did from an admin side of things b/c it has simplified our invoicing and all of that and it looks a lot more professional than what we were using b/c your logo and all of that is on the invoice/estimate/letter.. whatever. Check it out... www.landscapebilling.com

Tags
invoicing , program , scheduling , software