Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-25-2010, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Question Problems with dog tearing up grass

I need some help. I bought a new home in December and have a 3/8 Acres backyard with a 6 ft privacy fence. I live in Florida, so it started out as a nice, beautiful, green backyard. Unfortunatly, I own the Planet Earth's most hyper dog. My German Shepherd runs all along the fence line with the dogs on either side and it has produced a full race track of dirt just inside the interior of the perimeter of the fence. It caused her to bring lots of dirt in the house. Which i remedied by placing pavers in front of the entrance to the back patio. This still does not solve my dirt-track problem. I'm open to any suggestions as to what I could do in the landscaping aspect to fix the problem and also prevent it from occurring again. Thanks in advance for your help everyone. Sorry if I misposted, as this is my first post on these forums.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would simply place a good mulch, in the run.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I thought about that but also considered the fact that she may just kick it out all over the yard
Old 01-25-2010, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

take your dog for a walk to get some engery out of him
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 01-25-2010, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mow high and it will eventually settle in. You may need to add a bit during the first year. Overall, it is your only option. If there is a better solution, I myself, would like to hear it.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My beagle ran and dug up the yard when it was a puppy. When the dog got older, it stopped. Now I have a hard time getting her to go in the yard. If you have a dog, you probably won't have a perfect yard until the dog gets older and lazy.

I spent a year getting a customers yard in decent shape and his dog has about destroyed it again.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

One of the joys of a dog I would say! I have a greyhound, and we have a large fenced area, but most of it is an inground pool. Lengthwise, opposite the house, there is a 6 foot mulched area, with a row of Big burning Bushes, with some daisies, and other perennials. Now, before we got this dog we would plant a thick, full bed of impatiens from the concrete pool deck, all the way back to the burning bushes, and it was beautiful! A solid bed of color 3 feet deep and 50 feet long. On each end of the pool is a rounded off area, essentially a half circle, about 30 feet in diameter, all (formerly) grassed in.

Come dogs, and it all goes to hell. No more flowers, they would be destroyed by the running, and well, the grass needs constant maintenance. Any spots that get to bare dirt stay that way for the season. I try to limit how much he gets to run out there by taking him elsewhere, but he still will and some spots will be sacrificed. Other than that, cut it high, but not tall. I keep my fescue blend at about 3.5 inches. Also, if there is established grass, keep the dogs nails short. They really tear it up as they get going, especially if your dog is like mine and spins around a lot. Think of a powered aerator, that only plugs 1inch deep and goes over the same spots a thousand times!

Possibly you could plant some bushes or a hedge in a mulched bed. That might help with containment of the mulch, and discourage running along the fence.

Other option that I have seen, Astroturf or something similar. If done correctly they can match it pretty well to the grass, it lasts forever. It might be a little bit odd to some, but both dog and landscaping enthusiasts would understand, your dog shouldnt be running on dirt, it needs grass! (not to mention the dirt of course) and you simply cant have a ring of dirt around your yard! hahahaha
Old 01-26-2010, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Member

In AZ, we always design our backyards with grass in the middle, outlined by rocks(beds). Attached is a front yard we did, but same concept of the outlining by beds.

The grass you see planted is what we call bob sod out here. It got the name from being used in bank on ball park, now chase field(Diamondbacks). It is a bermuda that holds up really well with dogs and kids, and ball fields.

Just my .02 for ya. Hope it helps.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2010, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Member

I recommend a .22 short and a good aim.
6x16 Landscape trailer
6x16 drop trailer
6x14 drop trailer
5x12 drop trailer
5x8tilt trailer
61 inch BadBoy Outlaw
52 inch Exmark Lazer Z ZTR mower
42 inch Bush Hog ZTR mower
46 inch Cub Cadet ZTR mower
50 inch White lawn tractor
DR 7HP Scout brush mower
6x Sthil weed whackers
Too much other junk to name
Dugan Lawn Care & Landscaping LLC
Old 02-02-2010, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe a nice long run or game of catch in the park will solve this problem. German Shepherds are working dogs, they need a job that will take both physical and mental energy, they aren't meant to be put up in a back yard all day. Give him something to do, train him new tricks, teach him to get you the newspaper or something, and throw a ball for him to use up some of that energy.

Just my opinion though, maybe get a high traffic tollerarance grass that grows well in your area.
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)