Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-25-2010, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Enclosed trailer- V-Nose or not?

I'm getting an 8.5 x 16 enclosed trailer soon, and was hoping I could get people opinions on what they like/dislike about their V-Nose, and what they like/dislike about their flat nose.

A regular trailer with an extended tongue is probably 19' total length for a 16' trailer, and I think it would be about the same for a V-nose......so seems like wasted space without the v-nose.....but maybe they're more hassle than their worth with sight issues, or turning, something else I may not have thought of.

Which do you prefer, and why?

Thanks,
~Nest
Old 01-25-2010, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantNest View Post
I'm getting an 8.5 x 16 enclosed trailer soon, and was hoping I could get people opinions on what they like/dislike about their V-Nose, and what they like/dislike about their flat nose.

A regular trailer with an extended tongue is probably 19' total length for a 16' trailer, and I think it would be about the same for a V-nose......so seems like wasted space without the v-nose.....but maybe they're more hassle than their worth with sight issues, or turning, something else I may not have thought of.

Thanks,
~Nest
I have a vnose trailer and am back and forth about it. At first I loved it and still do, because of all the extra room in the front, its great for storage. I also have a dump insert on my truck and because of the extra length of that I as well as my employee had slightly jackknifed it as we were backing up. That was our own dumb faults but I've driven trailers for 8-9 years and have never done it before. Either way...the other problem with it is there is no place to put my truck loader. That is a big issue if you have one or plan on buying one...Hope this helps you a little.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 01-25-2010, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantNest View Post

Thanks,
~Nest
The v-nose is a good place to put a workbench and cabinets without taking up your usable trailer space plus you get a couple extra feet of cargo room with out going to a longer trailer, my 8.5x20' is almost 22' long inside and the cost was the same as a flat nose. And they do seem to tow a little easier at highway speeds.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The v-nose will definately cut down on the drag when you are driving. And like others have said the front of a v-nose is a great place for extra storage inside without losing any of the useable space. I'd say that a v-nose would be a much better choice with the added storage space inside.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 01-25-2010, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgerk82 View Post
The v-nose is a good place to put a workbench and cabinets without taking up your usable trailer space plus you get a couple extra feet of cargo room with out going to a longer trailer, my 8.5x20' is almost 22' long inside and the cost was the same as a flat nose. And they do seem to tow a little easier at highway speeds.
so the 20' does not count the v part at the front?
Old 01-25-2010, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't like the look of v noses, but for the reduced drag, they might be a good choice. Extra space is a nice selling point, but I heard somewhere that V nose railers don't ripple like regular ones as far as the sheet metal looking good and straight.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd get the V nose. If it's advertised as a 8x20, that's generally the box size without the V nose area included, generally it's 2-2.5 feet depending on the tongue length.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTouch View Post
so the 20' does not count the v part at the front?
Nope the square section of my trailer is 20' inside and the v-nose adds another 2' of storage.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going with the vnose
6.5 x 18 trailer w/dovetail
8.5 x 24 enclosed trailer
Bobcat classic 48"
Bobcat hydro walkbehind 48"
Bobcat procat 61"
Bobcat procat 61"
Bobcat predator pro 61"
Wright Velke 48"
Scag Turf Tiger 61"
08 brute force 750,
www.yougrowillmowinc.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/nytrailriders
Old 01-26-2010, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i know some have already said they have made use of the space a v-nose has.

i personally feel there is wasted space with a v-nose. with the way i have my enclosed trailer set up the v is to much wasted space to go that route.