Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2010, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I doesn't really suprise me that this ambulance has problems. With the way they are operated, they have problems all the time. Some of the new electronics in the ambulance have prevented too much wear, but the way these things are driven, they always seem to have problems.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 01-26-2010, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Member

its because they idle alot, it soots up everything.......they r afraid to shut them off
Old 01-26-2010, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini14 View Post
its because they idle alot, it soots up everything.......they r afraid to shut them off
Were not he type of service that does that. The only time they idle is when they are on scene. The return to the garage after the call.
Stihl FS 90R, KM 90R, BG86, BR600, MS 211, HSE 60
2010 Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=300126
Old 01-26-2010, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

change the fuel and tranny filters
Old 01-26-2010, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad
I doesn't really suprise me that this ambulance has problems. With the way they are operated, they have problems all the time. Some of the new electronics in the ambulance have prevented too much wear, but the way these things are driven, they always seem to have problems.
Are you speaking from experience or speculation? Our department has four 7.3 powered and one 6.0 powered E450s and they all are very reliable. It helps that the rigs get regular preventative maintenance and when something goes wrong it goes to the dealer to get fixed. It's a lot more cost effective to have the dealer work on the drivetrain portion of these rigs than it is to have our own mechanics mess with it. This would be my suggestion to the OP, take it to a shop that knows this engine.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey2002 View Post
Are you speaking from experience or speculation? Our department has four 7.3 powered and one 6.0 powered E450s and they all are very reliable. It helps that the rigs get regular preventative maintenance and when something goes wrong it goes to the dealer to get fixed. It's a lot more cost effective to have the dealer work on the drivetrain portion of these rigs than it is to have our own mechanics mess with it. This would be my suggestion to the OP, take it to a shop that knows this engine.
I'm speaking from experience. When I ride with American Medical Response (AMR). They use E-350 van style ambulances. When they are running emergency status, it's break hard and accelerate fast, that is hard driving on any vehicle. And when it is driven like that several time a day, things tend to break down frequently enough. They are also idleing anytime they are not at the garage. I'm not saying that these are bad engines or vehicles, just that given the environment they are used in, it is tough on a vehicle.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 01-26-2010, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i can see why it would be tough on them, but they should still hold up and they get the diesels for that reason. hardly ever see a gasser in one of them
Old 01-27-2010, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok I talked to him today. It has around 35k on it. A guy from another service that has 7 6.0's he has had to replace 8 turbos on 1 and 2 on the other 6. All with less than 40k. He said he is 99% sure this is the problem.

He recieved a letter from an attorney about a class action civil lawsuit agianst Ford for the problems with the 6.0's, several months ago. He is now going to join in the suit.

He even said that if 1 more thing goes wrong he is STRONGLY going to consider having the box remounted on a Chevy 4500 cutaway chassis w/ the Duramax/Allison combo. The cost of $40,000 to do it is nothing considering that if we got stranded w/ a pt. on board what that could do.
Stihl FS 90R, KM 90R, BG86, BR600, MS 211, HSE 60
2010 Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=300126
Old 01-27-2010, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowerbrad
I'm speaking from experience. When I ride with American Medical Response (AMR). They use E-350 van style ambulances. When they are running emergency status, it's break hard and accelerate fast, that is hard driving on any vehicle. And when it is driven like that several time a day, things tend to break down frequently enough. They are also idleing anytime they are not at the garage. I'm not saying that these are bad engines or vehicles, just that given the environment they are used in, it is tough on a vehicle.
That explains a lot. We have AMR in our area too, and they operate as cheaply as possible when it comes to their equipment. Our rigs get run just as hard, but every three months they get a complete service, and when something mechanical goes wrong it gets fixed. Talking with the AMR crews, as long as their rig starts and drives, they run it, and small problems eventually become big ones. You are right, emergency service is very hard on a vehicle, but with good maintenance reliability should not be a problem.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey2002 View Post
That explains a lot. We have AMR in our area too, and they operate as cheaply as possible when it comes to their equipment. Our rigs get run just as hard, but every three months they get a complete service, and when something mechanical goes wrong it gets fixed. Talking with the AMR crews, as long as their rig starts and drives, they run it, and small problems eventually become big ones. You are right, emergency service is very hard on a vehicle, but with good maintenance reliability should not be a problem.
It is definately a big difference between how AMR runs and how our fire department runs. At the fire department, if a truck has an issue, it will be repaired as soon as possible. But from being around AMR enough I have found that (like you said) as long as the truck runs, its good. I know they have in house mechanics here, but that doesn't seem to help much. They can only have so many ambulances down at one time, so many ambulances will go quite a while before getting fixed.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds