Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-25-2010, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Newspaper Ad

What do you put in your newspaper ad? how many weeks before the season starts do you run it? How much does it usually cost?

Thanks for all the responses in advance
Old 01-26-2010, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

a

I never have done an ad in the news paper. I have heard that you don't get much response. I have just been going door to door, I started about a week ago, and I already have 5 new accounts. I get about 1 new sign up a day. I only work for about 2-3 hours. Just be prepared to get told no a lot.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We tried newspaper ads a couple of years ago. It was a local weekly paper and they had a business card section. The cost was somewhere between $100 and $150 per issue. I received about 5 calls during the 13 week run. That wasn't enough for us to do it again.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Unfortunately newspapers and other local print publications are becoming relics. The classified sections, have been decimated by Craigs List. The local "pennysaver" here has nothing in it anymore. Older people still look at newspapers, so their is some potential there. We always have recieved the paper, but even we are thinking about canceling it. My wife and I are in are 30's, I think our generation will be the last to have any interest in papers. I know of no younger people that read them any more. What a shame, I hustled my first dollars delivering the paper.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We tried it several years ago. I found that most of the time you are getting calls from deal hunters that are only looking for the cheapest in town. You show up to find out there are 5 or 6 other companies there. Plus, the people who do call are in about a 45 mile radius so it is impossible to get tight routes.

We ran that add I think all summer but we only got 2 or 3 good customers out of it. All the other customers would drop us as soon as someone cheaper came along.

It is what it is......

Check out some of our manicuring http://sangerlawncareplus.com/Site%202/Photos%202.html