Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-26-2010, 03:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have an Idea!

So my foreman has been complaining about the lack of work around here lately due to no snow.....I have been busy working on commercial leads for the past two weeks.

I was thinking of having him call some potential customers and prospect to keep him busy. I don't want to pay him by the hour because he will slack, I know it.

I was thinking of paying him a certain amount for every contact he makes and gets a bid lined up. Has anyone done something similar to this? I usually target direct mail and don't telemarket. I,personally, haven't had success this way. I basically want to do this to help the guy out. What do you guys think? Any advice from people with experience in this is much appreciated!
Old 01-26-2010, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, why not? As long as he is well spoken go for it. Remember he will be the first impression these people will have of your company. Honestly, he will probably have a hard time setting things up over the phone. Is he someone you could send out and actually try to speak to the right person at these sites?
Old 01-26-2010, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't want to pay him by the hour because you know he will slack....then sounds like you have a bigger problem that you need to address.

Chad Clark
225-257-5566
chad@clarkunlimited.com
www.clarkunlimited.com
www.facebook.com/culawns
La. Licensed Landscape Horticulturist
La. Licensed Ornamental & Turf Pesticide Applicator
La. Licensed Irrigation Contractor
Old 01-26-2010, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would just pay him by the hour and track how many calls he made each hour. If he is slacking, then tell him the project is over. You can make the calls yourself for an hour or two to find an appropriate number.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Actually i would not have him make the calls. i would have him get the address and contact info... and let you follow up on the leads...
Old 01-26-2010, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i already have 1200 area businesses and leads with contact names etc. That's a good point that he will be the first impression and now that I think about it, I'm not sure that's a good idea! lol....he's a good kid and a hard worker. He just has a tenancy to speak in slang and sound like a dumb@$$. Maybe I should reserve this for my sister in law she's a bored housewife and very well spoken and educated. Thanks for answering my own ? guys!!
Old 01-28-2010, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney3223 View Post
i already have 1200 area businesses and leads with contact names etc. That's a good point that he will be the first impression and now that I think about it, I'm not sure that's a good idea! lol....he's a good kid and a hard worker. He just has a tenancy to speak in slang and sound like a dumb@$$. Maybe I should reserve this for my sister in law she's a bored housewife and very well spoken and educated. Thanks for answering my own ? guys!!
I agree. If he is not articulate, you do not want him on the phone speaking with your prospects. However, perhaps he can distribute doorhangers and literature for you. I like the idea of having your sister-in-law making the calls. I occassionally have a girl in our office make calls to set appointments for me. She does a great job getting me about 6 quality leads in a couple of hours.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i've never tried the door hanger thing but i have had some mild success with flyers in target neighborhoods. i am def. going to have him do that because any bozo can put out flyers as long as their not in a paper box or mail box. I was also thinking of getting a set up at the local home and garden show this year but i don't know. last year i went to see if it was worth it and most of the people there were yahoos. i think the media coverage is worth price alone. full page spreads in the paper and all kinds of literature with your brand on it. i mean for $700.00 it's kind of a no brainer. what do you think?
Old 01-31-2010, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm VERY surprised he's NOT fileing for unemployment.
you do know that you can collect it while working, when things get slow.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiaa View Post
I'm VERY surprised he's NOT fileing for unemployment.
you do know that you can collect it while working, when things get slow.
what are you talking about?