Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-26-2010, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This time not adding the Mulch

Everyone is always talking about add mulch to landscaping but what about have to remove it? When do you do this and how?

Thanks for the input.
2013 x2 Turf Tiger Kohlar 61" 52"
2013 x3 Sthil FS 100RX
2009 Sthil FS 110R
2009 x2 Sthil BR 600
2010 Stihl Chain Saw Farm Boss MS290 18"
2012 Stihl CHain Saw MS190
2008 Stihl HS 45 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl BG 85 Blower

2011 Kubota MX5100 w/ Loader and Brush Hog & Other Attachments

"If you are passionate and love what you do, you will never work a day in your life."
Old 01-26-2010, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Member

On my properties when I edge I always remove some mulch, the main thing with too much mulch is you don't want it piling up on the plantor the root ball, that's when you start getting plant material dying off. As an example if I have a property that takes 10 yards of mulch I will usally have 2-3 yards of edges and old mulch that gets hauled away. Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

ALL mulch helps the roots of shrubs and trees and will decompose into the soil and only help the trees and shrubs roots. I have mulched thousands and thousands of plants and trees and have never killed one and most of the time the plants thrive when you add mulch to there root balls. I am mesmorized when I here of companies removing mulch from around trees and shrubs. I also think if a client can afford mulch then why not try to upsell them on a plant health care program for there entire landscape. jmo
Old 01-26-2010, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. View Post
ALL mulch helps the roots of shrubs and trees and will decompose into the soil and only help the trees and shrubs roots. I have mulched thousands and thousands of plants and trees and have never killed one and most of the time the plants thrive when you add mulch to there root balls. I am mesmorized when I here of companies removing mulch from around trees and shrubs. I also think if a client can afford mulch then why not try to upsell them on a plant health care program for there entire landscape. jmo
this sound dumb but I didn't know mulch helped, i thought it was really just something to cover dirt and give some more color to the landscaping.

And what are you guys talking about edging?
2013 x2 Turf Tiger Kohlar 61" 52"
2013 x3 Sthil FS 100RX
2009 Sthil FS 110R
2009 x2 Sthil BR 600
2010 Stihl Chain Saw Farm Boss MS290 18"
2012 Stihl CHain Saw MS190
2008 Stihl HS 45 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl BG 85 Blower

2011 Kubota MX5100 w/ Loader and Brush Hog & Other Attachments

"If you are passionate and love what you do, you will never work a day in your life."
Old 01-26-2010, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenbowLawn View Post
Everyone is always talking about add mulch to landscaping but what about have to remove it? When do you do this and how?

Thanks for the input.
I removed 30 yards of mulch once to replace the areas with turf. I just took a bobcat and dumped it in a 30 yard roll off.....the roll off was a mistake though, next time im just gonna use the trucks at the local materials recycling place, its way cheaper then the roll off.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Denbow dont be afraid to ask questions here on lawnsite since there are many fantastic landscape owners all over the country and I have gotten some good ideas here. My background is I have an associates in horticulture and the landscape business has been in the family for over 50 years and I am 35 !
Old 01-26-2010, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. View Post
Mulching can be of tremendous benefit to woody ornamentals. But like everything else it must be done properly.
http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/mulching.aspx

As for plant health care programs, they are a great way to improve your clients' landscape and your business.

Oh, any organic matter removed from properties should go composting facilities,

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-26-2010, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you Barry, that is what I was to trying to point out. Your link explains it very well.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i have had to remove mulch b4 where it WAS killing off the plants. it was crappy cypress mulch. here it does not decay very well and forms a mat. if you mulch year after year it jsut builds up and then the roots try to grown in it and end up drying out and it hurts the plant.

it was a hard rake, pitch fork and wheel barrow kind of work and it sucked.

i convinced them to stick with hardwood and it is much better now and does not build up as fast. we actually remove much of the mulch when doing our fall and spring landscape cleanups but it is inadvertant while blowing and raking leaves etc.. it always gets a fresh layer after the cleanup.

if your landscape beds are close to the street or drive, or you can drive on the lawn, you can use your leaf vac to remove the mulch. just be sure not to over do how much your trailer and dump can handle!!
Old 01-26-2010, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bo View Post
Thank you Barry, that is what I was to trying to point out. Your link explains it very well.
You're welcome Jim. I love getting a call from a new prospect who is having tree problems. They start pointing up while I'm looking down.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt