Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-09-2011, 02:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My F250HD has single rear wheels and standard "non commercial" plates. The State Patrol around here are notorious for pulling over and ticketing anything that looks commercial. Having dual rear wheels makes you a target. Tickets/fines are almost automatic they have so many rules. I have talked to multiple people, owners of businesses around here who complained about getting pulled over and inspected with nothing on the vehicle showing a flaw and having their time and schedule messed up. They have gone to the state and were given stickers to put on their trucks that basically tell the patrol officers to leave them alone.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im currently running the same set-up in a silverado 1500 6 1/2ft box. I've got 8ft folding alluminum arched ramps (3 of them) each rated for 700lbs. the only reason i have 3 is because the front left caster is offset. Is one of your casters offset on your wright stander? Do you strap the ramps down to the hitch? I'll try to get a picture up sometime soon.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunot View Post
some of you guys need to realize that there's more out there than your personal experiences and needs before you disparage different approaches.

There are full width, 1200- 2000 lb capacity steel ramps of varying lengths (much like trailer ramps) that attach to pickups and are supported in a variety of ways that do not involve putting weight on the tailgate (often the tailgate is removed). Some mount so that you can use the tailgate as additional load space, supporting the load via the trailer hitch, others allow you to drive mowers onto a platform in the bed which the ramp is slide up into, so that you can retain the tailgate via a system that removes any load from it also. There are other designs that become the tailgate when folded up. None are cheap. They take well less than a minute to deploy.

Used with a long bed hd pickup that has a load capacity of 3,000 lbs or more, you've got a quite stable, compact rough equivalent of a 5x8 or even 5x10 trailer depending on the ramp design. With trimmer racks like shown in the photos, plus a "headache rack" that can also be used to safety and securely hang items like blowers, etc, you have plenty of room for:

... An up to 50" wide ztr, stand-on, or walk behind ,
...a 21" mower,
... And even a 32/36" bop quick mower if you should want one.
...you can fit two midsize wb's in the back of a safe-t-ramp equipped 8' bed truck, including one over 52" if you wheelie up one mower to clear the wheel wells a bit and put it in the right spot. Or two standers of the right brand.

With the loadout of a ztr and a 21" only, there's room for a large bagger, a ladder, a pole hedge pruner, an edger, a trimmer, a blower, gas, trimmer line spool, a second blower, and collection barrels for modest amounts of clippings/debris w/o anything being piled on anything else.

Why would someone waste their time doing this?

1. Better fuel economy. (about 17%)
2. Ease of parking in front of homes on tiny lots and in short driveways on busy streets.
3. Easier to drive in traffic and tight urban areas.
4. Easier to maneuver on dead end streets
5. Safer and easier backing out into traffic
6. Feels safer than trailering. Stops a lot faster than even trailer-brake equipped trailers. No unintended curb-hopping if unattentive, etc.
7. Easy to park in a shop garage and forget. No loading/unloading required. Truck and gear have protection from elements and prying eyes w/o unloading.
8. You still have a trailer available when you need one.
9. If you mulch clippings and rarely have to haul off pruned cuttings, don't tarp leaves, don't bring in your own mulch to install while also mowing lawns the same day, etc, you don't miss the bed space.
10. Last, and most importantly, you can get in drive thrus easier!

I've run trailers for many many years and just prefer not having a trailer behind me when conditions allow it. It's more forgiving of inattention, i feel more in control, and it's easier to park. I've backed 40' trailers through crowded parking lots before as part of my work in the past, but that doesn't mean it's enjoyable.
amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2011, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepoutside View Post
This is one of my set up's I use. Love the ramp, and trimmer rack set up. We have a trailer for the larger equipment we run 2-3 days a week, but use this set up for most of our accounts. In the summer the front toolbox is not there, and a blower rack is on the drivers side. As you can see, love the ramps for snow blowers in the winter. ( could not find summer pic's )

Hey Shep! How many lbs is that ramp rated for?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-10-2011, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetree View Post
Shepoutside -- I see that you have 2 Sutech 33" machines ... I've never seen anyone with 2 of those before now !! What's the deal with that ... why is it that you need 2 of them !!
Well, got 4 of em, lol. One spare, use 3 when doing Condo's & Estate Lots.

Last edited by shepoutside; 10-10-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindblomRJ View Post
The only nit I have with your setup is the ramp isn't as wide as the box. I guess if it were mine I'd widen it out. When it is latched on both sides it would also beef up the pickup box.
I have it this way, so when I use the trailer, I can jack-knife it, and the ramp will open over the tounge, without unhooking the trailer. Wil post a pic later.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THIESSENS TLC View Post
Hey Shep! How many lbs is that ramp rated for?
Posted via Mobile Device
1200 Lbs I think, it's got a locking bracket hinge, for strenth.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindblomRJ View Post
The only nit I have with your setup is the ramp isn't as wide as the box. I guess if it were mine I'd widen it out. When it is latched on both sides it would also beef up the pickup box.
This is why it is off set, so I can unload with the trailer on.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Very nice!
Old 11-17-2011, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepoutside View Post
This is why it is off set, so I can unload with the trailer on.
Good idea. It might also be possible to do a trailer/ramp setup where you could unload from the truck bed into the trailer, and then into the street. For when you have a LOT of gear to haul.