Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2010, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

iPhone/iTouch app for task scheduling

I just bought an iTouch and am looking for an app for task scheduling. Does anybody have one they like, or dislike?

I've posted the request in other threads, without any answer. Others say they are looking for the same thing. Perhaps giving the topic a separate thread will create some useful feedback.

The calender is not what I need. A calender feature controls the date, and tasks are dependent on the date. On the other hand, a task scheduler is in control, and the date is dependent. I want to be sure that all tasks scheduled are managed, regardless of date, and able to be marked as "done" when completed.

Anybody have any suggestions? The iStore has some choices, but some are probably better than others.

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Have a look at "Pocket Informant." Theres a free version to try out.
It syncs with Google Cal. I had trouble setting it up and just went back to iCal.
I dont have a lot of customers so iCal works for me.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmmm, I am disappointed about the lack of responses. So many people speak about how great an iPhone works, and all the apps available. I wrongly presumed that a task scheduler would be near the top of the app list. Perhaps I've not understood the posts about how people use their iPhone or iTouch devices. This one seemed pretty basic to me.

Wrong...
Old 01-28-2010, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Hmmmm, I am disappointed about the lack of responses. So many people speak about how great an iPhone works, and all the apps available. I wrongly presumed that a task scheduler would be near the top of the app list. Perhaps I've not understood the posts about how people use their iPhone or iTouch devices. This one seemed pretty basic to me.

Wrong...
Did you try Pocket Informant?
Old 01-29-2010, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mick, ... I did not read your other post properly. My mistake, sorry. The other references led me to believe Informant was a PC application,not one for iPhone.

Anyway, yes, I did check it out after your second suggestion. And, yes, it will work. It seems a bit overkill for my needs, but better too much, than not enough. I did find a couple of others that will probably work too.

I have used a Palm Pilot for many years. The task scheduler is very simple, easy to use, and is all that I need. The apps for the iPhone are more extensive, and will work, albeit with a bit more attention.

I've also learned the same to be true for contacts. The Contacts in Palm Pilot is very easy, exactly the same on PC and mobile device. I use Outlook Express, not Outlook. Express includes only e-mail address, along with name. None of the other information is part of the database. From what I can see, Google Gmail, with the associated contact list is the only way to go. I've had to set up a new Gmail account, just to handle the contacts. The synch function can be set to use only Google Contacts to keep the two databases together.

In these two basic functions, I've come to believe the Palm is very simple and easy, over against the iPhone/iTouch system. Yes, the iXxxxx stuff is more extensive, but also more complicated to use.

... continuing to learn and become familiar.

Thanks for the tip Mick... With so many people speaking positively about their iPhone, and the number of apps, I was sure this would be a hot thread to share good apps ideas.

BTW, did anybody see the CNBC program on Thursday evening, 8:00 ET --- planetoftheapps? It was fully devoted to Apple's idea of apps, who uses, how developed, how distributed, etc. It was valuable to see the underlying ideas of the apps wave of popularity.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

No problem Roger!

To be honest, I just use iCal on my Mac with Cal on iPhone. I do all the organizing on the Mac and just edit like (Done, price or change date if jobs missed.) on the phone after the job. I dont have a lot of customers to organize so it works for me.
It was another mowing guy that told me about Informant, he loves it but it was over kill for me.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

check out mow quote in the app store free version or 29.99 for full version