Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-26-2010, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHIPPLE5.7 View Post
Funny you mention S-10s. I picked one up for $900 and I use it for my business when I don't need a full size truck and it has been super reliable and really good on gas. I work the crap out of that little truck and I have never had one repair to do on it ever.
Alright cool my parrents so not want my first car to be a big truck that way if I get in an accident I do not kill the person in the other car
Ferris 32
Toro 21
Redmax BCZ2401s, Redmax HE225f, Redmax EBZ7100 Kawasaki KRB300
1999 Honda Oddsey
6X10 trailer
Old 01-26-2010, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah...

I really don't put many miles on my truck, I replaced the front brake pads a year ago,
I am very easy on the brakes and it is a 3/4 ton so it has the beefier pads.
Beefier than the 1/2 ton's brakes that is, I wouldn't think comparing them to a suk-10 is even a comparison.
And I just got done running my front brakes metal to metal.

Good thing I caught it early, only had to replace the $100 rotor on one side.
Not to mention it didn't get far enough to split the rotor or eat into the caliper, that could have ruined my day.

Now y'all young'uns do what you want, buy yourself those cheap trucks and drop a load of weight in it
and hook a trailer up too, but don't be surprised when that POS won't stop in time.

Last edited by topsites; 01-26-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I froght to mention my farthest account that I have is 10 miles away( it is a family friend) I only need to mow there every other week other then that all my other accounts are no farther then 2 miles
Ferris 32
Toro 21
1999 Honda Oddsey
6X10 trailer
Old 01-26-2010, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with a truck before a 32" judging by your sig you have a decent 21" that you can use for gated areas and whatnot for the time being. when you get a truck just figure you're gonna need a couple hundred to put into it right away....just in case

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Old 01-26-2010, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRi24 View Post
I would go with a truck before a 32" judging by your sig you have a decent 21" that you can use for gated areas and whatnot for the time being. when you get a truck just figure you're gonna need a couple hundred to put into it right away....just in case
Yes I was thinking I could just use the 21 I have a freind that helps me when I need help and if I put my gated yards all on schedule for one day he will help me and I just will have another 21 handy and we could do it using that methood but I will then be screwed wehn I have overgrown gated backyards
Ferris 32
Toro 21
1999 Honda Oddsey
6X10 trailer
Old 01-28-2010, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

build your clientele as close to your "homebase" and focus on doing more work and establishing a good relationship with your current clients..dont try to expand..you need to make the most out of what you have to work with..all of your "new" accounts should be accounts that meet certain criteria for you,, such as close to home and they have to let you do extras on the property..not just a mow and blow...think about it... when you mow and thats it for a client..all they need to do when they fire you is find another person to mow their grass for the same price..youre replaced just like that..but when you start doing more for them like cleaning their gutters and picking up debris in the winter and pulling weeds in landscaping.. all of this is labor... you dont need a new truck if you stick to this and do more labor services that just require you being punctual
Old 01-29-2010, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexxxy View Post
build your clientele as close to your "homebase" and focus on doing more work and establishing a good relationship with your current clients..dont try to expand..you need to make the most out of what you have to work with..all of your "new" accounts should be accounts that meet certain criteria for you,, such as close to home and they have to let you do extras on the property..not just a mow and blow...think about it... when you mow and thats it for a client..all they need to do when they fire you is find another person to mow their grass for the same price..youre replaced just like that..but when you start doing more for them like cleaning their gutters and picking up debris in the winter and pulling weeds in landscaping.. all of this is labor... you dont need a new truck if you stick to this and do more labor services that just require you being punctual
Yep every one of my coustomers that I have lined uup really like my work I did extra work as well for all my coustomers except one last year so I do have a great relationship with all my coustomers but I did drop 2 and one moved so I would like to get a few new coustomers at least to replace them (the reason I droped 2 were one never paid and laft a bunch of crap laying around the yard) then the other never would pick up the dog crap (they have 3 huge dogs) so I got tired of it
Ferris 32
Toro 21
1999 Honda Oddsey
6X10 trailer