Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-28-2010, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know about the parents helping out, it's more of a double-edged sword than anything else,
mine do it too and while it's appreciated on the one hand, on the other I feel it ruins me in ways, too...
To me it's not so much about feeling worthless thou that's probably got something
to do with it, but more than anything I feel it makes me lazy, and dependent.

And like yourself, to all the folks who think that it would be great if parents just threw money your way, take it
from some folks who have been there, it ain't all that, karma's got a way of making even good things suck.

Now...
You have to make the choice, only you know what it is you want, take the job and risk not
ever being able to get your business going but have a steady, secure source of income...
Or tell your soon-to-be-wife to start tightening up her belt, not so much
to be mean but she needs to be ready and with you on it, too.

I ain't kidding, it's not all a bed of roses, try as you might but this lawn stuff really is a bit on the limited income
side of things, no matter how I look at it... I can work longer hours and get more work done BUT I have to give
discounts or... I can get the money I need for the work I'm doing and then I'm stuck at home a fair part of the time.
And sure if I balance it out real careful like I can strike a happy middle note but it's still
not the amount I'd like to get for the hours worth of work, so to speak.

I guess it boils down to finding side incomes but more than anything what it really boils down to is making ends
meet with what you got, and in the lawn business at least speaking for myself that ain't never a whole lot of money.

Hope it works out for you, however you decide.

Last edited by topsites; 01-28-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeandia View Post
I bet Storm the Patriot is 19 years old. If it were up to me you would have to be at least 27 before you could get married.
^^^^^^Good advice^^^^^^...believe me!!! I didn't get married until I was 30....the best time of a man's life is from ages 21 to 30....don't buy a cow when there's a whole pasture full cows will to give away the milk for free

Chad Clark
225-257-5566
chad@clarkunlimited.com
www.clarkunlimited.com
www.facebook.com/culawns
La. Licensed Landscape Horticulturist
La. Licensed Ornamental & Turf Pesticide Applicator
La. Licensed Irrigation Contractor
Old 01-28-2010, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a lot of money put away to help with things...and like I said family WANTS and is pretty much demanding to help me out when i get married, so finances wont neccesarily be a problem. We have built our business and are doing ok...but i want more...thats why i asked about taking another job...its funny listening to the so called tough guys on the net...lol...thanks everyone who had some significant to say...

and btw-i am 28...a college graduate with two degrees...and a professional sponsored weightlifter...who lost one eye in a weightlifting accident...a little background.

thanks everyone.

Phillipians 4:13: “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

"Most bad government has grown out of too much government."-Thomas Jefferson

"When the American spirit was in its youth, the language of America was different: Liberty, sir, was the primary object." -Patrick Henry

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard."
-Stonewall Jackson
Old 01-28-2010, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hate to seem like an a** and I truly do hate to, but I don't feel a lawncare forum is the appropriate place to post this, to many different opinions, etc. I think you ultimately need to make this decision yourself
Old 01-28-2010, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

just wanted some opinions...nothing wrong with posting that on an open forum.

Phillipians 4:13: “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

"Most bad government has grown out of too much government."-Thomas Jefferson

"When the American spirit was in its youth, the language of America was different: Liberty, sir, was the primary object." -Patrick Henry

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard."
-Stonewall Jackson
Old 01-28-2010, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have time to consolidate your current work into 3 days? If so, take the other job as well, bust ass and work 6 days a week. Make the money while the works in front of you. If you need more time down the road for landscaping, quit the other job then, but for now working both jobs will beat spending time sitting at home because you finished all your work for the week already.

Chevy, GMC, and Ford Trucks, All Bob-Cat Mowers, Stihl Handhelds and Saws
Old 01-28-2010, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm the Patriot View Post
I have a lot of money put away to help with things...and like I said family WANTS and is pretty much demanding to help me out when i get married, so finances wont neccesarily be a problem. We have built our business and are doing ok...but i want more...thats why i asked about taking another job...its funny listening to the so called tough guys on the net...lol...thanks everyone who had some significant to say...

and btw-i am 28...a college graduate with two degrees...and a professional sponsored weightlifter...who lost one eye in a weightlifting accident...a little background.

thanks everyone.
You or your parents spent all that College money on 2 degrees and your going to cut grass for a living ?
Doolittle 7x12 Trailor
Redmax EBZ 8001
Stihl FS90 R Trimmer
Stihl FS100 RX Trimmer
Stihl SH 86 Vac
Kawasaki KHT600D Hedge Trimmer
Magna Matic 9000 Blade Shapener
Magna Matic 1000 Blade Balancer