Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-28-2010, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Take another job or not?

Third or so year in my property maintenance/home improvement business...Doing okay, but nothing fantastic...

I have a chance of getting another job for 3 days a week...12 hrs a day...it would add another 15-20,000 a yr. Should I take this? I enjoy working, and my mom is saying she would help me out while my business is growing...but i enjoy working and dont feel like a man when im sitting home not working because of lack of work...What would you do in this situation? Would you keep trying to build the business 6-7 months and being secure with money from moms/pops(getting married in that time, even though she still wants to help me out while im married) or should I take another job to help out? I know most will say if mom wants to help you out...let her! but I dont feel like a man, because i feel i should work out, plus the extra income would help.

I appreciate any input.

Phillipians 4:13: “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

"Most bad government has grown out of too much government."-Thomas Jefferson

"When the American spirit was in its youth, the language of America was different: Liberty, sir, was the primary object." -Patrick Henry

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard."
-Stonewall Jackson
Old 01-28-2010, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For you….I would have to say get another job…..no business owner ever made his business work by sitting at home. If you don’t have what it takes to get out there and find customers when there is all kind of customers to be gotten….then its time for you to hang it up and go work for someone else

It is what it is......

Check out some of our manicuring http://sangerlawncareplus.com/Site%202/Photos%202.html
Old 01-28-2010, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I love you guys who get married with little to no income. Take the job and hopefully it will turn into a full time opportunity for you. At that point you can start thinking of marriage.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Take whatever work you can get. Good for you for not wanting to take help from mom and wanting to support yourself. You still have 4 days a week to work on your business. And don't listen to anybody else on when you can "start thinking about marriage", as it isn't their business.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLewis79 View Post
And don't listen to anybody else on when you can "start thinking about marriage", as it isn't their business.
I bet Storm the Patriot is 19 years old. If it were up to me you would have to be at least 27 before you could get married.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeandia View Post
I bet Storm the Patriot is 19 years old. If it were up to me you would have to be at least 27 before you could get married.
I am still new to this forum and haven't figured out how to send a PM yet, but I'd like to continue this discussion with you. But I don't want to hijack this thread.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I am still new to this forum and haven't figured out how to send a PM yet, but I'd like to continue this discussion with you. But I don't want to hijack this thread.
You have to have so many posts before you are aloud to send pms….I thought it was 10 posts but could be wrong? Ether way, you should be able to pm soon

It is what it is......

Check out some of our manicuring http://sangerlawncareplus.com/Site%202/Photos%202.html
Old 01-28-2010, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Click my name and a menu will pop up.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

There is no option to send a PM when I click on your name. Oh well. It will have to wait for later, I guess.

Hijack over.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Take the job. You still have over 40 hours left in the week to devote to your business. I did the same thing when I was getting started, worked 3 days a week and the other 4 on my projects. This year I'm looking forward to hopefully being able to take some sundays off since it will be the first full year im landscaping full time

Chevy, GMC, and Ford Trucks, All Bob-Cat Mowers, Stihl Handhelds and Saws