Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2010, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

very good choice.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
That truck is a custom built it is pretty rare you find a single axle tractor like that. The 13spd is probably a 12513 with the OD howl. Good transmission they were common in those year of trucks.

Here is a 400 Cummins with a 13spd

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrkTgQ3mim4
Yeah it was pulling end dumps in Cali prior to my purchase, and it actually has the running gear out of a 1991 Peterbilt 379
Old 02-01-2010, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sweet purchase, better to be on the safe side and get a truck bigger than what you need.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
Nice! Ebay is a dangerous place, however I ended up buying all my trucks locally.

Depending on the rear axle ratio that's utterly my preferred combo in a transport. Cummins with the 13 speed. I've never spec'd a class 8 with a single axle, but that's most definitely cool for hauling heavy equipment around. At least you shouldn't have to worry about tongue weight. Mileage might not be the greatest, but for driving ease and staying within DOT weight limits, you can't go wrong
Mileage isnt going to be any worse than a 1 ton diesel, plus it will haul a ton more and a lot more safe. big motors are the only way to go!!
Old 02-01-2010, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mow king View Post
Yeah it was pulling end dumps in Cali prior to my purchase, and it actually has the running gear out of a 1991 Peterbilt 379
Have a look on the timing gear plate its on the injection pump side of the engine see what series the engine is. You would hope to see 400 BCIII you don't want to see 444 which is the 444 engine not the best had quite a few problems.

If the truck has a transmission from a 1991 it will have the heavier 13spd.

You can get more power out of the old 400 Cummins but you have to know what you are doing when adjusting the old PT pump. Best to leave it be.

If the truck has a 3 stage JAKE have the Jake plungers rebuilt and have the adjustment along with the valves. The 400 Cummins has a good Jake it will lock up the wheels on a single axle.

Never idle a 400 Cummins for a long period of time the injectors slobber quite abit the old PT fuel system isn't a high tech system. There is no injection pump the pump on the engine pretty much feeds the injectors with fuel through the heads. You look between the heads there are fuel crossover pipes they tend to leak. Those little O rings are a b*tch to change.

I like the old 400s they usually are problem free.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
Have a look on the timing gear plate its on the injection pump side of the engine see what series the engine is. You would hope to see 400 BCIII you don't want to see 444 which is the 444 engine not the best had quite a few problems.

If the truck has a transmission from a 1991 it will have the heavier 13spd.

You can get more power out of the old 400 Cummins but you have to know what you are doing when adjusting the old PT pump. Best to leave it be.

If the truck has a 3 stage JAKE have the Jake plungers rebuilt and have the adjustment along with the valves. The 400 Cummins has a good Jake it will lock up the wheels on a single axle.

Never idle a 400 Cummins for a long period of time the injectors slobber quite abit the old PT fuel system isn't a high tech system. There is no injection pump the pump on the engine pretty much feeds the injectors with fuel through the heads. You look between the heads there are fuel crossover pipes they tend to leak. Those little O rings are a b*tch to change.

I like the old 400s they usually are problem free.
Yeah - I'll have to take a look at the motor next time I'm at the yard.

It does have the 3 stage jake brake.

90% of the time I won't be grossing 50k pounds, I really doubt I'll have to turn this motor up! Going to try leaving it stock.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The two pics of the motor I have on my comp..

Old 02-02-2010, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

A 400 Cummins will have around 1250-1300 Ftlbs of torque. You will definatly want to learn how to float the transmission. Using the clutch to shift with a 400 your going to blow shifts.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mow king View Post
The two pics of the motor I have on my comp..

It looks like that old girl is turned up the turbo looks like it has gotten hot

The turbo doesn't look like the whistler Holset you usually find on the 400s maybe it is just hard to tell from the pictures. Does the exhaust note have a sound like birds chirping and when you rev it up the engine has a pronounced turbo whistle.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Holset turbo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrzNfjh3NA4

This is why I said you need to float the gears with a 400 Cummins this is how this old girls like to be shifted

www.youtube.com/user/Hotrodx199#p/u/3/LpoS7cI4c64