Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2000, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I just move to an new town 1 year ago. I work for a company that has 8 employes and have been in business for 1year and 4 months. They did 200,000 their first year and we are slamed right now. I don't get paid but 300.00 per week and I want to start my own company. I've tried flyers,cold calls,face to face meetings with builders,passed out business cards,etc..and I can't get one yard to cut.Do I have to try and buy accounts from some other company or what.That is how my boss got rolling.Also how do you come up with the money to get started? I have no one to get a loan from,and have tried the bank.I did two installs for a builder and had great feed back form him and others but that was all. No word of mouth spread to anyone.My yard recives complements from many people driving by (I cut it with an locke reel).I've had professinal signs made up and put in my yard and recieved not one call from it. What could I be doing wrong. Any help would be great.Thanks for your comments.
Old 03-17-2000, 05:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,<p>Just an idea that has worked for me, so whether it will work for you, I don't know.<p>I started by doing a job for someone in the office at work. She was a older couple and they just needed some weeds pulled and some mulch done, so I said 20 an hour and I'll do it. Being how hard it is to get contractors around here, they immediately agreed and I started working<p>Well, now this job has done what I couldn't believe. After doing the mulch, which I did with some borrowed tools, my own Sonoma, and even some of their tools, they decided to have some planting done. So I did that. Next, they wanted a new walk, so I installed a paver walk for them. Next, the neighbor, who is landscaper, saw my work, was very impressed, and asked if I could help him out with a walk. Sure enough, I did another walk the weekend after I finished that one. Next, some relatives of the the lady at work needed work. I went there, and before I knew it, I sold a 20000 walk/patio job with full planting and even a 3000 irrigation install. <p>Do you catch my drift here?<p>Its unbelievable what can happen these days. The market is ripe and you just have to jump into it somewhere, anywhere for that matter. A 200 dollar mulch job has now booked me for over 50000 in work, which sucks for me because I already work full time and have to consider what I should do, stay at my job or quit and go full time. <p>As for tools, don't worry too much. Start with the basics, (I know there's a lot of counter arguments) I started that mulch job with just my own truck and some shovels I borrowed from work. After I did the mulch job, I went out and bought 2 shovels and a rake. After they gave me the down deposit for the walk, I bought a wheelbarrel and more rakes and shovels. Next, after the second walkm a 1000 dollar sod job for there daughter, and selling the 20000 job, I bought myself a used dump for 3000 dollars. Now, I'm thinking about buying a used tractor even and have just registered my vehicles commercially and have a liability policy coming at the end of the month.<p><br>It is very easy, at least I thought it was, to get started. The main thing is just you have to have the desire to work and the will to succeed. This business, to me, is better than any stock market. I put everthing back in that i make because I know the pay off will be great. <p>So, if your trying to start, I'll say this. Take anything, from small to big. The snowball effect will definitely come into play. Even if it is mowing your neighbors yard, or picking up sticks at your grandpa's, do it. It may take a little time at first, but when it starts it Really starts, and you'll be struggling just trying to keep up.<br>
Old 03-17-2000, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I DO ALOT OF ADVERTISING FOR MY GREENHOUSE BUSINESS . WHAT I HAVE FOUND IS YOU HAVE TO THINK LIKE A CUSTOMER NOT A BUSINESS OWNER. PEOPLE ARE BUSY THEY CAN DRIVE BY YOUR SIGNS EVERY DAY AND NEVER SEE THEM . HECK THERES EVEN PEOPLE THAT WOULD DRIVE BYE A BURNING BARN FIRE AND NEVER SEE IT IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. I WOULD TRY THE SERVICE GUIDE SECTION OF A MAJOR PAPER IN YOUR AREA. ALOT OF CUSTOMERS ARE LOOKING THERE. DO THE UNEXPECTED CRAFT SHOWS? YA CRAFT SHOWS SET UP A DISPLAY AND HAND OUT CARDS AND BROCHURES WHO GOES TO CRAFT SHOWS LADIES THE PEOPLE THAT MAKE THAT OUTDOOR THING HAPPEN. AT THE LANDSCAPE SHOW I JUST GOT DONE WITH THE WIFE IS THE ONE TO TALK FIRST AND THE GUY IS SECOND (WITH THE CHECK BOOK) DON'T GIVE UP KEEP TRYING SEE YA JARRETT