Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2010, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Member

When is the EARLIEST I can plant fescue seed?

does anyone know the EARLIEST i can overseed my fescue lawn. I use a lawncare company and they like everyone else is AGAINST a spring seeding. they say the new grass wont be developed enough by summer yada yada..... i believe them... but i really think that IF DONE EARLY ENOUGH i can get SOME grass to come up and last until the FALL when I'll aerate and overseed again.....
my question is HOW SOON can I put this seed down.. It is Jan 31st... what about MID-FEB 2010 after a good cross core aeration... that should be enough time ( 1st day of spring is March 20,2010 ) ...

I am in Atlanta, GA 30314 zip code....
what are your thoughts....
Old 01-31-2010, 04:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fescue is some tough and hardy seed. You could over seed it now and be safe. However it will not sprout until ground temps stay around 55 at night. You also risk that most of the seed will be scavenged by birds. Just wait a little longer maybe to the end of March or so. Buy yourself a inexpensive meat thermometer with a Stainless Steel Probe and check soil and when it stays above 50 for a week, then sow the seed. The good thing about the seed being down is that it will begin to swell with some spring rain and heat. Up here in TN, I like to sow fescue on a light snow: It shows you where you've been, how thick the seed has been placed, and when the snow leaves; it takes the seed into the soft ground. Just a few tips. Fescue will grow on a rock with the right temp and water.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Raim is right. Get a soil thermometer. Wait for 55. Is this a new lawn? Keep an eye on nearby already mature-fescue. When it greens up and starts to grow--it is time to seed--about a week or two before the first mowing. Sowing seed into cold soil doesn't work well. Looks like you have about 35 degrees right now.
http://www.greencastonline.com/SoilTempMaps.aspx
Sure corn can be planted in February, but the farmers know better. Another option is to pre-chill and then pre-germinate the seed inside in warm water.
http://www.sportsgrass.com/info/plan...RE-GERMINATION

You might also consider pregerminated perennial rye, much quicker than fescue.
Maybe the sports turf people know how to warm up the soil faster. Water with well water at 55 degrees for a few days, for example. Black plastic and solar pool cover, is a possibility.
Be sure to use top quality seed--like Defiance TTTF. Be sure to use starter fertilizer and a starter booster every two weeks. Irrigate evey day for 6 weeks. No pre-emergent crabgrass control (except siduron) until the second mowing. Same for weed control. Drive can be used on most new grass.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
You might also consider pregerminated perennial rye, much quicker than fescue.
I was just going to suggest that. Furthermore, anytime I seed fescue I always mix it with rye grass. Do wait until March though. Your results will be much better.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the info..... all great info....

Chile....siince you;re in the atlanta area... ( hampton,ga is only about 20mins away from atlanta ) when do you think is the earliest i should put this seed down.. i plan to do a core aeration + overseed (Lesco transistion blend) ......... you say you wouldnt wait until March... when would you aerate and seed?

can you guys recommend a good starter fertilizer? and what about the starter BOOSTER - what the name of this product.. I would like to research it....
Old 01-31-2010, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to JDL for your fert: 18-24-12. March 15 is your 80% safe-from-a-freeze date.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I see you are in Atlanta, you would be fine anytime within the next couple of weeks. I too normally "prefer fall seeding" but if I miss someone in the fall you can do them in the spring.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

i think my plans of a early seeding may be ruined........... my lawn care company came today - feb 4th - and applied my late winter treatment... they sprayed BARRICADE pre-emergent and something called Ester-2 weed control.........

how long do I have to wait after this pre-emergent and weed control was put down
to overseed fescue seed ??? can i still shoot from March 15 or will this pre-emergent and weed control prevent my seed germination & I;d have to wait until Fall 2010??
Old 02-04-2010, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

CORRECTION:

It was BARRICADE pre-emergent and something called 3Way Ester weed control that they applied today -- how long do I have to wait after this pre-emergent and weed control was put down to overseed fescue seed ???
Old 02-04-2010, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

As soon as the ground temp. is around a sustained 50ish degree F. Up here its usually May before we can plant anything.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net

Tags
earliest , early , fescue , seed , spring