Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2010, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Thanks for all the feedback fellows. I appreciate it. I'm trying to decided between the f150 with the 3 valve 4.6 or a gmc 1/2 ton with the 4.8 or 5.3 engines. According to Transport Canada's data here in Canada, gm's 4.8 L gets 15.9 litres/100 km in the city, the 5.3 gets 14.4 litres/100 km and the ford 4.6 l gets 14.9 litres/100km in the city. I don't know how to change those numbers to mpg. The 4.8 gm engine only has a 4 speed auto. If it had a 6 speed, the figure would be better. I've always been a GM truck guy so I'm little hesitant to go over to ford. Tough choice but fuel economy is #1 for me. I'm not sure about the 5.3 l engine numbers because I've read a few comments where people with the 5.3 L engine are not getting any where near close to the estimated fuel economy.
The 5.3L only operates in V4 mode when you're NOT touching the go pedal, or cruise control is on, which optimizes fuel economy with that combo. If you went GM and you don't plan to tow over 6K, the 4.8L 4 speed will work fine. Parts are a plenty, and you WILL get similar, if not better real world fuel economy over the 5.3L and 6 speed if you don't tow often. Lower displacement = better mileage, irregardless of gears. Besides, I'm on a GM forum for my Astro cargo van (other work service vehicle) and the 5.3 6 speed guys are happy with their purchase, but with the absence of the 6.0L now, it's a tough sell. The 4.8L without cylinder deactivation should also be less costly down the road for repairs.

It ultimately comes down to personal preference, and by the sounds of it, you already know what you're going to buy. As much as fuel economy is important, it's capability that matters. If you want to tow 9K, the 3V 4.6l can do that with the lowest gears you can option. If you want a better ride, GM is the only one to go with, as its suspension is more compliant on nearly any surface. I'm not really biased as far as band name goes. However, the ultimate factor would be price. For instance, if I can get a GM for $35K, a similar Ford for $34K and a Dodge for $33K, I'd more than likely get the Dodge with the 310hp 4.7L V8 and 5 speed auto. Rebates are a plenty, so shop around. Price, followed by excellent service and support would be the ultimate buying factor for me.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

yes, i was refering the the 2v. and yes, it is weak for my standards too.