Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-03-2010, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

snow for the olympics

Just saw two truck and transfers loaded with snow headed through the Fraser Valley yesterday. I would guess I'll see a few more today and most likely headed for Mount Seymour, where they are building ski runs out of straw. It must be coming from the top of the Coquihala, so that is.....5 hour rounder? Maybe closer to 6 hours. 34 tonne per load times probably $160.00 an hour or thereabouts equals a lot of money to get ahead of the rain and the melting up there. Maybe Gravel Rat can get his 1 ton on that haul.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cypress Mountain. There are 32 truck and transfers running snow right now but they are all starving for work so I wouldn't be surprised if they are getting less than $100/hour. I will never understand the mentality "I am losing a little bit each trip, but I will make up for it in volume" that a lot of the truckers seem to employ.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I seen a little bit on the news but I didn't see who's hauling the snow. I don't know what snow weighs per ton I would think rolloff trucks with 40 yard bins would be more efficient.

Just think of it this way there is your tax money fleeing your bank account.
It will be the first and the last time you would ever see a dump truck production hauling snow
Old 02-03-2010, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
I seen a little bit on the news but I didn't see who's hauling the snow. I don't know what snow weighs per ton I would think rolloff trucks with 40 yard bins would be more efficient.

Just think of it this way there is your tax money fleeing your bank account.
It will be the first and the last time you would ever see a dump truck production hauling snow

FYI: A ton of snows weighs about the same as a ton of feathers, or a ton of concrete

The weight of the snow is relative to weather the sun is out, the ambient air temperature, the core temperature of the snow, What kind of snow it was originally.

The average snow may weigh 15 pounds per cubic foot and drifted compacted snow may weigh 20 pounds or more.

I think that's what you were looking for.

As for roll off bins, those guys are employed right now. I think they should of hired some 80 yard demo bin trucks. And overload them, seeing as word on the street is they're losing 10-15% of the load during transit.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's coming from Manning Park as well, 36 truck and transfers are hauling, every Tom, Dick and Gurpreet is hauling, and VANOC says the 2010 Olympics will be the greenest ever!!!!!
Hoy hell, all the diesel being burned!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 02-03-2010, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
the 2010 Olympics will be the greenest ever!!!!!
Before they started to truck the snow it was, did you see the pictures of Cypress?
Old 02-03-2010, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant View Post
FYI: A ton of snows weighs about the same as a ton of feathers, or a ton of concrete

The weight of the snow is relative to weather the sun is out, the ambient air temperature, the core temperature of the snow, What kind of snow it was originally.

The average snow may weigh 15 pounds per cubic foot and drifted compacted snow may weigh 20 pounds or more.

As for roll off bins, those guys are employed right now. I think they should of hired some 80 yard demo bin trucks. And overload them, seeing as word on the street is they're losing 10-15% of the load during transit.
==

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 02-03-2010, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree Ltd View Post
Before they started to truck the snow it was, did you see the pictures of Cypress?
The only pictures I saw were of the ski hills where the events are being held, bare ass bare.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 02-03-2010, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant View Post

It is totally unheard of hauling snow and here in the lower corner of B.C. we rarely get snow. Ohwell it is giving the truck drivers some work even thou they probably are barely making any money.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

On the news tonight they said they were planning to haul 150 loads (truck and transfer) to the slopes, and what about that giant helicopter hauling at over 10 000 per hour