Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2010, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another what skid steer to buy post?

I have a Cat 246b skid steer right now that needs a new set of tires on it.

Due to the rainy weather we have been having for the past 6 months im tired of spining and making ruts with the tires.

So I am in the market for a tracked machine. Dealer support is number 1 on my list. The cat dealer is 25 min. away and is very good to me. There is a ASV dealer about 10 min. away but local people in town say they are about useless. The bobcat and case dealer is about a 1 hour away. And there is no takki dealer around.

I am not brand loyal to any machine but I have had great luck with my cat. I do general landscaping (spread dirt, gravel, run harly rake, auger...)

I told my cat sales man I wanted a 247 or 257 on tracks. He said I would not like it because those machines onle have 56 hp where as the one i have now has 70. He said i may want a bigger machine or put vts on my cat now. I have 1650 hrs on my cat now and would like to buy a new one instead of putting vts on it.

What would you do??????

And why does a 246b on tires have 70 hp and a 247 on tracks have 56 hp?

Cat dealer is going to let me demo a machine this week to see is i like it.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred350 View Post
I have 1650 hrs on my cat now and would like to buy a new one instead of putting vts on it.
Why not vts? Too much weight gain for your current trailer setup?
Old 01-31-2010, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Drive to Huntsville and buy a Takeuchi.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
Drive to Huntsville and buy a Takeuchi.
I'd vote for that(or a Mustang) Why not go VTS, that might be a good option too.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I have a Cat 246b skid steer right now that needs a new set of tires on it.

Due to the rainy weather we have been having for the past 6 months im tired of spining and making ruts with the tires.

So I am in the market for a tracked machine. Dealer support is number 1 on my list. The cat dealer is 25 min. away and is very good to me. There is a ASV dealer about 10 min. away but local people in town say they are about useless. The bobcat and case dealer is about a 1 hour away. And there is no takki dealer around.

I am not brand loyal to any machine but I have had great luck with my cat. I do general landscaping (spread dirt, gravel, run harly rake, auger...)

I told my cat sales man I wanted a 247 or 257 on tracks. He said I would not like it because those machines onle have 56 hp where as the one i have now has 70. He said i may want a bigger machine or put vts on my cat now. I have 1650 hrs on my cat now and would like to buy a new one instead of putting vts on it.

What would you do??????

Cat dealer is going to let me demo a machine this week to see is i like it.

The 247 is actually closer to the 216-226 than it is a 246 even though numerically they are closer together. The 277 is a tracked version of a 246

CAT offers a VTS ready option for their skid steers. It takes away your two speed and other than that not sure what it offers specifically. If you just want a new machine a 246 or 256C with VTS would give you both wheel and track options. If you hunt and are a little patient you could find a VTS set for under 5K, sometimes much less. Other options are a wide tire option on your skid steer. The 33;s make a big difference in floation over the 12X16.5 tires. Your CAT salesman has probably had heard enough bitching over the low power output of the 247/257 that he knows you will be dissappointed in their performance, especially when you used to having a more powerful machine.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Bigred350

Has your current machine been reliable? None of my business but if it is paid for that puts a new spin on what you want to do.

I would look at VTS or bigger tires. IF you want a new machine. Since you are pleased with your CAT dealer then that is what I would buy. Sure would be nice if you are working on your machine call the guy at the parts counter and have him pull the parts while you are on your way.

Just my three cents.

Have a nice day

Sam

Last edited by Sam_French; 01-31-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: wrong name
Old 01-31-2010, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes the machine is paid for. I usually trade machines every 4 or 5 years anyway just because I like to keep newer equipment with low hours so I dont have to worry about break downs.

The only thing I have against vts is that it uses one chain instead of two to pull the tracks. Sometimes we pull shrubs up with our loader so I thought the vts may break a chain.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes VTS pulls using the rear hub. Just like track machines pull using one hub. As far as I know the only time I heard of VTS breaking a drive chain. Is on machines that use only one drive chain. I don't know which brands use this setup. Machines using two drive chains are ok.

I can see your side on keeping newer machines. However I have a sweet looking 743B. Personally I would use VTS over a CTL on a new machine. Gives your more options on configuring your equipment.

Also partial on using wide tires too.

Have a nice day.

Sam
Old 01-31-2010, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Yes the machine is paid for. I usually trade machines every 4 or 5 years anyway just because I like to keep newer equipment with low hours so I dont have to worry about break downs.

The only thing I have against vts is that it uses one chain instead of two to pull the tracks. Sometimes we pull shrubs up with our loader so I thought the vts may break a chain.
I don't think you would run in to trouble pulling shrubs with the VTS.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
The 247 is actually closer to the 216-226 than it is a 246 even though numerically they are closer together. The 277 is a tracked version of a 246
The Cat nomenclature is an attempt to classify machine by relative ROC rather than a straightforward ROC (like how Deere and Bobcat's Sxxx model numbers used to be). In this vein, the middle number tells you the relative ROC of the machine compared to its brothers in the lineup. (We're talking 50% ROCs here.) So in that vein, the 252B and 257B have similar ROCs even though they're completely different; the 277B and 272C would have had similar ROCs. So it's not that the 246B (2000 ROC) and 247B (2050 ROC) are similar in size; it's just that they have similar ROCs.