Register free!

Old 03-07-2000, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure everyone's getting busy the last week or so, but I've got a question for everyone about project scheduling.<p>When you book your projects, do you leave enough slack between them that, should someone call and ask if you can squeeze them in during the next few weeks, you've got room? Or do you stack your projects one after the other, and new projects go to the end of the line? <p>If you squeeze them in, do you charge a premium for 'squeezing'?<p>(I had someone ask me today - they wanted some grading done by mid-April - I turned them away.)
Old 03-07-2000, 11:46 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Stonehedge,<br>We keep some time open( tring to keep overtime down) but a customer that we have may need us we will fit them in with out a problem, sometimes jobs get delayed so why not just adjust your sechuled and do them but the numbers will be higher <br><p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 03-08-2000, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Squeezing in is something that needs to go along with company policy I believe. For guys that book their season ahead of time, Its a matter of how tight the schedule is and what kind of reputation you want. If you like sticking to your word, then you want to make sure that you get to the jobs when you said you would. Today, being on schedule goes a long way with customers and gives you great credibility. On the hand, sometimes the oppurtunity is just to tempting. <p>I was doing a paver drive once, like 1000 sq. ft. for a company and the neighbor came over and asked about the price. After hearing it, he said it sounded good and wondered if we could do his. Now, it doesn't take a scientist to realize that all your equipment is there already and you could bang it out in no time and make a nice profit. So we did the drive way and walked away only 1 and 1/2 days off schedule. <p>Sometimes squeezing is a way to make good money, but if you did it a lot, then you may start having to deal with those customers that start calling everyday asking why you aren't there yet, which is not fun.
Old 03-09-2000, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I like to leave time in between jobs to squeeze in the inevitable high profit job which always seem to occur when you're busy. It's easy to tell the customers you'll be there early but much harder to explain why you'll be late. People always seem to see us in a neighbourhood and want their place done too. Guess it's the &quot;keeping up with the Jones'&quot; syndrome. Anyway I can't schedule jobs well enough to not have a little time between jobs.
Old 03-10-2000, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not good enough? That's the ideal, having slack between - gets you to the next one early. I've been putting more slack into my schedule this year just so I don't have to apologize for being late.<p>You mentioned that these 'last minute' ones were high profit. How much of a premium do you charge these folks?
Old 03-11-2000, 04:47 PM
Lawnsite Addict

We will usally up the job price by 10%-15% (covers overtime and the like) most jobs that we take are bid out and at certain time of the year if you have free time or can rework your schedule you can get your self a real money maker.<p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 03-13-2000, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Stonehenge, if a customer wants to be squeezed in I figure he's ripe for a 10-15% increase in price&gt; I don't consider this a rip off but an adjustment for market pressure. If the customer looks like a whiner, they get the annoyance factor upped. I regulerly add an annoyance factor to old people,(the worst) or lawyers, or teachers. Well, you get the idea. I figure this is just a fair compensation for the agravation they inevitably cause. If there was someway of adding this on at the end I would but so far I have never felt that I have ovedrcharged for this. The clients that get the largest annoyance factor are the real pains in the ass and I wish I had charged them more. This fee ranges from 10-20% and they don't ussually object because most other contractors must be doing this as well, All jobs that are squeezed in should have an extra charge as the customer is getting special service. They apreciate that you were able to help them out. This year, with the market so hot, we will be adding extra compared to last year. Labour is more, gas is up and more people want my limited time. These natural pressures will push everyone's price up. Happy hunting!
Old 03-14-2000, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No need to justify price increases to me. While I do have a few philanthopic bones in my body, I also firmly believe that I should always charge as much as the market will bear. And the annoyance factor is right on. I made the big mistake last year of taking on a bigger project, on slimmer margins, to someone in one of your categories. Was worried I'd end up regretting it the whole time, and was right. Will likely end up in litigation, as they still owe me $$.<p>Thanks for your info.<p>