Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-04-2010, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scag48 View Post
I thought you had a pretty sweet gig on a road crew?
Company got audited and folded up, there is also no mo snow!

Spent the last little while at the local iuoe 115 training site, completing the plant operator course. They've got a jaw, cone, multiple screen decks and we were actually making material for their asphalt lay down course. Class of nine kids was a nice size. So for now I wait for them to find me a job and join the union or I can find my own.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bummer about the snow gig, but what can you do? Never been laid off until last season working for a large outfit, rocked my world. Up until then, if I wanted work, I had it. It's a strange feeling to show up to work one day only to find out it's your last. Things will turn around, you'll be alright, damn near spring anyhow.

I won't toot my horn about the union too much, I think that's a decidsion a guy needs to make for himself. I do believe it's a good deal, at least down here in WA, for a guy to learn a hell of a lot about the business and get paid pretty well to do it. Heavy highway is a riot, I love it and would prefer to stay in this line of work if I gotta work for someone. With that said, I'll go anywhere and do anything to pay the bills, but the dynamics of large projects and challenges we encounter make it very rewarding.

Good thing about working in a pit is that you know where you're going every day. Makes it a little easier to budget for commuting, have a social life and less of a PITA if you're involved with the opposite sex. At the rate I'm going, I'm on track to put 35-40K miles per year on my car. Hopefully my crew takes a job a little closer to home on the next one, I still have another year where we're at right now.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 02-05-2010, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Put in an application at the Public Works from the City of Abbotsford, they always have something open, lots of old farts are now retiring.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 02-05-2010, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Which pits were you referring to Ron? I really want to get into a pit, or working with some sort of aggregate. Not go work for the city.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant View Post
Which pits were you referring to Ron? I really want to get into a pit, or working with some sort of aggregate. Not go work for the city.
Phone Lower Mainland Sand and Gravel, ask if they have an opening in the Cox road station, also phone Highland Quarry.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 02-05-2010, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No ones hiring, sent in resumes.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

The gravel mines are slow, LaFarge has laid off 30 guys from a couple of their pits, Lehigh has laid off quite a few people in their pit no gravel sales and Cewe has laid a bunch of people off. BA Blacktop is dead right now I know quite a few of the guys are not working.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
The gravel mines are slow, LaFarge has laid off 30 guys from a couple of their pits, Lehigh has laid off quite a few people in their pit no gravel sales and Cewe has laid a bunch of people off. BA Blacktop is dead right now I know quite a few of the guys are not working.
Go away GR you've got nothing positive to add. post in another thread.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Ohwell you can wish for a job all you want I have relatives that work for Lafarge and know people that work for Cewe and Lehigh and BA Blacktop.

With Lafarge they laid off a whole bunch of guys from the Limestone Pit on Texada the Earle Creek Pit is running with far less crew the Cewe pit is running with less crew. There is no gravel sales the only thing keeping Lafarge going right now is the Port Mann bridge project once that is done they have nothing lined up. Lafarge is on a hiring freeze the bean counters back in Quebec said no more new employees.

So if you think I'am being negative talk to the guys that are laid off from the gravel pits and don't know when they are going back to work.

Talking to my brother today and a excavation contractor friend of ours is really hurting he said that he is getting just enough work to keep the bills paid one step away from folding up. Another excavation contractor my brother does work for is pretty much broke his familly is helping with the bills to keep him from loosing everything.

All these guys are hurting severely the work is just not out there. Be in business for 20-30 years and get taken out because of the recession really sucks.

I have contacts in pretty much every industry so I hear all the bad news.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really don't give a **** who know, or what contracts you have, or what the **** you think, or how you feel!

Get the **** out my threads and go be dismal elsewhere. For me, you're somewhere between a cockroach and that white stuff that accumulates at the corner of your mouth when you're really thirsty