Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2000, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello all,<p>While out clearing a fence line today, I came up with a idea and just wanted to see if anyone has seen, thought of, or has a company setup with a theme. <p>I want to start a landscape construction company, but want to keep it basic. I find that when you start getting into many different aspects of the field, it becomes difficult to manage them all. Some guys stay to just paver installs, while others stick to water gardens, etc., etc. To me, it seems like the way to go. You keep your mind on one thing and are able to develop a real niche this way. <p>My idea was to start a company based off of my education. I went to school at Penn state and thought about dedicating a company to just this. To start, I would do all my work with a central theme of school pride. Everything planted would have a blue and white theme. Other possibilities are installation of school symbols, such as statues and symbols installed in Paver patios/drives. As i think about it, the possibities would be endless.<p>Whether there are enough people interested or willing to buy the services, I'm not sure. What I do know is this though. Something like every 1 out of 750 people in NJ are PS graduates, so I figured that would be a good start. Also, after going to football games all the time, I've realized that these folks love to spend money. They buy 100,000 RVS painted blue and white just to see 6 games a year. The money is definitely there, that I am sure of. <p>Business wise, it could also work. Design could be developed in a package type manner, with different types or levels. Materials, being that the same ones are used all the time, could be bought in bulk and stockpiled. Also, speciality items, could be developed to have a unique niche. An example would be having a paver plant manufacture blue and white pavers just for my sole use. I know they cam custom make colors already, so I could get a bulk order made up depending on how many I will need for a season. <p>This is all just a concept, and may sound crazy, but when giving it thought, it seems like it might work. <p>Just seeing what anyone thinks out there. Thanks.<p>steveair<p><br>
Old 03-07-2000, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Not too bad an idea. Like you said this could be somewhat limited. But hey you'd think that water gardening would be also and its not. I wouldn't strictly limit myself to this idea(I don't think you are) but rather make it what you are really good at. Just like a water garden designer doesn't always only do the water gardens. The clients you capture you should retain by installing annual blue/white color every year. Do something new and neat with it. <p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY
Old 03-13-2000, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

THE GUY I WAS PARTNERED UP WITH A THIS LANDSCAPE SHOW DOES STAMPED CONCRETE. HE'S DONE SCHOOL EMBLEMS IN THE CONCRETE STAMPED RIGHT IN THERE. IDEA FOR REAL FANS. AND MAYBE IN THE DRIVE WAY WITH A BASKET BALL HALF COURT THING GOIN ON .