Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-15-2010, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Will sealcoating help?

Ok this is going to be a somewhat long winded question. Last year I was running a 6 ton mini ex on my 200' steep asphalt drive way. The asphalt was about 7 yrs old and in ok condition. It was getting cracks and I was staying on top of them with crack filler. I had planned on getting it sealcoated.
Well the mini ex ended up cracking and breaking the edge on me and come to find out it was only about 2" thick. So I called my insurance and had them come take a look. They told me to file a claim and get some quotes for repairs.
So I got a few and they all wanted to fill in the damage with new asphalt and then add another 2" binder coat to the entire drive. So I removed all the damaged sections and the driveway was paved over.

When the contractor was finished there were spot in the asphalt that didn't look completely compacted. I showed him and he said as we drove on it, it would compact completely. This was this past summer and now I'm already seeing some small cracks and area's still look like they're not compacted. So I was thinking that sealcoating it might be the answer. I was going to call the contractor but I'm sure he's not going to be too eager to fix it. I could always call my insurance and let them deal with it but I'm not the type of guy to get into that unless I have to. So since I'm not knowledgable in this area I thought maybe you guys could point me in the right direction.

Matt
Old 02-15-2010, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Weak base

Your getting the cracks in the driveway because the base was not prepped right (meaning that the stone and sand under was either to thin and or not compacted enough), by putting another layer over top will only cover it up for awhile. It may be OK for regular vehicle travel but not heavy vehicles hope this helps.
05' 48" Ariens 2148XL ZTR W/Grass Catcher
06' 36" Gravely W/B W/Grass Catcher
06' 1 Ryobi Trimmer
09 Echo SMR 210 trimmer
09 Ryobi hand-held blower
06' Mclane Edger
? Craftsman self propeled W/Bagger(was giving to me)
? Toro Recycler ll W/Bagger I picked up at a rummage sale for $5.00
Old 02-15-2010, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Is the area still level or is there heeving around it?
Old 02-16-2010, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The area is a down hill section which gets alot of run off. There are no heaves just a few small cracks. It seems like the asphalt aggregate didn't properly bond to itself. The contractors were hired to correct the issue not band aid it. I can post some pics when the snow melts

Matt
Old 02-16-2010, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Poor compaction or a bad base would most likely cause slight sinking or swelling. "Spidering" is a condition USUALLY caused by an outside source. Are there any nut or fruit-bearing trees around that section? I am suprised they didn't remove and replace the old driveway. If the problem is superficial, Sealmaster sells a "bandaid" trowelable material called gatorpave. That and sealcoat will also protect it from future damage. Another option would be "cut & paste" that one section.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Member

If that area was cracked before, and overlooked before repaving, that is a typical case of reflective cracking. If that is the case, I agree that overlaying that will only cover it up for a while. In that situation, there is really no way around it. It would have to be cut out, and replaced.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The area's that were cracked before were all removed. I did this personnaly as I wanted to make sure. The cracks are shallow and small. But I'd expected now cracks for a few years any ways. I'm most concerned about the asphalt that seems not to have bonded together. As soon as I can I'll snap a few pics so it will be easier to understand what I'm looking at.

Matt
Old 02-17-2010, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

so you cut out al the areas where the cracks were? compacted binder in those areas, was a tack coat applied on top of the old driveway... sounds to me like they put a very thin coat on top of the driveway. if the cracks are along the edges, that is a another issue.. Sealcoating wont do a thing..
Old 02-18-2010, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes to the base compaction of the damage area's. The cracks are in the middle where the angle of the slope changes. They appear superficial I'm more concerned about the area's that didn't bind well. The contractor put tack over the existing asphalt and then applied 2-3" on top. So my total depth is about 4-5"

Matt