Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-05-2010, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Pricing Mulch Jobs

Hey guys, I am in the Athens, Georgia area. Are there any of you out there near my area that can offer some honest insight on the most fair yet profitable way to price a mulch job? What I have been doing for the last year or so is charge the customer my cost for the mulch (usually $25-$35 per cubic yard depending) then a $50 deliverry fee no matter how much is involved (not the customer's fault I have a small truck and have to make several trips right?) and a flat $50 per cubic yard to install. Is this fair to the customer? To me? Reason I ask, I have found some other prices across the country in different spots that are flippin outrageous!!! Am I charging enough? Too much? For the wrong things? Any help is appreciated very very much. Especially from you guys near my area. Thanks!

Josh
Old 02-05-2010, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i get mulch for $24.99 a yard and charge the customer $30 a yard. delivery charge depends on how far away the customer is and i charge $65 a yard to install. every area is differtent. sometimes the price has to go down a smidge ( but to low ball) to get the job! hope this helps. i hope to get alot of mulch jobs in 2010!!
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 02-05-2010, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey thanks bud for the reply! That does help a lot! I guess I am being fair with my customers then. I see it is all relative. Thanks for the tips and in advance for more!
Old 02-05-2010, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I charge by the hour for bags. I can put out about 12-15 bags on a residential with light bed prep in one hour.
For bigger jobs, I charge my hourly rate and figure hour per yard.
I also do a 20% markup on every material job.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info stevenf. Some more really good options to consider.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why are you picking it up?? The cost is good @ $25-$30/yard, but why not gert it delivered. Typically that will cost you $35 or so depending on how much. One time delivery charge will save you the time and money it takes to go get it. Then charge the $50/ yd to install it. In our area $50/yd installed is a fair price and no matter what these guys tell you, you are not going to get huge money on mulch, prices have dropped significantly over the past few years so stick with the 50 and have it delivered.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I just pick it up myself because the buttholes I buy my mulch from dumped some sod one time and it pissed me off and I don't want them just dumping the mulch wherever the heck is convenient for them. I like having the mulch in my truck and trailer the whole time. It allows me to keep the job site clean and neat and with minimal cleanup. I just don't trust the company I get my mulch from plain and simple. They have even lied to me about prices before as well as availability of mulch. They say they have five yards available and I get there and there's maybe one, maybe. I Just don't trust 'em with it.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Another question: for those mulch jobs when I have to remove the old mulch (large pine bark) to go back with a different kind (double ground decorative covering), what is a fair way to price removal of old mulch? Thanks!
Old 02-09-2010, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

not in your area but $50 is not much for delivery...you may be able to have the co. your buying the mulch from deliver
Old 02-09-2010, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah and they would be cheaper but they suck at where they decide to dump the stuff. I like it in my trailer and my truck where I want it when I want it there. It's just really convenient.