Register free!

Old 02-06-2010, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Waterfall plans

I'm planning on building a waterfall and pond in my yard this spring and since I've never taken on anything like this before, I'm looking for as much information & help as I can get. I live in a small town where there is absolutely nothing in the way of supplies. I went to the pool supply company to ask if they supplied liners or pumps and they had no idea where to even order the liner from, nor were they familiar with what type of pump I would need. In fact the person I asked didn't know there was such a thing as low pressure, high volume pumps; thought they were all the same.

So to begin with; I want the waterfall to replicate Niagara Falls, with a small stream to a pond. I am hoping to have the actual waterfalls to be about 6 feet wide. And about 5 feet above the water level of the pond. What is the better type of pump and why. Should it be submersible or not, and how big should the plumbing be and what should the GPH be.
Here's a pic of the area I plan to build it in.
Thanks
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2010, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You better check local regulations and codes on a front yard pond first (depth and size). You might have to move that project to the backyard. Here on Long Island that would have to be fenced in for safety. The fence would take away from the overall look of the pond. As far as companies, i use Aquascapes Inc products with very good results. They are not the cheapest but is readily available in my area. Some guys will argue this all day, but i have no problems their products. Good luck
Old 02-08-2010, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need more pics of the orange car under the tarp.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Twitchy. You could have a major liability problem with putting a Pond in front of your home w/o fencing it in. Check with the local authorities AND your insurance carrier.
If you are looking for just visuals, go with a Pondless Waterfall. In either case, for a Six (6) foot wide waterfall, you will need at least an 8,000 gph submersible pump with 3 inch plumbing.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm waiting to hear back from the township about that. The regular rule I think, is that if the water is more than 3 feet deep it has to have a fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danscapes View Post
Need more pics of the orange car under the tarp.
I's a Viper Red 1967 Ford Galaxie 500, 2dr hardtop. 390/4bbl/335hp
Attached Images

Last edited by Niagara Falls; 02-08-2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Spelling & add pic
Old 02-08-2010, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Tadpole; if I need 8000gph for the falls, how many gallon pond would I need to ensure there is no suction sounds, or swirling water as it is sucked in by the pump?
I still need to know which way to go in the pump. Whether immersible, or an outside pump house.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Am I correct in assuming that you are planning on doing this installation yourself? I would strongly recommend that you DO NOT attempt a feature of this size without any prior experience.

But to answer your question--the ultimate size of the Pond will depend on whether you plan on adding fish and if you want it to look natural in proportions.
The water flow will function properly with 1,000 gallon pond which is a very small pond and is completely disproportionate in size to the planned waterfall.

You will need a large Skimmer box to house the pump. You need to plan on diffusing the water flow on outflow end of the piping. 130+gpm is a lot of water coming out of a 3" pipe.

You will need biological filtration. You will need to allow space for aquatic plants (an absolute necessity). There are many, many other things that must be considered in a project this size. This is definitely NOT a DYI project.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Why is this not a DIY? I've seen many waterfalls/ponds that are evn bigger than mine and they are DIY's.

I think you might be surprised at just how good some on us non-professionals are at doing things. I've built many sheds. a cottage, put in at least 6 docks, re-built an old car, renovated 3 houses and done many other various around the house things. I do admit I have had to tear down, start again, call frineds etc., but the satisfaction of living is in accomplishing feats to help keep the blood flowing.
I most likely will be posting questions on this site as I go, but I'm sure I will succeed.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Take into consideration w/ a waterfall of that size is the sediment disturbance. Nothing would ever settle. It would have to be a very deep pond (install in the backyard ). You're also talking 6' long falls, your pond will have to 15' or larger just satisfy the height of 5' you want to achieve also. How about machinery? You can't build a water feature that big without using massive boulders. Don't even try, it will look ridiculous. My water features consist of 1/2 -2 ton boulders. This is a big job. Not saying you can't do it ,but if it doesn't work out it's just as much work to tear it down.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the attitude that 'No Goal is Unattainable'. Good Luck. Sincerely.