Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2010, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Idea about John Deere 1545 front mowers??

Just doing a litle probing here, have been thinking alot about how versitle the front mowers such as the john deere 1545 are and I am considering getting rid of all the Zs and geting one. Here is my thought, and this has nothing to do with the equipment im running now because i like what I have.

My thought is with the JD front mowers I can do everthing I need to and then some. Mowing in the summer, fall clean up (with there awesome hydro dump MC unit, snow removal (four wheel drive) and also be covered with a cab for heat on them cold spring days, rain days, hot summer days AC and fall cold days also. Thinking something like custom snow blowing in winter, so much destruction every winter with the plow trucks. So are there any LCOs that run these mowers and how do they stand up to productivity compared to the Zs.

I know they are expensive and all that hoopla, just want some input what you guys think. Pros cons and what not. Thanks Dave

Lakeside Lawn & Landscape
Old 02-07-2010, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't run one, but almost bought one. It was an older model JD at an auction, I bid on it but didn't win. I had the same train of thought that you did.

Anyway, I think you're on the right track with your thinking. The idea of having a cab on there with full heat and A/C is a great idea. Not only would that keep you more comfortable during the day but also keep you cleaner and more productive. Now I can't see this being much less productive than a Z. It may be a little harder to manuver and take a little longer to turn around, but those things won't hurt productivity too much. I like the idea.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 02-07-2010, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I made the switch about 6 years ago from a 1445 to a 997 Z. A z is way faster and more manuverable, a lot cheaper, and worth way more on trade in. If you want one of them for the snow work and such, then maybe, but I would not trade in a bunch of z's for front mounts, just my 1 cent worth
PJ trailers
Stihl handhelds
John Deere skids
Snow Ex spreaders
Arctic sectional plows

Old 02-07-2010, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been wanting to get a 1445 set up for snow, and maybe for the collection system too. Mowing I dont think it would be as slick as my stander, or any zero turn for that matter. I know a guy that bought one and uses it as a snow only machine, doesn't even own a mower deck for it. Seems like a great idea, and i've even thought about it before, but I'm just not sure about the machine for a fine mowing machine. Maybe if It was mowing soccer fields?
Old 02-07-2010, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Very interesting input so far. I also have to add that I do not offer snow plowing so this would be an added revenue for the business. I drive fuel oil and propane trucks for a local company during the busy winter months but would like to break off from this soon. Thanks

Old 02-07-2010, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another thing is I am so sick and tired of the adverse weather conditions around here lately. Hense the cab idea. I mean, it rained here so much this past season I almost lost it, we cant ever have that much rain again or I might do something drastic here. If its not 40 deg its 95 if its not raining its snowing plus dusty and well you know what I mean if you been in the biz long enough!!

Old 02-10-2010, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any other input on this one then i will leave it?

Old 11-26-2012, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

John Deere 1545

I have two John Deere 1545 mowers with leaf collection sysytem, 72" mower, Broom System, Snow Blower System. They are very expensive yet they also are very versitile. We use them all year around for everything within our City. These machines are also driven to every job site, we do not trailer them. They do every mile of side walk in the City, gutter cleaning, Lot cleaning, Cemetary cleanup including but not liited to leaf clean up, and City Parks. I have done many modifications to our machines to make it work in a more logical way. They are costly to repair but they can be used year round. We do have z riders also and they are much faster and can get into smaller locations yet you are limited.
Thanks , I hope this help some.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I think you'll end up making more money with distinct machines for distinct seasons. Fast, versatile z's in the summer, and a single stage or cheap two stage snowblower + truck plow in the winter. I understand wanting to use a front mower for everything, but I have typically experienced the following statement to ring true: "Jack of all trades, master of nothing."