Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-07-2010, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Expensive Trucks

Is it just me or does it seem like all trucks are over priced these days. The dealers think your truck is worthless and theirs are gold. I guess these days its just best to hold on to your truck forever or buy older trucks to work out of.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

exactly, thats how they make the big money. Best to buy used and keep them till the rust away!
Old 02-07-2010, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you can't even drive around the lots without the salesmen running you down. I hate that. Just leave me alone till I come to you.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Screw car lots. Craigslist is the best deals. The same trucks on Craigslist for $10K are on the car lots for $15K. I try to keep my spending on trucks around $10K because you can get into something decent and likely reliable for an affordable price. The only way I'd spend $50K on a pickup is if I was so rich I was wiping my crack with $100 bills. My 1996 2500 Chevy has served me very well and it was $10K about 6 years ago. I still prefer it over my newer lower miles Dodge Cummins. I know a guy who buys brand new Super Duty Fords every year and his trucks spend more time getting worked on than anything I've ever seen. He pimps them out and trades in at a huge loss. $50K truck, $3K lift, $4K wheels/tires, $2K other stuff for total of around $60K. One year later trades in and gets $30K trade just to do it all over again. I get 6-8 years out of a $10K truck and around $2K in repairs.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't forget, but buying used, at least in Ontario, you only pay one tax instead of two if you had bought the same vehicle at a dealer.

Newer vehicles I find are mainly for people who lease, knowing that they can hand the keys back after 2-4 years. You might pay slightly more for it, but it's less to deal with down the road as far as repairs go. Still, technology has a price. I prefer the older trucks myself, pre 2004 models when they were built to a purpose, not a price point.

The only way to order a good, everyday work truck is the 1500 series, where you can get a short box, 2wd, ext cab and a V6. Granted, it can't plow or do as much as a 3/4 ton, but if both units are new, I could get a 1/2 ton for just over $24K before tax with current incentives. A 2500 series gas model, about $44K base quad cab. Diesel adds another $10K here in Canada, including the mandatory automatic transmission except for Dodge who still offers a manual so you can save nearly $2K.

Personally, I prefer Dodge vehicles for ease of maintenance and compared to GM or Ford for that matter, properly maintained, they'll all last the same. For a while I thought about giving GM a try, as the suspensions are better (read: more compliant loaded or not) than the competition. I have yet to drive the new Dodge 1500 with the coil rear suspension, but again, I think in the end it'll be more costly to repair. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Solid axle truck, front and rear, is the best work horse you can get, and if you can find a well maintained used unit in decent shape, it'd be the best one to buy. Even buying new, after dealer and manufacturer incentives, the minute you drive it off the lot, you can expect to lose $2-5K in depreciation right off the bat.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I'd agree trucks are way over priced but what are we going to do? Got to have them.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

With our five trucks they are all used and work fine. I have no problem spending for repairs as I have no other overhead in the form of truck payments. If business is slow I can idle a truck and it does not cost me any money and I can put it back in service very easy. I just can't seem to justify spending big bucks on a truck hauling a trailer that is going to get dinged up by workers who just don't care.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I thought this too when I was truck shopping a couple years ago. You are nearing $45-$50K for a one ton!!! and sometimes more! and 3/4 tons arent much cheaper either? The last time I checked 4x4 option is around $1200.-$1500 , but there is always a HUGE price difference in 2wd and 4wd trucks???? For the price of a new 3/4 or one ton you could easily buy a medium duty truck( other than the fords), that doesnt make much sense? Trucks are way overpriced, its a truck for gods sake,not a luxury car!!
Old 02-11-2010, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKle View Post
I thought this too when I was truck shopping a couple years ago. You are nearing $45-$50K for a one ton!!! and sometimes more! and 3/4 tons arent much cheaper either? The last time I checked 4x4 option is around $1200.-$1500 , but there is always a HUGE price difference in 2wd and 4wd trucks???? For the price of a new 3/4 or one ton you could easily buy a medium duty truck( other than the fords), that doesnt make much sense? Trucks are way overpriced, its a truck for gods sake,not a luxury car!!
Nearing 45-50k?? Man theyre all there already and have been for a few years..Dodges new single wheels are 50k now..

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 02-11-2010, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKle View Post
Trucks are way overpriced, its a truck for gods sake,not a luxury car!!
Mine is.

2003 F-250 PSD 7.3 v8 W/dump insert
Western 7'6" Ultramount
6x12 open trailer
36" Scag belt drive/2 wheel Velke2
48" Walker MTGHS
52" Scag Hydo drive
Redmax backpack blowers 2-7001/1-8001
Little Wonder push blower
Stihl fs90 trimmer
Stihl KM 90 Kombi w/string/hedge/edger
Redmax HT2300 30" hedge trimmer